1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cometh to me - What this contextually means

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Jun 18, 2013.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
    36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.

The phrase "cometh to me" in John 6 means to "believe on him." Jesus told his audiance that bread has come down from heaven that God gives for eternal life and his audiance just asked "give us this bread" (v. 34).

Jesus responds by claiming that this bread which came down from heaven from the Father is himself "I am the bread of life" (v. 35) and then immediately instructs them how to partake of Him as that bread. His instructions are:

"cometh to me.....beleiveth on me"

By coming to him their hunger is completely satisfied as those who merely come to him "shall NEVER hunger." He explains what this means by then saying he that "beleiveth on him" shall NEVER thirst.

Hence, he is telling his audiance that partaking of him is by coming to him in faith. This is how one partakes of Christ as the bread of life - BELIEVE ON HIM!

He then turns to his audiance who followed merely for LITERAL BREAD that they had seen him provide and tells them they BELIEVED NOT even though they PHYSICALLY did come to him. Hence, PHYSICAL coming to him is not what he means by "cometh to me" in John 6:35. He means COMING TO HIM SPIRITUALLY THROUGH FAITH. Partaking of Him SPIRITUALLY through faith.

After denying they partook of him through faith, he then explains how that is made possible. It is the work of God (Jn. 6:29) and that work is explained in verses 37-45 and verses 60-68.

1. God must first "give" them to Christ because all God gives to Christ "cometh to me" = BELIEVETH ON ME

2. NONE given to Christ fail to come or be ultimately saved - vv. 37,39

3. God must "draw" a person for them to come to him = believe on him

4. Drawing is being "given" the ability to come to him = believe on him

5. False professors have not been given to Christ, drawn by the Father and thus have not be "given" the ability to come to him by faith = believe on me.

2. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Where are the opponents of OSAS that can dispute these contextual based facts? Your proof texts can be and have been demonstrated to be jerked out of context. Here is a context that confirms OSAS and cannot be overturned by any kind of contextual based evidence.

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Ryan, Hewley and others like to oppose my interpretation of John 6 when thy are allowed play around on a whole football field of texts, as that leaves them room to jump and run. But when it come down to point by points they are nowhere to be found.