1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Coming home to Fundamental Baptist

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Edward63, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Edward63

Edward63 Member

In the time it took to be accepted for posting, I spent time lurking and reading input from various posters. I made a list so I knew who not to waste my time with. You can decide by how I listed you where you fall:

"preacher4truth...judgmental and presumptuous with no discernment"

2. Edward63

Edward63 Member

Now I can add you to my list of worthless posters:

Robert Snow exhibits reprobate spirit, not the Christian graces, rather moronic

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

The last two posts are un-Christ-like in behavior and unnecessary drivel.

But blessings to you Edward63 anyhow, even when you were un-Christ-like, judgmental, without discernment and employing works of the flesh and expressing pejoratives towards others.

:love2: :thumbsup:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really uncalled for Robert.....even in jest!

5. Edward63

Edward63 Member

Kyredneck, I have attended both the hardshell Primitive Baptist (rather fatalistic), and the more traditional Primitive Baptist and there is a traditional PB about an hour drive from me and I'd do well in a more traditional PB. I just do not see any purpose in that long a drive for I can study Scripture for myself and have quite a good background in that. I am seeking a 'church family' in my community. It is interesting you, or someone mentioned the Old Regular Baptists and there is one I pass when I drive north, but it is almost 2 hours away. :) I believe I may have stepped out ahead of the Lord instead of "waiting on God". I have about come to the conclusion I'm better off outside any of the churches in my area. Maybe my local churches are the ones better off. :laugh:

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and why are you better off & what led you to that conclusion

7. preacher4truth

Yup. :thumbsup:

8. preacher4truth

No doubt about that! :wavey::thumbsup:

9. preacher4truth

He's not quite sure.

In one instance he believes he's self-righteous above all others in all these churches surrounding him, and he's quite judgmental in this. Then on the other hand he catches a glimpse of himself and realizes THEY are the ones who are better off. Being double-minded he juggles both ideas and never concludes himself as the entire problem -- it must be the others. :wavey:

10. Edward63

Edward63 Member

Salty, this is the 3rd Baptist I've tried here. Let me relate the experiences.
    First, small Baptist with a newly called Pastor. The Pastor had written a book on the "Book of Revelations", a word he kept repeating. He had them stacked at the back of the church and he even offered to sign the book when you bought it. I am not kidding. Then he setup a projector and began showing newscasts out of the last few years about Israel. As he was talking, he apparently thought he was the new Jack Van Impe. I got up and left before the service was over. I actually felt as if I was under an unbiblical influence there.

Second Baptist I attended a couple of Sunday services and then a couple of the very small Wednesday night Bible studies where you could chat back and forth. This woman started talking about one of these frauds who claimed to have been taken into both heaven and hell and who has written some book. I sat waiting for the Pastor to gently and lovingly clarify to this woman the fraudulent nature of such an unbiblical claim and the obvious money-making point of it. The Pastor listened and accepted it without as much as a caution on the humility of (assumed) Paul who saw such as recorded for us.

I have told of the 3rd experience. But, I'll add a 4th where I called a Baptist Church Pastor to talk with him and inquire on this church's beliefs and his Pastoral approach so as to not waste my time to go for another useless visit. This Pastor acted as if I was trying to trap him in some doctrinal error and was cold as ice.

I know and expect most members, but not all, will have various beliefs and some questionable and some clearly error. I do NOT expect that from the pulpits in a Baptist church. So, until God moves me to a church, I plan on staying away from these churches I am encountering. I will add, from reading the posted Beliefs of this last Baptist church I explained earlier in this thread, the visit totally contradicted their stated belief system.

