1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Combat Veterans for Bush

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Mar 31, 2006.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

Over in the Politics forum under the topic "'Unit's' military expert has fighting words for Bush" The Galatian made the statement
    Just how true is that statement?

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

OK guys here is a problem. We only wanted combat veterans to vote. I put in the "I am not a veteran" option so everyone could see the results. So far of the 4 voters only 2 are combat veterans, yet all 4 rated the president.

Only vote if you are a combat veteran please.

I am not being discriminatory, I am sure you are all fine patriotic folks, but this is to test The Galatian's theory about combat veterans not approving of President Bush.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Define "combat veteran".

5. billreber

billreber New Member

While I am not a "combat veteran" ( I have never been in combat), I AM a veteran of our military, and still keep in contact with my still-active-duty church members. Two have spent time in Iraq, and THEY seem to have a strongly positive opinion of President Bush. Another one is likely to go to Iraq next year.

Bill

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

While I have never entered combat, about a week after I was discharged, my ship had to go into an area in which fighting was going on, even though there wasn't a war at the time. They had to tow the USS Starke back into port. I guess technically, even the Starke was not in "combat", depending upon how you define it.

7. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

8. North Carolina Tentmaker

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your input. Would you like to tell us what specific areas you feel he has performed poorly are?

Right now we have had 5 combat veterans vote. Also 7 of the 10 non combat veterans who voted gave their opinion of the president. Stats right now are:

Outstanding - 1
    Excellent - 2
    Good - 4
    Fair - 0
    Poor - 5

How would I define combat veteran. Well of course I have to trust you guys. The Galatian was the one who suggested that a majority of combat veterans do not support President Bush over in the political forum so that is why I limited this poll to combat veterans. Bill and Hope, I am sure you are fine Americans and I am interested in your opinion but the poll was generated based on The Galatian's comments.

I would define combat veterans and anyone who as given or received fire. I would include indirect fire or aerial bombardment. I guess if you are an Army veteran like I am and you are authorized to wear a combat patch on your right shoulder I would count that. When I was in we had a term we used called REMF's (if you don't already know I won't give you all of it, the first two words are Rear Echelon). I personally would not want to count them, but the military would if they were in theater so we can probably let them slide here.

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

We have two more voters for a total of 17. The two new voters both said they were not veterans. One checked the "I am not a veteran box" like he was supposed to, the other checked poor.

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The reason I was asking was not for myself, but to clarify it for others. In other words, are you a combat veteran if you've come under fire, even if you've not been in a declared conflict?

The only time I've come under fire is in an inner city war zone, but I had a bigger gun and held them for the police.

11. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Why poor? Osama Ben Laden. When 9-11 happened, we lived about a mile from the Pentagon in Arlington, VA. My wife was in the building when it was hit, lost several friends of some years in that attack. Mr. Bush never committed the forces necessary to Afghanistan to take care of that problem once and for all. Instead, attacks Iraq, who from all objective information I have seen was unable to mount an immient attack on us, even if they had been, Mr. Bush never seemed to take the interest in getting the group (Osama et.al.) that attacked us, in favor of Saddam.

And in Iraq, he never listened to his field commanders who told him he needed more force, and now, quagmire.

Two horrid military decisions, which in my brain equate to a very poor performance.

And in the for-what-it is worth category, I have a nephew in Iraq right now, and a first cousin in Afghanistan right now.

12. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

Tentmaker, Sorry even though I am not a veteran I voted "
    Excellent" in the ratings. I did not understand the way you wanted the poll conducted. You may deduct i "Excellent" vote, even though I still believe it.

13. North Carolina Tentmaker

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your comments. Yours is a view I have heard before that the war in Iraq has taken forces away from finding Osama and is a distraction in the real war on terror. I disagree with you but still appreciate your comments.

We now have had 21 votes and only 6 said they were combat veterans. 11 non combat veterans voted in the wrong part of the poll so I don't think we can call this poll valid any longer. We know Seaking Truth voted Excellent and we know that at least two non veterans voted Poor. If we take out those three votes we are left with 8 votes for good or better and 4 for poor.

I still think The Galatians idea that most combat veterans dissaprove of President Bush is untrue but I also realize that veterans come with a variety of opinions on the subject.

14. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

I really want to say this poll is extremely fascist but I will settle and say it is extremely biased...it is important to conduct a fair poll if you really want to feel the pulse of what is going on in the peoples hearts and minds...looks as if Galatian even though hamstrung by your poll got some truth out.

tentmaker can you even accept truth or must you bend it too your liking????

btw did not vote in the poll, it is that bad!

Just for the record it is the military that serves the constitution and civilians and not the other way around so their voice is highly important.

15. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

I am not a "Combat" Veteran...

But, I did serve six years Active Duty and am a Vietnam Era Veteran...

Mike Sr.

16. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

I'll let my friends know that have a taken a bullet or shrapnel that their vote doesn't count as much since they only serve the civilians. Sad indeed!! :(

I'm currently an Active Duty US Marine who has served in combat and peace time since 1988. I was in Berlin in a second story window when the Berlin War was torn down, I was in Iraq during Operation Desert Storm, I was fighting the '3-Block' war in Somalia, I was in Kosovo trying to keep the Yugoslovanias from destroying each other, and I've been back to Iraq twice more over the last few years. So I've believe I've qualified as a veteran and I'm a Bush voter and a Bush supporter. IMO he may have done some things slow (more than wrong) trying to deal with political fallout, the various "What If.." scenarios, and the infighting of our government, but I still appreciate the fact that he has stuck to it. Clinton never did apply the right force and Clinton's lack of corrective action led to some of the issues we have faced over the last 6 or so years. I will continue to support Bush and the freedoms for those to disagree but I tire so much of the character attacks and automatic assumptions on a Conversative leader and then so much is so overlooked for a more liberal leader (Clinton or Carter).

For a totally side issue...we need term limits in Congress to prevent so much of this corruption that both parties face. 8 yrs for the Pres then 8 yrs for those in Congress whether Representative or Senator (and not 8 yrs for both).

17. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

No, you didn't - you just said it was "extremely fascist"! How so? Is it because it was focused on combat veterans in order to get their opinions? Is it because some of those opinions might not align with your perception of what they should be?

18. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

The bottom line is when you conduct a poll it must be fair and not biased to get a real pulse and not a phoney one or one that sucks up the
    ideaology of someone personal bias...I think people have seen through this poll and now we get people whining because it was not a slam dunk.

19. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

There's nothing unfair about a poll focused on a particular group. What bothers you about this is the possibility that the results might not be in agreement with your own views. Who, besides you, is whining about the results of the poll?

20. Kilad

Kilad New Member

Combat Veteran who voted Excellent.

There is nothing wrong with the information that he is trying to collect especially since he is doing it in an effort to check the viability of another poll that was conducted by a VERY BIASED media.

To claim fascism is not only a complete misunderstanding of fascism but a vulgar attempt at a personal attack towards the person who started the poll. Very unchristian like.