1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Commentaries and Study Bibles

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by longshot, Jul 6, 2002.

1. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

Why has no one mentioned works from Jack Hyles or other great SWORD OF THE LORD works. Just kidding. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Study Bibles:

* MacArthur's NKJV

* Thompson Chain Reference

Commentaries:

One Vol:

* BELIEVERS BIBLE COMMENTARY. NKJV and endorsed by Wiersbe and MacArthur.

* MATTHEW HENRY

Separate Vol:

* MacArthur

* James Montgomery Boice

* Warren Wiersbe (has a knack at being concise).

2. John Miller

John Miller New Member

I have found that the commentaries by John Phillips and M.R. De Haan have proven quite valuable to me in not only preparation for teaching Sunday School classes but also for my school studies, as well.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even though the Vikings rule, will have to agree with PackerBacker - John MacArthur Study Bible is probably the very best single-volume one could purchase. I have many of his commentaries and books (they get pricey) and agree that our century is fortunate to have such a man of God.

We look back at Jean Calvin, John Gill, Matthew Henry, Spurgeon and Ironside and put garlands on the tombs of the prophets, while casting stones at the ones living among us . . .

Just my 3 cents.

4. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

Even though the Vikings have not ruled for a long time and won't this year either, I'd have to agree with Dr. Bob. It amazes me how often MacArthur is spoken badly of in IFB circles, with little real substance. Don't pass up his writtings because of what someone else says. See for yourself.

Steve

5. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I agree that MacArthur's stuff is top notch.

I just cracked up with that Jack Hyles's comment.

By the way, you Packer and Vikings fans are finally getting your prayers answered; you don't have to play the Bucs in your conference anymore.

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are your thoughts on:
    WE Vines NT Commentaries
    Wuest NT Commentaries
    Vincent's
    Robertson's WP
    Adam Clarke
    Albert Barnes
    People's NT Commentaries
    Jamieson-Faucet-Brown

The last 5 seem to be pretty much standard on many Bible study CD's.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought the Bucs were in Pittsburgh, right?

Down in Tampa they were selling sweet corn $12 a dozen. Only way they could find a real buck-an-ear!

9. tfisher

tfisher New Member

The Key Word Study Bible would be good for a lay person. Although, I would not have it as my only study Bible. I like it not only for the word studies, but because the key words are underlined and I have to take notice of them.

I just purchased "Romans: Verse by Verse" by William R. Newell. I am not very far into it yet, but it seems to be really good. Newell also wrote the hymn "At Calvary". For writing a song that good, I thought I should at least see what he has to say about Romans.

BTW, you can get free access to John Gill's and Matthew Henry's commentaries at www.crosswalk.com in the Bible study section. Or at least you could the last time I checked.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Scott, I think you asked me about this in a PM and I am sorry I didn't get back with you. I don't have Wuest's and I probably woulnd't unless someone gave them to me or they were $3 for the set. I am not convinced that Wuest's handle on Greek was what it could have been and today I think there are a lot of sources that surpass him. However, I have never used him much and so others might have a different opinion of him.

I do have Barnes. It is good for application and the like. Not real deep but I usually glance at it in preparation.

11. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Get A Thompson Chain Reference.
    J. Vernon McGee Commentaries. [​IMG]

The two best thing I can think of for a new Believer. (Or anyone else for that matter) :D

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the Ryrie, the New Geneva and an Open bible and the one I find myself using the most is the New Geneva although I am not really a fan of the single column format. Would like to get a MacArthur Study Bible sometime in the future.

Commentaries I really like the New American Commentary by Broadman and the New International Commentary of the New Testament by Eerdmans. That is what I have seen of them so far I don't have the whole set(s).

13. jerry wayne

jerry wayne New Member

Is anyone familiar with The Baptist Study Bible edited by W. A. Criswell and Paige Patterson? It's NKJV published by Nelson. If so, any comments? (I believe that it was published under a different name some years back.)

14. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Scott J asked:

What are your thoughts on:
    WE Vines NT Commentaries

I assume this is the same Vine who published the Expository Dictionary of the New Testament, right? I've often found that to be a good resource (Greek for non-Greek-speaking people!), but I haven't used the commentary series at all.

I was briefly tempted to pick up the volume on Galatians since it was the only one for that epistle available off the shelf at the local Christian bookstore, but I opted to order in Timothy George (New American series) and Richard Longenecker (Word series) instead.

As far as the remainder of your list goes, I have only used:

Adam Clarke
    Jamieson-Faucet-Brown

and have found much of value in both - JFB more than Clarke (his being a Wesleyan and all).

There are two good reasons (that I can think of) why older commentaries such as the above are so common on CDs. First, they are in the public domain; they can be reproduced freely and at little additional cost. Second, the work to digitize them has already been done; many of the lengthiest electronic commentaries, such as Gill's, are available through the efforts of Larry Pierce (author of the Online Bible). (While it's not illegal I do sometimes wonder about how ethical it is to simply take all the work he has done and repackage it as value-added material in your own product.)

Incidentally, for a thumbnail evaluation of some of these old commentaries, Spurgeon's lectures on Commenting and Commentaries are a good place to start.

15. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I own this and have been very pleased with the notes. It doesn't have a very good interpretation of Romans 7 or Hebrews 6. If you can look past that though, it is excellent.

16. bjonson

bjonson New Member

As many others have said, the John MacArthur Study Bible is absolutely the best.

I've grown SIGNIFICANTLY after using this Bible

17. gratefulcao

gratefulcao New Member

I am using Zondervan's NIV Study Bible.
    As for the commentary, I am using the Expositor's Bible Commentary.
    How you guys feel about these?