In an age of political/religious correctness, I am glad Paul was bold in his description of some religionists, so I do not believe I am being overly critical of these 'so-called' Baptist churches:

“One of themselves, a prophet of their own, said, Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, idle gluttons. This testimony is true. For which cause reprove them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men who turn away from the truth.” (Tit 1:12-14 ASV)

In this day, we have access to such full and complete tools for our own Bible study and the ability to go back to a more pure day in the church where Baptists had the courage of their convictions to write them in multi-church confessions. There is no need to waste time with ignorance in the pulpits who do not know what they believe or preach and teach contrary to the very Belief Statements that they post, so until God moves me otherwise, I will remain in my studies from the honorable pillars of faith out of the past and stay out of the churches.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you thought of starting your own Bible Study?

12. Edward63

Edward63 Member

I am in a 55+ Condo association and the circumstances do not permit flexibility there. But, I am considering another option, if the Lord so leads. I have found some groups online who seem to embrace the 1646 Baptist Confession and believe a New Covenant theology that seems sound to me. I have considered contacting one and see what would be involved in exploring a church planting here. I've not found any close to my area, but it is an option to keep in consideration as God may open doors providentially. I actually do have a type of Bible study now but it is personal, online between myself and several correspondents in the Orient. It is great joy to teach those hungry for God's word and they are not pre-infected with modern evangelical garbage so they have a clean slate to begin, having just a God-given hunger for biblical truth.

13. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Yeah I would say that you will definitely be better off avoiding any IFB churches. When my wife and I and two of our close friends came to a New Covenant Theology point of view we were basically asked to leave our IFB church and a previous IFB church that we still had ties too (friends and acquaintances still attended) actually came out and labeled NCT a heresy and those who hold to it should be shunned. Not a big deal since they are a small church of like 100 people in MD, but it was interesting...

14. Edward63

Edward63 Member

RL, you are correct. I had a rush of emotions and stresses after this encounter with these people that I felt as though I was going through some type of post traumatic stress syndrome giving a flashback from my early years! I hate to say it, but the effect on me was like the dark shadow over me resembling the darkness that you have from arguing with those who deny the true deity of Jesus Christ.

15. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Just My Thoughts........

Edward....first let me say welcome to the Board and I do hope your stay here is long and prosperous. As fellow believers it is always my hope that our help of one another will be the thing that makes us stand out from the world of unbelief which we are surrounded by (both inside and outside the walls of the "church"). It has always been obvious to me that some here "didn't get the memo" on that. Anyway, I do hope you can find some group of believers with which you can fellowship around the Lord and His Word. Truthfully though, you must know that there are no perfect churches nor believers. I can tell you from my own experience that I have never been to ANY church where I found myself in 100% agreement with everything I saw or heard and I've never met an honest, objective believer that could say they have either. We are all at different stages of growth in our spiritual lives but we ALL have a very basic need to interact and fellowship with other like-minded fellow saints because that is the way God made us. I can say to you one thing with confidence and that is that you will probably NEVER find any church where everything is to your exact liking. I have learned over the years that it (church) is NOT ABOUT what I can GET from it....but rather, what I can contribute to the fellowship.
    With that said let me just say that I would characterize myself as a "Dependent Baptist". I was raised up after my salvation in Independent Fundamental Baptist churches primarily in the Greenville SC area and attended them exclusively for many years. After going through a dark time in my life where I fell out of fellowship with the Lord and after God mercifully restored me, in recent years I "landed" in a moderate-sized conservative SBC church and am trying to "bloom" where the Lord "circumstantially" planted me. I can't say I agree with "everything" that I see or hear here but I do love my Pastor, my fellow-believers, and the active ministries of this church and have not seen fit nor discerned any viable reason to return to a specifically IFB church at this time. I am a Biblical fundamentalist and as such I am growing less and less comfortable with the ever more compromised "church" of our time and the growing wickedness of this endtime world we are living in. I am looking with GROWING desire for the soon coming of our Lord Jesus....the "blessed hope". In the meantime....my advise to you is to find a group of believers that you can fellowship with face to face...EVEN IF you can't agree with everything they say or do....and as a mature believer, be a contributor and a help to them. We need to be true to our Lord and humble and edifying towards others. We just need to keep our eyes on the Lord Jesus Christ and be a godly example to those around us, saved OR lost. One last thing....if God so led you...you could always START a church. But anyway, I do believe it is Biblical to "not forsake the assembling together" Hebrews 10:25) as a general rule but I don't get as "extreme" with that verse as some would. In any case, God bless you and I hope you can find a fellowship you can be comfortable in and of service too. May I inquire what area of the country you are from? I still live in the Greenville SC area.....the alleged "buckle of the Bible belt". There is a church on nearly every corner.....and a bar on nearly every other corner. Sadly, the "church" in this Laodicean age we live in has little or no power any more. Even so,come Lord Jesus!

