1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Coming back to the Baptist:Help!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ReformedChris88, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Luke2427

This sounds like a new thread coming to BB soon!

As you have posted...there are similarities and some differences for sure.

:wavey:
    This is the padeo contention:wavey:

let's explore this a bit in a new thread:thumbsup:

2. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

New Testament Baptistm is not the New Covenant version of Circumcision...and they have absolutely NO good grounds for baptizing infants....You should merely come full-circle and go all-out Presby. This is decidedly NOT Baptist Theology you espouse.

3. Inspector Javert

Blech...or maybe...just consign all adherents to that to the non-Baptist Theology section and have done with it. That is decidedly NOT "a- o.k." Baptist Theology. That's Presbyterianism, period.

4. Inspector Javert

I've never thought this way about a post of yours before, and likely never will again...but, frankly....I couldn't agree more whole-heartedly with what you just said here. I feel precisely the same way...except that...I wouldn't become Reformed as a result. Other than that....your last paragraph specifically is rhetorical gold!. :thumbs:
    This gem is all too true:
    It is indeed...and truth is...they will remain precisely as ignorant or as learned as you MAKE them be! If you teach doctrine with depth, they'll learn...if you "dumb-it-down" for them....they'll remain as ignorant and stupid as they were when you found them!!!

#24 Inspector Javert, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
  5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hence the need for a new thread to see why we are not padeos....can we as baptists articulate our belief????

6. Inspector Javert

Yes...I mean...I understand the "covenant notion" of a Calvinist view-point, and how it might indeed suggest something akin to the Jewish rite of circumcision. The image is indeed there. But, "Baptist" is a word which exists pretty much precisely because we don't "Baptize" infants. Call me "intolerant"...but, I'm not particularly o.k. with ceding ground to pedo-baptists. I'm not on board personally.

#26 Inspector Javert, Aug 27, 2013
  7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I have not "espoused" anything. This gentleman introduced the subject in the op and I am simply saying the Presbyterian argument is logically sound and not without exegetical support. That doesn't mean it is right.

But if its okay with you, debate Nazi, we would like to discuss it.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nazi? really?

Baptist theology is indeed the viewpoint that the OT circumcision is NOT equivalent of the NT water Baptism, as we hold to the Covenants being different, as the New One rendered Old One obsolete and is a brand new one, not a continuation of the Old one!

9. Inspector Javert

I do not begin reasonable debates by attempting to make them Bambi vs. Hitler.
    If you think that is my method, you mistake me.

The Presbyterian argument is indeed logically sound..........but it has ZERO exegetical support.

So, since I am "debate Nazi"...(I think "debate Fascist" would be more accurate") will you then, "debate Communist" explain why we Baptists should accept the exegetical strengths of Pedo-baptism? There are none, and it is un-Scriptural.

#29 Inspector Javert, Aug 27, 2013
  10. Inspector Javert

True....Baptist Theology has no truck with the notion that OT circumcision is equivalent to NT Baptism. They are completely different. If one believes they are equivalents...then, frankly, they are not particularly "Baptist", but would find themselves quite at home with Presbyterians.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    think part of that comes from it being at times appearing that while I would see it as being Chrsitian /Baptist/reformed

others would see it as being
    Chrsitian/Reformed/baptist

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Does it contain the statement that Christ died for all mankind?

2) Does it present salvation "from man's point of view?"

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which of the "Westminster Standards" of the PCA could a local assemble disavow? :)

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    per your point 2, mans point of view would alway be wrong in regards to how we are saved, wouldn't it?

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only view any of us have, Sir, is the "man's point of view." To claim to be able to look at something from God's point of view, is simply shuck and jive. The old, "I know what God is saying and you do not" bilge of false teachers everywhere.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible gives us the viewpoint of God as regards to salvation, correct?

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently not Yeshua1, you chose to pour Calvinism into the Bible in lieu of what it plainly tells others. Then Calvinists claim this man-made doctrine presents God's point of view.

1) Did Christ die for all mankind? You deny that Christ became the propitiation or means of salvation for the whole world, all mankind.

2) You deny Christ died as a ransom for all.

3) You deny God desires all men to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth.

And you do all this in the name of holding the secret knowledge of God's point of view. Twaddle

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just seem to have a problem accepting the truth that we are sinners, that we cannot come to Jesus without aid from/of God, and that IF the Cross was intended to have saved all sinners, all would have been saved!

19. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

Several months back I visited a PCA church. Amazingly the discussion that morning in Sunday School was baptism. I participated in the discussion somewhat. I attended services with them. Took the Lord's supper with them and I did take the wine as I believe they got that part right. There was also juice offered for those who might have a problem with the wine. I also attended the fellowship dinner they had where I shared my testimony and my thoughts on the doctrines of grace. They were a friendly and inviting people. Strong in their beliefs. I also took home a pamphlet that argued for paedobaptism. I read through the pamphlet and I remained unconvinced. If it wasn't for baptizing babies I could have continued going there.

Having said that. That one day convinced me to leave my old church with it's weak kneed armenian preaching and find a reformed baptist congregation. We found one a half a mile from our house and have been going for several months. We have fullfilled the requirements for membership and if we are all still here in the morning we will walk forward and be welcomed into that body.

Thank God for that PCA Pastor and his congregation. They were the final catalyst for my decision. I plan on writing him a letter and relating this to him as he is friends with the pastor of the church we are joining.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) First you find fault, i.e. Van has a problem.

2) Then you make up a falsehood and post it.

3) You provide no quotes nor scripture references for your claims.

4) You are a provocateur.

5) Christ died for all mankind, and that was intended to provide the opportunity of salvation to whoever chooses to believe. No need to misrepresent my view with your falsehoods. Why not quote me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.