1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

College professors

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by The Scribe, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

A University of Maine student alleges her former professor offered extra credit to class members if they burned the American flag or the U.S. Constitution or were arrested defending free speech.On the first day of class, associate professor Paul Grosswiler offered the credit to members of his History of Mass Communications class, according to sophomore Rebekah McDade. Disturbed by the comment, McDade dropped the class and intends to take the course again next semester with a different professor.

Flag-burning 'lesson' provokes UM student

Weren't we just talking about liberal college professors?

Can't they just fire and prosecute any professor that does anything like this?

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it would break any laws, and the professor probably has tenure, so they can't fire him for it.

3. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

Just an interesting note. U of Maine is a public university: They recieve tax funding. Our tax money is paying for college professors to teach the next generation of leaders to hate America.

I realize that it's just my openion, but I think a review of their funding might be in order.

4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Talk about indoctrination.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==As long as students keep taking his classes the University will probably not take any serious action against him.

6. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

They need to review their funding immediately.

Since this is a tax funded school his tenure, if he has it, shouldn't matter.

Also, because he's a liberal traitor.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

She shoulda stuck it out :)

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tenure is a valuable thing. Without tenure, scholarship becomes more and more PC because people fear being fired.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grosswiler "If they don’t tolerate thought that they hate, they don’t believe in the First Amendment."

This is a very good point. Freedom meaning having to allow other people to express opinions and to engage in non-violent actions that may turn our stomachs.

10. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

If we must tolerate this then why not gay marriage, abortion, murder, and so on?

There are some things that we must not tolerate. This is one of them.

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apples and oranges. Free expression is central to the survival of a free state.

If you don't like free expression, there is a large country in Asia that doesn't believe in it. Look them up.

12. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

It's not apples and oranges.

I would assume from your post you support gay marriage and abortion.

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you assume incorrectly.

There is a fundamental difference between free expression and murder. Ditto for free expression and the legal undermining of marriage.

14. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I used to think it was fine to do the things this professor believes in.

But, I can't any more. I may not like the way this country has strayed from it's morals and God, but if we can't stand behind our own country then it will fall and we can't try to change it as much as possible.

My grandfather fought in Korea, I have other family members that fought in wars. It would be like spitting in every veterans face by burning a flag.

Also, the Muslims and other terrorists like to burn our flag and Israel's flag. It's wrong, cowardly, and an act of treason.

15. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    anybody know where one can buy a toilet paper with an American flag motiff ?
    Or maybe a Mt. Rainier one ? Or one with the US Constitution on it ?
    [crude comment snipped]

#15 pinoybaptist, Nov 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2007
  16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because things are insulting doesn't mean they should be illegal. My father was a veteran who lived a large portion of his life in a wheelchair because of his injuries during the Korean War. My grandfather (maternal side) was killed in the Battle of the Bulge. I have a brother who fought in Vietnam and still deals with the effects of Agent Orange and his hearing loss from combat.

I personally disagree with the burning of the flag, but my family members served honorably to protect the cause of freedom. Freedom means that sometimes people are going to do things that we don't like. If we disallowed everything with which we disagreed, we wouldn't be free.

I don't consider burning the flag an act of treason. At the end of the day, it's a piece of cloth. Is it highly symbolic? Yes. Does it mean a lot to many people? Yes. But it's still a piece of fabric, not a person or a nation. I would not personally burn the flag in protest, but I can understand why others would disagree.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abortion is a violent act against another person. Murder is a violent against another person.

Burning a flag is not a violent act against another. A flag is personal property and the owner can do with it as he wishes regardless of whether you or I approve of it.

If marriage is truly "holy matrimony" then the government should have no say in the matter one way or the other. If it "holy" then it is a matter for the church alone to deal with.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should Americans care what someone does to an Israeli flag?

It is not an act of treason to burn a flag. It is an expression of intolerance on your part to call it such.

Also, trying to tie flag burning to Muslims is nothing more than religion-baiting on your part. There was a lot of flag burning going on during the Vietnam War protests when I was a teenager and it wasn't Muslims doing the burning.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look around on the Internet. It seems that one can find just about anything on it.

[comment related to snipped comment deleted]

#19 KenH, Nov 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2007
  20. billwald

billwald New Member

Half the American flags I see flown by "real" Americans are in disrepair and should be burned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.