1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Colossians 1:23

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven2006, Jul 1, 2006.

1. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That is truly one of the saddest statements I have ever heard. And you and the ones that feel like you (which the Bible says are many) will find yourselves like Esau when you realize like he did exactly how valuable the inheritance is that you are throwing away.

:tear:

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I was being sarcastic. Don't worry, I'm not going to live like the devil. But since I reject your theology, according to you I will be losing that inheritance anyways.

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

So what then is our inheritance if this theology is incorrect? What is the purpose of walking in the Spirit if everyone is guaranteed the same thing?

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I believe there will be rewards in heaven. But the receipt of rewards is not our ultimate "purpose" in doing good works; the glory of God is our purpose.

5. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

What's our inheritance? Or are you saying rewards are our inheritance? It seems as though you were tying that with our purpose.

Do you have Scripture that says our entire purpose to is glorify God?

#85 J. Jump, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2006
  6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I never said God's glory was our "entire" purpose - I said it was our "ultimate" purpose, or primary purpose. There are other secondary purposes in our service towards God, and among those are the rewards we will receive in heaven.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Oh yes - God's glory as primary: I Cor. 1:31; 10:31; Col. 3:17

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Do you have Scripture that says God's glory is our "primary" purpose. It seems to me that Genesis 1 tells us that dominion over the earth was the primary purpose.

Why didn't God say let's make man in our own image so that they can glorify us?

It seems to me that it's pretty important for a person to know what their purpose is right from the get go. But yet we don't have any indication that God shared with Adam that his purpose for being put on earth was to glorify Him.

Now I would agree wholeheartedly with you that we have primary and secondary purposes, but glorifying God Scripturally seems to be a secondary purpose.

What do you think?

9. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

You posted these while I was writing :)

I Corinthians 1:31 - so that, just as it is written, "LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD."

10:31 - Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Colossians 3:17 - Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.

At best it seems as though only 10:31 supports your claim. However if mankinds purpose was to glorify God then why would it take 4,000-plus years for that to be revealed to us?

Now I think when we are doing what we are supposed to do God is glorified by that, but I don't think God put man on earth so that He would have a creature to glorify Him. God has no need for anyone or any creature to give Him glory. If He did then He would be deficient.

I think we are to glorify God, but we do that by doing what we are supposed (purposed) to do.

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

To give glory to God does not imply that He is deficient. In giving glory to Him, we acknowledge His all-sufficiency. Of course, He does not need our praise or worship, but He does command it of us.

There are many things that God through Christ commands us to do as believers, but the overarching, primary attitude we are to have in doing those things is to glorify God.

11. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Now you are switching gears. No to give glory to God does not imply that He is deficient, but you are saying that His primary purpose in putting us on this planet is so that we would glorify Him. What purpose does that serve other than to meet a need He has?

What benefit is there to anyone else for our primary purpose to give God glory? And again if that was our primary purpose why didn't he tell Adam that? Why was it 4,000-plus years later after milions and millions of people had come and gone were we finally told what our purpose was/is?

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot back that up with scripture. And that statement shows your lack of understanding of scripture, the definition of glory, and God.

Psalms 29:1-11 1 Give unto the LORD, O ye mighty, give unto the LORD glory and strength. 2 Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
    1. Scripture because from begining to end the Word of God declares our responsibility to give God glory.

2.The definitiion of Glory because simply doing what we are supposed to do does not glorify God. We have to give him credit, honor and worship with intent not as a byproduct of obedience.

3. God because in your response above you fail to understand that we owe God glory not because he needs it from us, but because as the creator of the Universe and as the almighty he is due it. He is due all credit for all things at all times. There would be no beauty, no righteousness, and no love without him.

Satan would have you think that your main purpose is to have dominion over the earth.

All three verses listed that you responded to speak with clarity and exactness to the glorification of God. And the fact that he listed only verses from the new testament (one of which is a quote from the old) should not encourage you to ask why, but it should drive you to the OT to to a word study on glory.

God did put man on the earth to glorify him. And when we fail to do so we are unfaithful, and adulterous.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 22
    36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
    37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    38 This is the first and great commandment.
    39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

1 John 2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15
    8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
    9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
    10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
    11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
    12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

14. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Please show me in the opening chapter of Genesis where man was told that his primary purpose for being put on this earth is to give God glory. It's not there. So your statement is false right from the get go.

