1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

College

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by Dixie Girl, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Dixie Girl

Dixie Girl New Member

It's my senior year, and as school is winding down all of us senoirs have a very important decision to make: To go or not to go ( To college that is) How many of you are going or have gone to college, and how did you decide to go or not to go? Another question: If you knew you were going to get a scholarship would that affect your decision to go? :confused: Thanks for your input in advance :D

~Jess~ [​IMG]

2. extremebiblereader

extremebiblereader New Member

Well, I haven't really decided if I am going to college yet. Which I probably most likely will end up going. But I am not having the same problem you are having. I am trying to decide which one to go to. I hope you figure out what do about college. I know if it a big step for your future. My personal opinion, I would go if I had a scholarship. Most definitely, but most of the good jobs out there require a college degree. I would just go to further my education. Just my opinion.
    :D [​IMG]

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

To go or not to go? I had made up my mind when I was young that I was going to college. So, I did.

The choice was made when I was young. Most things in my life were set the pace for as such, and I believe they were God directed and God inspired.

The scholarships came when I knew that I was going, and I needed to keep my grades up. God's grace in all allowed me to not need to pay one red cent for college due to scholarships.

I applied for college; scholarships came.

4. Sularis

Sularis Member

Going allows for greater avenues of service in the future.

Not going allows for greater avenues of service now.

We have several gifts from God - and one of them is our mind - if we do not seek to develop it - then we fall prey to foolish doctrines - I am waking up and realizing that I too long have trusted Bibles made for profit - and that I need to study Hebrew and Greek so that God may more fully reveal Himself then by flawed translations

For me going to college was expected - you didnt go to college or university - you were considered pretty much a low-life worthless hick - since i grew up in a hick'ish town

5. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

How many of you are going or have gone to college, and how did you decide to go or not to go? Another question: If you knew you were going to get a scholarship would that affect your decision to go?

I went to college right after high school. I went because I was supposed to. I "chose" a very large state school in Virginia. I hated it. From the time I got there, I couldn't wait to graduate. That spring, I quit.

I took two years before going back to school.

That time, I was a little more open-ended in what I would study (the first go, I declared a major before starting), and had a few more standards for the school I would eventually choose. I had a better idea of what I wanted, and wasn't quite so focused on one aspect (at JMU, it had been the quality of the music school).

I ended up at a tiny (900 or so students) liberal Quaker college in Greensboro, NC. I loved it. I took a wide range of courses, and eventually created my own dilettant-ish major. If I didn't have other skills, I don't think anyone would have hired me. My major is purely academic, and fairly useless without a post-grad degree (I'm considering law school, or perhaps a graduate program in philosophy). But I wouldn't have it any other way. [​IMG]

The first time I went to college, like I said, I went because that's what you did after high school. It was a failure. The second time, I went because I wanted to go, and I thrived. I also incurred some debt. But I don't see that as a big deal for me. I'm making good enough money that it doesn't take too much of a chunk out of my monthly income.

I certainly would not let the cost of a school stop you from applying! Any good guidance counselor will tell you that, and they're right. There are scholarships out there. I didn't think I would get a scholarship, but I did (at the second - private - school). And a good thing, too!

Even if you're not sure, I'd apply anyway (you're running short on time about now, anyway), and spend the next few months figuring out what you'll do if you don't go to college.

6. try hard

try hard New Member

Dixie Girl,
    I am currently in my third year of bible college. What made me decide to go? Well, God opened the door of coarse! Right before my senior year in high school, I felt God calling me to work with youth. Now, in order for me to have the proper training, I knew I would have to attend a chrisitan college. During my senior year, I took a look at all of the brochures at they had at school and prayed that God would give me wisdom and show me which one He wanted me to attend. God provided scholarships and grants in order for me to come to college. What an awesome God we have!!!

Be careful to not to think just because a place offers you a scholarship means that is the place where God wants you. There are people with me here at bible college who were offered full paid scholarships to public universities and they turned it down because they knew the call of God in their life to serve. We as Christians are all called to serve Him and in my opinion, the best training for that is in a good, solid christian college.