1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Coming back to the Baptist:Help!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ReformedChris88, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReformedChris88

ReformedChris88 New Member

So out of minor disagreements and struggles with accepting some doctrines of the Reformed Presbyterian denomination. (PCA) I believe I align for the most part with the Reformed Baptist tradition. (Not set on the baptism issue, but it does appear there are two distinctions with in the two covenants)

So any others "reformers" coming back to a more reformed baptist tradition? Resources?

Just looking for stories or resources that would help guide my thoughts into baptist understanding. One thing that scared me away from Baptist is the lack of unity in doctrine from church to church and not knowing which baptist denomination to "align" with.

What are some reformed baptist denominations or at most Calvinistic. (I dislike the word)

Thanks,
    Chris
    P.S. I have no plans at this time to leave my home church, but in the coming years I may with my wife if we move or I get closer to pastoral ministry.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the primary differences is in the area of church polity, or how the local church is governed. The PCA sets the doctrine from the top and all members must either agree or remain silent. I the Baptist model, believing as we do in the priesthood of all believers, various groups can form based on agreement within the group, but not necessarily with someone's top down edict. Thus we have reformed or Calvinistic leaning assemblies, and we have General Baptists and Free-will Baptists.

It sounds like you are more of a Baptist leaning person, i.e. shopping for a like minded assemble, rather than embracing the dictated doctrines of the PCA.

You can pretty much tell if an assemble is Calvinistic by reading the "What we Believe" statement found on most websites. Did Christ die for all?

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a link to a Baptist church in Salem Oregon. By learning to read the "code" you can tell this is a Calvinistic leaning church.

http://fbcsalem.org/home/

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I'll bite. I looked the site out of curiosity - what's "the code"?

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

What do you think is the distinction between the two covenants?

New Testament baptism is the expansion of Old Testament circumcision is it not?

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is the symbol of what had already happened to a sinner who has been saved by the Cross of Christ!

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Old Testament circumcision finds it's fulfillment in Nt regeneration.

Nt baptism points to our identification with Christ...showing outwardly the inward reality of Spirit baptism having united us savingly to Jesus.

Nt baptism points to our identification with Christ in His death ,and our new life in Him.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Coming back to the baptist? Why did you leave to begin with?

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What is your experience with the PCA, because you sound like you do not have a clue.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Feeling a bit testy tonight?

13. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

I've learned that the name on the door makes no difference. Does the tree bear good fruit?? If the church you are in isnt following the bible then jump ship to one that does. Even some Baptist churches don't bear good fruit. Go to a Baptist Church if you desire and observe and decide if the fruit is good or fermented.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Neither is any more a symbol of regeneration than the other.

Almost NO ONE disputes that they are both THE signs of the covenant- one the sign of the old testament and the other the sign of the new.

Therefore, there is no reason to assume the dichotomy.

We don't do circumcision as a sign of the covenant anymore.

What do we do?

We do baptism.

Therefore, baptism is the New Testament version of Old Testament circumcision.

Old Testament circumcision does the exact same thing.

15. ReformedChris88

ReformedChris88 New Member

Lack of faithful preaching from baptist pulpits I have been around. Not anti doctrines of grace, but very weak in theology with the force to preach it. Many of the baptist churches in my area have fallen into the contemporary seeker mode.

I found the truth in reformed doctrines, saw that the Presbyterians upheld this truth, and have spent three years with them. Again, I do not plan to leave at this time.

I'm not convinced credo baptism is proper nor padeo. Both sides make valid stances and I am not going to leave a church until I have a solid backing for my belief to A or B.

It's complicated but I am hoping others have been on this same path and can shed some light.

I am a Baptryian as right now. :laugh:

16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I agree with the highlighted 100%. There is rampant weak theology in Baptist circles, then to top it off some brag about their ignorance as if it is a badge of honor.

We've been down the same road which is why we are now Reformed Baptist. We simply could not tolerate the preaching/teaching that goes on in too many Baptist churches that is glaringly shallow dumbed-down theology.

When I hear a preacher say 'I am putting this message on the bottom shelf so you can understand it' it makes me want to puke, especially when he's been a pastor for a congregation for several years. It's mostly a lame excuse and is condescending to the congregation. What I get from this statement is he hasn't done his homework and is blaming his lack of study and insight on the congregation, and, that he hasn't brought the congregation to understanding the meat of the Word. Pastors who do this should ponder Colossians 1:28-29.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Si you would be presby, not a reformed baptist?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

We have adopted the model of becoming sensitive to sinners feelings and like/dislikes, as we want to be seen as being the caring church in town, not the one teaching right doctrines!

Many want enough 'religion" to make them feel good, but not requiring them to make any changes in their living!

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No sir. I am baptist. I only ever baptize believers and that by immersion. But the Presbyterian position is not without merit. I think we baptists like to pretend that they have no good grounds for baptizing babies when they do.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is due to them seeing the OT baptism in same fashion as the NT baptism.. To get that, would have to make OT circumcision as equivalent as the NT Baptism, which baptists tend not to do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.