That is included in doing what you are supposed to do. When you are doing what you are supposed to do it is actually God doing it in you. I didn't know I need to spell out every little detail for you. God does for you what He requires of you and then gives you credit as if you did it yourself. But we know that God did it.

Not even the apostle Paul spoke the way you are saying things. Paul said I finished the race and I fought the good fight. Do you think Paul was not giving God credit? I think not.

You and many others are just desperately trying to find loop holes in what some of us have been saying. And you are nitpicking everything little thing we say.

So you answer my question then what is the purpose that is accomplished by us giving God glory? And why if that was our primary purpose are we not told that's our primary purpose for 1,000s of years after man was put on earth? That doesn't even make sense.

You are saying that our primary purpose is to give God credit, but God didn't even think it was important enough to tell Adam and Eve that.

No God would have us to think that our main purpose is to have dominion over the earth. That's why He told us that from the very get go in Genesis 1.

Maybe in your mind. But I don't it.

Then again can you explain to me why He didn't tell mankind that right off the bat? Your stance has not logic to it or reason to it. Your saying the most important thing we are to know about our purpose on earth wasn't even told to the first millions of people. That just doesn't make sense.

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I guess that pretty much says it all. Good luck with your gospel.

16. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Let me get this straight. You can't disprove what I or HoG have been saying so you call us heritics. It is shown again that you are mistaken, becuase even Paul doesn't speak like you speak and now you just want to drop out of the discussion and claim that I'm preaching the J. Jump gospel.

This is the gospel straight from the Word of God (unless you can prove otherwise). To date no one has been able to disprove it. I have spent six months trying to disprove it. The people that I learned these Truths from spent a great amount of time trying to disprove it.

See that's another way we can learn if what we believe is accurate or not. If I can take my belief and disprove it with Scripture then I have bought into a false belief. But that is just plainly not the case here.

It can't be disproven, because it's Scripture. But if you don't want to deal in Scripture then :wavey: - to each his own I suppose. I can't make you understand, as that is not my job. I can only share the Light and Someone else has to turn the switch on for you. And it is my prayer that the switch will be turned to the on position for as many as possible!

17. Bookworm

Bookworm Member

I just got done reading this whole thread at one sitting. Whew. The verse that I kept thinking about is the one that says that faith without works is dead. What is the meaning of that statement? I want to know what a saving faith is actually going to look like in my life. Is a saving faith going to look like anything? I know what a dead faith looks like. It looks like a life without any evidences of faith, without any works at all.

Also, I am curious about the status of those who have lost their inheritance in the Millennial Kingdom. Do they not come down with Christ at the end of the Battle of Armageddon? Do they enter into the Millenium but not have any ruling authority?

18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Picture the tribes of Israel that stopped short of the Land Flowing with Milk and Honey. They did not enter into the better part of their inheritance, but they were still part of the family, and they were expected to go to battle with the rest of the children of Israel.

19. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That's a great question. Eternal salvation is a spiritual matter, so there are no physical signs. If you believe in the substitutionary death and shed blood of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God on your behalf as payment for your sin debt then you are eternally saved. Done deal. The matter will never be brought up again.

Now you have been saved for a purpose. And that purpose is to be a faithful, obedient, overcoming servant, so that one day you will realize your inheritance which is the opportunity to rule and reign with Christ in His coming kingdom.

Faithful, obedient, overcoming Christians will rule with Christ from the heavens (the kingdom of the heavens - as stated in Matthew). And then Israel will rule with Christ from the physical earth.

This will last 1,000 years and then the entire kingdom will be turned back to God and the throne will become the throne of God and the Lamb and God will come down to earth and dwell amongst His people on the new earth.

We are just not given a great deal of detail as to what will happen to the unfaithful, disobedient, non-overcoming Christians. But we have been given enough information to know that it's not going to be a pretty site. The Bible says there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, which is deep grief and deep remorse over what has happened. We see Esau wailing and repenting to his father to change his mind, but he didn't and neither will God.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

When I tried to post