1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Commandment keeping

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, May 16, 2010.

?
  1. yes

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. no

31 vote(s)
    93.9%
  1. BillySunday1935

BillySunday1935 New Member

The RCC probably doesn't want me either. :tear:

Look, there is no concensus of Baptist beliefs because there are as many "flavors" of Baptists as there are Baptist beliefs. It seems as though many of the Baptists here run in the puritanical vein - however that's just my observation.

And that is a good thing.

We have ignition... :)

Peace!

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Now see Lori? Just when you were thinking that you take all the heat! :thumbs:

:jesus:

in Christ,

Bob

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Better not call people white-washed tombs, or a den of snakes, or such things...might offend someone.

Wait...there was this Guy that did that...

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not trying to disuade you from simply going around in a "harrumph harrumph" style of "name calling" and loud pulpit pounding - as your compelling form of Christian debate on Bible topics.

I am just trying to suggest that I prefer a more "sola scriptura" method where you quote something from God's Word and then show that the context is exegetically proven to make your point.

To each his own.

in Christ,

Bob

#104 BobRyan, May 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
  5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is a difference between baptist distinctives, baptist beliefs, and even the fundamentals of the faith. In general Baptist agree on Baptist distinctives and the fundamentals of the faith. They may have beliefs on which they differ. It is the baptist distinctives which make baptists distinct from other denominations. If they don't agree on those then perhaps those that don't agree are not Baptist. You don't agree with your own church's statement of faith which leads me to believe that you are not a Baptist.

6. BillySunday1935

And exactly where in scripture can the list of "Baptist distinctives" and "fundamentals of the faith" with which all Baptists agree be found?

Peace!

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The definition of a church is: an assembly regenerated baptized (by immersion) believers who have come together voluntarily to carry out the Great Commission and observe the two ordinances of Christ (baptism and the Lord's Table).

Within that definition we have the Great Commission. Within the Great Commission we have the term "teaching them all things whatsoever I have commanded you," a term which encompasses doctrine, the doctrine of our faith. Being a Baptist is believing the Bible. The Bible is our only standard of faith and practice. That is our first distinctive and it is from where we draw the fundamentals of the faith.

History tells the rest.
    What defines a Presbyterian Church? How did they come into existence?
    What defines a Lutheran Church? How did they come into existence?
    What defines a Methodist Church? How did they come into existence?

In contrast, to the above what defines a Baptist Church, and how do they differ from the above? What makes a Baptist Church, Baptist? I have told you some. There is a Baptist History forum on this board, and plenty to read in it. There is also Baptist theology. You can go to any Baptist Church website, or visit a few of them, and read their statements of faith, and get a good idea of what they believe.

But this thread is on Commandment Keeping. Try not to derail it.
    You could also start another thread on the above topic if you wanted to.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you don't know what the Baptist beliefs are, then your church is doing an awfully poor job of teaching it's members the truth of Scripture.

Or you do not attend a Baptist church in reality.

Which is it?

9. BillySunday1935

I was a Baptist before you were born. Perhaps not as good or holy or righteous as the Baptists here, but Bpatist none-the-less.

Peace!

10. BillySunday1935

And Commandment Keeping is not part to the beliefs of Baptists?

Peace!

11. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I see there are two members of this board who desire to have their eternal destiny judged by the law.

I just want you two to understand;

Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

12. BillySunday1935

First: The question was poorly constructed in that it doesn't specify what the "law" is (I.e. Law of the prophets, Levitical Law, etc.).

Second: It could be that some of those responses were given in order to fallitate a certain line of discussion - just like your posting.

Just a few thoughts...

Peace!

13. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First: I am willing to let the voter decide for themsleves what they are voting for in their heart when they say "yes, I would like the law to judge me and the law decide whether or not I obeyed and do receive eternal life".

Personally, I do not want ANY part of the law to be my judge as to whether I receive eternal life. How about you?

Second: I don't think these two would lie just to stir up some contention, do you?

If they were uncertain about what was meant by the law they could have first asked before voting. Nevertheless, they could share with us as to what the keeping of the law means to them and what they had in mind when they said that they wanted the law to judge them for their eternal destiny.

14. billwald

billwald New Member

The 7.69% of responders who wish to be judged by the law: is it because you understand the nature of the Mosaic Covenant, because you think you obey the law exactly as requires, or because "believing in" Jesus has bailed out of all consequences of law breaking?

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why change the topic again. Go and re-read your post and my answer to it. "Baptist distinctives" have nothing to do with "commandment keeping." If that is what you want to discuss, then start another thread on it.

16. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Hi DHK
    Ya left out the 1st answer Jesus gave.

Matthew 19:16-19
    And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? [17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. [18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, [19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Which commandments was Jesus speaking of? I wonder what answer Jesus would have given if asked what good things must i do that i may be saved?

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When Jesus said "keep the commandments, it was evident that he was referring to the Ten Commandments. The young man answered, "Which?" as in which ones. Jesus replied by quoting some of the Ten Commandments to make sure that he understood that he was referring to the Ten Commandments. Then the young man lied breaking the Ten Commandments that he just said he kept. He lied by stating that he kept them all from his youth, which no man can do. Thus Jesus sets out to demonstrate how false his statement is. He demonstrates that even now he is committing the sin of covetousness.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The specific answer to that question is given here:

John 6:28-29 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them,
    29 This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

This is a play on words. "Believing" is not considered a work. You are not actually "doing" when you are believing. The only thing you can "do" to have eternal life is to believe on him whom God hath sent. Salvation is not of works.

19. BillySunday1935

Hmmm.............................. OK!

Peace!

20. BillySunday1935

Believing is an assent of the will - it is an act - and is therefore a work.

Then you don't need to do anything - because salvation is a done deal. All one need do is believe. Don't Satanist's believe?

Peace!