1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Colloquialisms and euphemisms

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by SaggyWoman, Sep 1, 2001.

1. garpier

garpier New Member

Here in Connecticut we eat grinders. Some folks call them hoagies or subs or hero sandwiches.

2. Joy

Joy New Member

Hey, I was born in Southington, CT!!!

The first time I stopped in a Subway out here, I ordered a "meatball grinder." The girl looked at me funny and said, "I'm sorry, this is a sub place. We don't have those here." :eek: ;)

3. garpier

garpier New Member

I used to get the strangest looks from people in the hoagie shops of Pennsylvania , when I asked for a grinder. One guy told me "This isn't a machine shop."

BTW, Joy I do know your Uncle Ed. Check your private messages.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

KATHY!! I JUST noticed you makin' funna us Ohio peeps! Wuzzup wid dat? LoL! I think I have this really strange concoction of phrases from everywhere, hee hee, but I guess if I don't think about it Kathy may just have me pegged. My last rant to the children went something like......"You want taters fer supper? Don't you SEE I'm cookin' taters? Girls, you best GIT on out my kitchen 'fore I do somethin' downright improper! G'won now! Quicker! And don't you be gittin' inta nothin' you ain't allowed to be touchin' neither!"
    I CAN speak proper English, ahem, lol, I think? [​IMG]
    da Gina

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've got one for you
    winder lights
    got any ideas what that is? I'll telll tomorrow, see if anyone gets it right.

How about an eye, not the eye you see with either.

maters? pronounced maaters, long a.

I'm from Chicago, so I had a hard time adjusting to the language.

Adam,
    at one time I think it was called soda pop, both words. Why it was shortened I don't know, seems notherners went with pop(my grandmother called it that) southerners went with soda. So I think technically they are both right.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

saggywoman
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Sorry about this, guys, but sometimes the women get their panties in a wad <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've got that one too.

Joy, we have aplace here called grinders and pizza, we all wanted to know what grinders were. They bake them open faced, melt the cheese. They're really good, but we haven't been there in a long time.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I kinda like the knickers in a twist.

8. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Ya'll a buncha booger pickin' rednecks! [​IMG]

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: John Wells ]

9. Grace

Grace New Member

I never hear the word "Soda" down here (unless you mean Baking Soda) It's Coke, and then you tell them what kind of coke you want.

I have been told that I'm the only person that a "friend" of mine (from Ohio :eek: ) met down here that was not "an southern, uneducated, redneck, hick" :eek: (She aint met too many people in Gawgia) My reply was "Well, I can speak properly if and when I choose to do so, however, when I am around my friends I choose to speak in the dialect that reflects what I am most comfortable with." She didn't say a whole lot after that... [​IMG]

10. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Katie Wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I've got one for you
    winder lights
    got any ideas what that is? I'll telll tomorrow, see if anyone gets it right.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Winder lights=window panes, glass in a window. ;)

Now Ima fixin' to fetch myself a slosh o' ice tea an' a sammich. :D

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Jeff, you got it. But then your a southerner too. I didn't know what they meant the first time I heard that.

eye= electric stove burner

mater= tomato

12. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Katie

[​IMG] Yep a Southern hillbilly born and bred, no less. Course you know the South is another country culturally, and the Southern Appalachains is still yet different from the South proper.

I used to have a boss 2nd generation Italian fellow, raised in Manhattan. Boy did we get into a tangle of words from time to time, especially when he started with the New Yorkisms. The more he did that, the thicker I laid on the Southern accent and idioms.

I do confess to playing with words, idioms, to the consternation of my Northern born friends. It is great fun.

And remember, keep the South beautiful, put a Yankee on a bus. :D :D :D :D :D

13. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Took ya long enough GINA! DAAAAANNNNNGGGG! *hehe*

Katie: WHERE ARE THE ANSWERS! LoL maaters HAS to be tomatoes right? LoL

Now as for you Adam my friend...it's SODA not POP! Grrrr Well, I forgive you, as long as it's COCA-COLA, we're straight...LoL

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

14. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Whoops! Talk about DUH...it helps to hit PAGE THREE so you can see the WHOLE thread before you make dumb statements! LoL Uhhh, this is my brother Darrell, and this is my other brother Darrell! *hehe*

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thats ok Kathy, sometimes I think I have those same brothers too.