1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Comic-relief: Ooops, didn't know you meant the donkey

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Spoudazo, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

KJV 1 Kings 13:27 And he spake to his sons, saying, Saddle me the ass. And they saddled him.

"Him" of course is in italics in the KJV, noting that it is implied. Newer versions provide "it" of course [​IMG]

Just thought some might enjoy that! :cool:

2. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Without having to look it up and considering that it is just one sentence out of context; would you please tell us WHO "him" is referring to?

Did I really say that. ...rap three times on the knuckles with a ruler.

Now watch one of these moderators come along an edit this. Some of those guys are crazy, 'specially that new one named Phil... something or other. :eek: [​IMG]

4. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Sorry - I have no problem with "him" referring to the donkey. Makes sense to me.

6. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

I don't have a problem with it either. Technically, or so they say, an animal is an "it." But him can work. I mean, you refer to pets as he and she, right?

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I do too, C4K, I think we're just letting off some steam in here. aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! I feel better now. Now back to the KJVO thread. [​IMG] :rolleyes:

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Ummmm;
    "Him" refers to the MALE of any species does it not? It is obvious that "him" refers to the ass.

(rant coming...)
    BTW; 'Ass' is a perfectly legit word for a beast of burden. Why oh why do we let "society" change the use of good words?
    (rant gone...)

Spoudazo? Were you REALLY that hurt by your KJVo pastor, friends, brethren, sisteren, that you have this NEED to heap disparaging doubtful disputations on a God blessed Book? I have noticed that many of your "topic titles"
    these past 4 weeks reveal this attitude of yours. How very sad for you. [​IMG]
    I am truly sorry for you.

In HIS service;
    Jim

9. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Yes, a perfectly fine word--hate it when society ruins decent words. As if they needed more bad ones.

If my laughing face was taken the wrong way, I'm sorry. I wasn't laughing at the use of the word ass.

I think it's OK to laugh at our own minds that tend to connect things illogically at times--as in 'him' referring to the person instead of the donkey. But never if we are mocking God's Word. I wasn't intending to mock the Bible, so please forgive my shortcomings.

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Margo
    No problem. You will note that my comment was directed to Spoudazo.
    I am sorry if you were in my "line of fire".

In HIS service;
    Jim

11. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

That's fine, just tryin' to help maintain peace. [​IMG]

God bless.

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

av1611jim, let's not try to assume what is in Spoudazo's mind. This was a lighthearted thread until you came in here complaining.

If you feel posts are out of line there is a little button called "Report Post" that will send it to all of the thread moderators for review. We even see each others posts and if they are wrong, they will be dealt with.

Better this than trying to pick a fight and accuse a brotheren based on an assumption.

If I felt he were making fun of the Word of God then I would have edited it.

Simply push the report button and it WILL be reviewed. I guarantee it! [​IMG]

13. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Considering how many times I've made an...Uh... "Donkey" out of myself, I've got no problem with "him". :D :D

14. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Hmmmm. No, I have never been "hurt" by any of my KJV-only friends or family that I have.

I'm doing the same thing that Dr. John Reynolds (basically the head guy of the King James translation) did before King James as he pointed out the imperfections in the older English translations. He was ratther succint in his examples which were: Ps. 105:28; 106:30; Gal. 4:25.

This thread is just meant to be light hearted indeed! I am not mocking God's Word, I'm pointing out some humerous things in that ol' "17th century Anglican translation" which I still use and enjoy!

Today has been a long day of studying after work this morning, basically from 10am-6pm with a few breaks, so I just needed something to relax with. And what better than fellowship!

15. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Excuse the "ratther" typo, it says the time frame in which I could have edited my message has elapsed?? No problem [​IMG]

16. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

OK, my bad. Perhaps it should have been in a fellowship forum instead of a debate forum. I really thought "debate' was fair game. :(

In HIS service;
    Jim

17. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

No problem [​IMG]

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This could be taken another way jim.

How about that he desires precision and excellence in the translation of God's Word by the use the proper syntax and vocabulary in translation by pointing out the one of archaisms in the syntax and vocabulary of the 17th century KJV English (the use of the word "ass" for "donkey" and "him" for "it").

Through no fault of the original translators of the KJV (a given monument of excellence in the 17th century English language) their work is being outgrown by the dynamics of grammar, syntax and vocabulary of our language.

NKJV 1 Kings 13:27 And he spoke to his sons, saying, "Saddle the donkey for me." So they saddled it.

HankD

[ March 10, 2005, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: HankD ]

19. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Archaisms?

From Websters New Collegiate;
    Ass; any of several hardy gregarious mammals that are smaller than the horse, have long ears, and include the donkey.

Not so archaic after all huh?

In HIS service;
    Jim

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is archaic considering what the meaning of the word has become in common usage in America.

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-words-having-different-meanings-in-british-and-american-english

Or:

Here is another among many: Bowels.

KJV Philemon 1:7 For we have great joy and consolation in thy love, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by thee, brother.

NKJ Philemon 1:7 For we have great joy and consolation in your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed by you, brother.

Someday hearts will probably become archaic if the Lord hasn't returned yet.

but that is the nature of a dynamic language like English.

HankD