1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Colored wristbands

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Salamander, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Everyone knows them, their those rubberbands with sports teams logos, "Support Breast Cancer Research", love, etc., and just about anything else you would expect.

But I have been made aware they mean specific things when a young lady wears one, or more.

Though I don't know their specific meanings, certain colors are supposed to convey the message of what "one is willing to do", with the subject of "sex" in mind.

Can anyone be more specific about this?

Thanks,

Alan Manders the Salamander

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I think you are thinking about "Jelly bracelets" which are different from "rubber bracelets".

Google Search: jelly bracelets

Google Search: rubber bracelets

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I do not know many specifics of it, but I do know the our local school nurse shared with the pastors in town of this kinda game going on in the schools around the country. It is scary and sad.

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

The "sports bracelets" are rubber, and support things like cancer research. (Maining the yellow Lance Armstrong bracelet." That is all that one means.

The little "jelly" bracelets are new-age nonsense. Just as "certain crystals" meant certain things, the colors of the bracelets do.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The jelly bracelets are not really New Age, they supposedly signal how far a girl is willing to go -- touch, kiss, or further.

I've been told by some teens that girls wear these more to be provocative than to actually signal a sincere intention or willingness, but who knows? With how sexualized the culture is, it is not surprising these bracelets are out there with their supposed messages.

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

This is tame compared to the so-called "Rainbow Party". I won't post the details here, but you can Google it if you want to know. Apparently it is a big deal with kids, although I don't know if it is true or not. Snopes comes up empty on it.

BTW, Snopes lists the Jelly Bracelet thing as undetermined.

7. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I read something about these jelly bracelets. Jelly bracelets themselves have been around for a while. This game isn't an idea of the manufacturers at all! I think some teenagers made it up and propagated it on the web.

One account I read said that boys would try to break girls' bracelets, and if they succeeded the girl had to do whatever act that color bracelet signifies.

I don't know how widespread this game is--my opinion is not very.

8. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

Whatever happened to teaching kids that the first kiss is reserved for when the pastor says, "You may kiss the bride"?

Please tell me I'm not the only mother left of Earth teaching my kids this.

9. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Well I asked a teenager today about it, and it is true. Its not those wider bands with a message on them. THey are thinner and solid colors, each signifying how far a girl is willing to go. And if I guy breaks it (i think she said on first try) then the girl is obligated to give him "favors". I was very disappointed to learn that a girl in our youth group wears a black one, which (the teen I asked thinks) means "all the way" :(

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Sigh, I just asked Precious. She says the same is going on at her school. Precious is 12 and was in 7th grade last year. I wondered why she wanted jelly bracelets and then suddenly wouldn't have anything to do with them. Now I know.....

ViJ, no you are not the only mother teaching her kids when kissing is allowed.

Not only, but I've started setting strict rules about how long a boy can talk on the phone to my daughter. Five minutes is long enough. I'm not doing the "going out" thing that is so popular with Precious' friends.

11. intojesus

intojesus New Member

Hi,

Its true about the bracelets and now they have the friends with benefits game. I saw this on the news not to long ago. Apparently you are obligated to have sex with your male or female friends without a commitment of any kind. This has grown rather big. I am with Victory in Jesus. I have a 16 year old daughter that I have really challenged her to save her first kiss for her husband. I have been told by a few that this standard is a little outdated but thus far she has not given her first kiss away and I pray she won't. She has shared with me that she is so thankful she has not given it away because most of her Christian friends have and they now regret it. I love the movie "Pamela's Prayer". Its a true story and a great movie to share with your daughters.

intojesus

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Dear Victory in Jesus!!

No, Sister!!! You're not the only one!!!

As God told Elijah----"Look yonder, Boy!!! There's 7000 other ones who are not tainted by the world!!!"-----pardon a little loose translation there!!!

Your Southern Baptist preaching buddy,
    Blackbird

13. Victory in Jesus

I'm glad I'm not alone.

I've heard of "weddings" for young girls that follow through a ceremony including dress, veil, and I think even a ring. The girl takes a vow before God promising to stay pure until her wedding night.

This might be a cool idea for a couple who are seriously dating...that they take a vow to stay pure until the get married.

But it'd be so expensive and as often as kids seem to break up these days, it might not be practical.

But it would be cool if girls had something to wear...like a ring...that signifies their plans of saving themselves for their husbands.

We've lost the meaning of the word 'committment", it seems. We're not even committed enough to fix a broken appliance. If it breaks, we buy a new one. Divorce rate is up, nobody stays with the same job any more (and I realize this could be due to downsizing and economy issues), promises are often broken, debts are many times ignored, children are lonely...the list goes on.

14. Victory in Jesus

Actually, I've strayed off subject. Committment might not be the best topic of discussion while discussion jelly writstbands that are meant to be broken off for an act to be performed.

By the way, each color has it's own act (as mentioned above) and the color that's broken off is the one that's supposed to be performed. Girls don't wear colors they're not willing to perform.

This is very scary stuff, Folks. This is one reason I chose to homeschool.

15. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

There are purity rings for teens to wear, that they receive after pledging to remain pure until marriage. SOme of our teens ar church have done that, and I am so proud of them for it. Not that the ring means anything, but its a visible reminder to self and others of limitations.

Even homeschoolers have their own issues too, though