1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Complaint Filed against Australian Christian Resort for Refusing Homosexual Youth Group

By Tim Waggoner

VICTORIA, AU, September 8, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Homosexuals in Australia are using a Christian camp's refusal to host a pro-homosexual group as a test case to attempt to overturn legal exemptions that exist for religious groups in the Equal Opportunity Act. The Act, similar to other Western "anti-discrimination" measures, exists to "eliminate sexual and racial harassment in the workplace, educational institutions and accommodation."

More Here

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is the exception that the Way Out group is trying to have overturned. This exception in the Equal Opportunity Act protects the Christian camp.

I don't see how they have a case since they are not being discriminated against for their sexuality but their religion. If they were homosexual Christians or if the camp were open to all members of the public, then maybe they would have case.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Aside from the fact that there is no such thing as a homosexual christian how are they not being discriminated because of their sexuality? And they are homosexuals.

1Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

#3 Revmitchell, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

It's not discrimination to turn away homosexuals at a Christian camp; it's the right of the Christians. No one can be a practicing homosexual AND a Christian. Paul named a number of sins including "effeminate" guys (or homosexual), and then said, "Such WERE some of you."

They USED to be that way, but that changed when they met the Lord. They didn't continue in their sin. No, there's no such thing as a homosexual Christian. Anyone can be saved, but if they are then they will want to turn from their sinful ways.

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Careful JM - some on this board will probably take you to task for actually believing the Word of God as written!!!

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually it is discrimination. Contrary to popular belief some discrimination is warranted. Churches should discriminate against those who hold world views contrary to scripture. Much like in the case of homosexuals. We should not have them in our camps, on our staff, or on our membership rolls of our church.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My guess is that in Australia, like in the US, any one can sue anyone or group over anything, but that does not mean the case has any merit.

RevM. you say there are no homosexual Christians. Is homosexuality the unforgiveable sin? If not, what other sins negate a person being a Christian?

#7 Crabtownboy, Sep 9, 2008
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say it God did:

1Co 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,

As far as your other questions they are silly and unwarranted.

#8 Revmitchell, Sep 9, 2008
  9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

11. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

1 Cor 6:9-11
    9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
    10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
    11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
    (NIV)

I will not argue about homosexuality being a sin, the Bible says that it is therefore it is a settled fact. However, would you say that someone who is greedy or one who slanders would also not be a Christian?

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think practicing homosexuality is the issue - for men and women. It's a sign of the corruption of sin in Rom. 1 - that and worship of creation and creatures.

I think the bottom line is that sexual relations are to occur only between a married couple (comprising of a man and a woman - sad we have to say that now).

I think people can be forgiven of this, of course. I have heard men who were homosexual prior to becoming a Christian speak and they say that for gay men and women who become believers they often struggle with it, like an alcoholic. But they no longer identify themselves as homosexuals.

Of course, tell that to the Metropolitan Community Church and to Philip Yancey (see his interview with Whosever Magazine, a magazine for "gay Christians" at http://www.whosoever.org/v8i6/yancey.shtml).

Yancey says:
    and

He was interviewed by Candace Chellew-Hodge, a "recovering Southern Baptist,"who mentions her "partner" in the interview. This is her bio:

This interview was in 2004 but it seems it has bothered nobody in the church, as far as I know.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How many people do you know who is trying to get laws passed forcing people to accept adulterers, slanderers, etc.?

14. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

You are correct; homosexuality is wrong. I have never defended it. I just think it is the prevalent one in a list that we Christians focus on more than some others, that's all.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I understand that you believe it is wrong. I also understand that you misunderstand the motive behind our energetic opposition to it. It is prevalent because it is being fought for in our courts and in our congress. If it wasn't it wouldn't be so prevalent.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

We have good reason to focus on it; it's being pushed onto the culture very aggressively. At the beginning, it was just a demand for being able to legally do certain things. Then it escalated through many steps until now it's a demand for legal marriage.

Many high schools have GLBT clubs - more and more middle schools have these now as well. Kids are taught in school to accept homosexuality as "normal." Not only that, but they are taught if they have feelings for the same sex that it's natural and maybe they are gay. I have seen this in books for teens ages 13 and 14. If you are a parent, I can tell you this is sure a big issue.