1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Colleges & Parents HURTING Full Time Ministry

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dr. Bob, May 18, 2001.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Campus Life, an evangelical magazine with a finger on the christian college scene, runs ads for 30+ schools. Most look alike. What are they advertising to attract students?

General studies
    Education
    Nursing
    Psychology
    Information/Technology
    Computer
    Business
    Accounting

A few might add Pastoral, Missions, Evangelism, but I'd guarantee if you checked the enrollment in those programs, you see it a very small minority even at Bible Colleges.

Why? Young people have exhibited little interest in giving up the self-indulgent lifestyle in which they have grown up, for the sake of the "sacrifice of full-time ministry". What do they want?

Salary
    Stock options
    Perks
    Benefit package
    Living the American dream - car, house, family

Most of all, they want to be left alone. No hassle. Off my case. Do my own thing. Attend church if I feel like it, or join a health club. Drive a BMW, wear a pinstripe suit. Be a young Turk of the business world.

Their parents, the baby-boomers LIKE ME, have searched all our lives for that inner peace and satisfaction
    ~in politics
    ~in pot
    ~in promiscuity
    And now have finally found it
    ~in an IRA.

Why shouldn't our KIDS turn a blind eye to full-time ministry and instead get a life in the "real world".

They've learned the lesson well from me. MY GOALS have changed now that I am 50-something, and I'm having a hard time sitting in judgment.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ultimately, we are reaping what we have sown. We have sown discord in our churches or allowed it to be sown, so why should our youth want to lead what is fractured? We have shifted the burden from yielding to a greater sense of purpose, a sense of calling, to a sense of self seeking satisfaction. We have failed to pray for laborers and seek out to equip those who are already gifted for ministry. Ultimately, the problems of our colleges simply mirror the problems of the local church.

3. Karen

Karen Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:

A few might add Pastoral, Missions, Evangelism, but I'd guarantee if you checked the enrollment in those programs, you see it a very small minority even at Bible Colleges....

Why? Young people have exhibited little interest in giving up the self-indulgent lifestyle in which they have grown up, for the sake of the "sacrifice of full-time ministry"....
    Why shouldn't our KIDS turn a blind eye to full-time ministry and instead get a life in the "real world"....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the other hand, it could be seen as encouraging that these colleges are helping train young Christians to use a variety of spiritual gifts and talents to take a Christian mind and actions to a variety of place where Christ can be proclaimed, both directly and indirectly. Persons of my acquaintance in these professions routinely have the ability to witness to lots of people that know nothing about church.
    As well as impact the culture in a broader way. Let's be careful of a Catholic-like distinction between clergy and laity.

Karen

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

TomVols, I happen to think you are a 100% right. It is in our churches and our homes, that is where the problem starts and the rest is just the evidence of what is going on.
    And by the way we in Fl. wish to thank the people of Tn. for giving us Super Steve, WHAT A MAN. Just having fun, may you have a great day and see many of God's blessing that come your way(sometimes I'm blind to them).

5. TJAcorn

TJAcorn New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:
    [QBWhy? Young people have exhibited little interest in giving up the self-indulgent lifestyle in which they have grown up, for the sake of the "sacrifice of full-time ministry". What do they want?

Salary
    Stock options
    Perks
    Benefit package
    Living the American dream - car, house, family

Most of all, they want to be left alone. No hassle. Off my case. Do my own thing. Attend church if I feel like it, or join a health club. Drive a BMW, wear a pinstripe suit. Be a young Turk of the business world.
    [/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe I might have a different perspective than you since I myself am a "young Turk" (of 20 years) going to a secular University to get my degree in Architectural Engineering. My parents where hippies when I was borne but have since found themselves to be financially well off.

Personally, I have seen all the "Living the American dream - car, house, perks, etc." that you mentioned and I have seen first hand how "vain" they can be. Yet, I am still going pursue a degree that will give me the opportunity to acquire all those things. Why? because I believe it is wise. It is wise to have a "tent making" skill which God can use in whatever ministry He works out in my life.

Most of the Pastors and others that I have seen that are dependent on working in some ministry because they have no other skill also have limited exposure to the "real world" and opportunity to live out their testimony in front of the unsaved. Sure they are great at "ministering to the saints" and their position is greatly needed, but I see the need for Christian leaders in influential positions in the real world. We need to train up people to be teachers in secular universities where they can have a real impact on the unsaved. We need Christians in our government. We need them to be the leaders in America. How do you think a lasting revival will come if the influencers are Pagan?

I know at my school there are 150+ Christians who are also persuing an enginnering degree and most of those that I know have the same or close to the same view I do about this subject and are very active themselves making an impact on their campus for Christ right now.

Everywhere I go I see a revival of a desire to live for God in the Christians my own age. They have a desire to change the world. But there might be more efficient ways to create positive change than by going to a Christian College and getting a pastoral degree!

Trevor

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trevor -

Glad for the testimony of the young adults in your neck (or elbow) of the woods. That would be my prayer.

Having taught in an ifb college, however, I saw the great majority who want to live for God but live on their own terms.

The altruistic sacrifice and vision of youth is tempered by the pressure of parents and even our ifb colleges to prepare for other work -- deemphasizing ministry.

BTW, most ministers of the Baby-boom generation really CAN do something else, but choose to live in a hostile work condition, with little respect or honor (or compensation) because we are seeking to obey God.

Least wise, I know at least one who is!

[ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Alkire:
    TomVols, I happen to think you are a 100% right. It is in our churches and our homes, that is where the problem starts and the rest is just the evidence of what is going on.
    And by the way we in Fl. wish to thank the people of Tn. for giving us Super Steve, WHAT A MAN. Just having fun, may you have a great day and see many of God's blessing that come your way(sometimes I'm blind to them).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're welcome for Steve. Just be sure you keep him :D
    We try not to claim him up here :D

8. Natan'el Bar Tholmai

Been busy with finals and summer session starting, but interested to read this thread.

It is very true that in the 50-60's many young people attended bible institutes or bible colleges and went into the ministry because of "the call" from Mom and Dad!

Now, I fear the pendulum has swung too far the "other" direction (typical for baptists, don't you agree?) Mom and Dad, pastors and schools are so afraid of pushing young folks into the ministry that they fail to emphasize it "as a priority".

I want to train every young person as if they will be full-time ministers, then let GOD close the door if He desires them in education or business or whatever.

And I am on the front lines in the battle we are losing.

9. Hal Parker

Hal Parker New Member

Let me suggest another explanation to the original message in this thread.

How many Bible colleges were there 50 years ago? How many Bible colleges are there now? Hasn't there been a significant increase in the number of Bible colleges? That is a good thing. If you were to add up all the students preparing for the ministry from all of those colleges wouldn't that be a significant number?

Also, let me share something about someone that most of you have heard of and how he got started. This man earned a civil engineering degree. He hoped he could be a lay missionary to Turkey by using his engineering skills. God closed the door. This man went back to school and ended up with a Ph.D. in civil engineering. Along the way he became very concerned about the Creation/evolution issue. He began gathering information to defend the Biblical doctrine of Creation. He eventually coauthored a book that launched the modern Creation movement. That man is Dr. Henry Morris. Just because a man isn't isn't a preacher or missionary doesn't mean that he can't be used by God in a mighty way. I got my information from Dr. Morriss' book dealing with the history of the Creation movement.