Blessings to you,
    Greg Perry Sr.:saint:

16. Gregory Perry Sr.

Some other options

Edward....I just noticed you are from Florida and have a few ideas for you. The first two are in the event that you can't "get out" to attend churches. They are "live-streaming" links to two churches I am familiar with that I will listen into if I am unable to get out on any given Sunday to my church......they are:
    Watch Victory Baptist N.Aug.Live (Victory Baptist Church in N.Augusta SC pastored by Dr. R.Larry Brown) great old fashioned IFB Bible preaching! This guy is a fireball!( Just for the record, I'm one of those shouting Baptists!)

Watch Rock Springs Baptist Live (Rock Springs Baptist Church (SBC) in Easley SC close to where I live. The Pastor is Dr. David Gallamore...he is my Pastor's father-in-law) He is a wonderful Bible preacher.

ALSO....depending upon where in Florida you are I would DEFINITELY recommend the ministry and church (THE BIBLE Baptist Church of DeLand FL) of James W. Knox of DeLand FL. Their website is as follows:
    James W. Knox – Preaching of The Cross | The Ministry of THE BIBLE Baptist Church . If I lived in central Florida I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. I have learned and grown much from the ministries of all of the above!

I hope these are some help to you. God Bless You.

Bro.Greg:saint:

#36 Gregory Perry Sr., Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
  17. Gregory Perry Sr.

For The Record...

But not for the sake of an argument..... I don't personally agree with nor accept New Covenant Theology. I am a Dispensationalist because I believe Dispensationalism "fits" more closely not only with the clear and balanced, rightly-divided truth of the Word of God, but also the reality of the history of this world and events going on around us. The Bible is true and accurate not only as a factual (and literal) historical account of the world around us but also in matters of science (where it speaks of such things) and definitely of spiritual truth.
    That said, I would NOT seperate from nor call NCT adherents ugly names or label them as heretics or any such thing....even though I think they may be mistaken.:laugh::smilewinkgrin: We can have differing eschatological views and argue them til the "cows come home"....but we MUST agree on Who and What the Lord Jesus Christ is (and how badly we NEED Him in EVERY ASPECT our lives). God will straighten out ALL our views regarding the future or theology at the Judgement Seat of Christ. Of that I am absolutely confident. There will be many among the redeemed who will be surprized in THAT day.:thumbs: God Bless Ya'll!

18. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Bro. Greg,

I must say that nearly everything you post is refreshing to me. To see the gentleness and humbleness you have makes me happy. While I forgive you for your dispensationalism ;) I can't help but wish that the irenic spirit you have about these issues was shared by the larger part of the IFB movement, because if that was the case I would likely still attend an IFB church. Blessings to you brother.

19. Gregory Perry Sr.

Thank You Brother

Bro.Bosley....thank you for your kind comments. I am genuinely humbled by them and can only say that if there is any good thing or quality in what I say it is the Lord that should be lifted up and glorified because He has brought it to pass in me. God Bless You. I will say that I do believe there are some good IFB (and) SBC churches out there. Those are the two that I have experience with and my experiences in each of them have been generally good for the most part. We must never make the mistake of ruling them ALL bad by generalization.