1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

commentaries

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by donnA, Apr 24, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm looking for a good online commentary, not Matthew Henry which I have in book and on my computer. But I'm just not sure which ones are trust worthy.
    I bet I've asked this before and have forgotten, oh well, sorry if you've answered before.

#1 donnA, Apr 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  2. Allan

Allan Active Member

Blueletterbible.com has some.
    One is Matt. Henry and another is Jamison-Faust. There are a couple of others but those to are comple sets in the program.
    You just find the verse you are looking for and to the left of it you will see about 6 blue squares with different letters on them. C=Concordenance, V=Versions of the bible (I think they have like 12 or so), L=List Commentaries (you'll need to scroll down the info box because the first ones are audio, second set is work books I think, and the last section is the actaul commentaries themselves.

You can do a search for John Calvins Commentaries on certain books, like Galatians, Ephesians, et...

I'm not sure if John MacAurthors is on in full form or not.

Another cite that might have some is Biblegateway.com

I have forgotten the links to some others because they are at home and I just shorted them so I didn't have to find them again. Most of mine anymore are hard backs or computer, and I'm going more so comp anymore because it is cheaper. :(
    I like books.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I read some of the John Calvin commentary for last weeks Sunday school, I like to be prepared before I go.
    I'll check out the blueletterbible.com
    thanks

4. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Sadly, most of the commentaries that are free are also outdated and very devotional. :(

However, Calvin and Mathew Poole's commentaries can both be accessed online. Those are probably the two best commentaries that are available for free. These are less devotional and more exegetical. They can be insightful, but I think the only way to get a good commentary is to spend the $$$.

5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Quote made by A. Lee Stanford.

Generally speaking, I fully agree with this statement made by one of my former teachers when I was a student in Bible College.

That said, I wonder if one can find the Commentaries of Dr. John Gill available, anywhere? The reason I suggest him, is not that I have ever read any of his commentaries, for I have not, although I have read some in his other works, notably much of A Body of Divinity, but because he is the only individual to have ever written commentary on each and every verse in the Bible, hence one would have one person's commentary on all of Scripture.

JFB and Matthew Henry's commentaries are certainly worthwhile. And one can find many other good commentaries on various books, as well. Just remember that all of the commentators, are just as you or I, in the final analysis, simply "common taters".

None of them, nor do we, have a monopoly on truth.

[Edited to add!] I just noticed what ReformedBaptist has just posted, above.

Ignoring the commercial, :laugh: :laugh:

one can find Gill on-line, apparently.

Ed

#6 EdSutton, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  7. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I always recommend visiting ccel.org

Calvin is there. There are also many works by the Church Fathers.

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.bible.org has a ton of studies from Dallas men.
    Search for Constable or Sonlight. He is a Dallas man and you can download his commentaries free if you find the right spot.

http://www.e-sword.net where you can download a great bible program with many commentaries such as Gill, Barnes, Jamieson, Fausett, and Brown, Robertsons word studies, vincent word studies, Wesley and others free. He has some pay for stuff but there is a ton of free stuff.

http://www.wordsearchbible.com/ is a free bible program that has a ton of books and resources free.

http://www.memoware.com has some free stuff, but watch what you get there are some good and some not so good. They also have a ton of ebooks all free.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Yeah, I've been afraid I was going to have to spend major buck on something good. But it would be worth it, I'd just have to save first.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

I was thinking, how could a bible commentary be outdated.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Oh wow, thanks.

12. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Without question the best commentary on the Internet and as good as any I have seen anywhere. If you haven't located it, go here: http://www.soniclight.com/constable/notes.htm

13. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I often feel much comfortable reading print text. Is the commentary by Gill possible to get in print form (books)?

14. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

15. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Hey, awesome. I take some heat for liking Gill, but I always for some other commentary that can match or equal its depth...even if someone disagrees with some of the theology. Haven't seen anything yet.....:laugh:

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I got my Gill commentary from Vision Forum. They currently offer it for $250. Click here:

http://www.visionforum.com/search/productlist.aspx?search=John+Gill

Amazon has it for $375. I assume they are identical so go with Vision Forum.

I love my set. I would say 90% of the time, when I look at Gill's comments, it's as if he knew exactly what my question was going to be on that particular verse of scripture. Even when I don't agree with his conclusions, I find his exegesis and hermaneutic hard to dispute against.

17. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Also, for online commentaries, www.monergism.com has a whole section on commentaries.

18. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I had asked several people about commentaries by John Phillips and many like his commentary the "Exploring Series" Another commentary by H.A. Ironside looks good to me but I would like others comments also.

19. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Linguistic advances, grammatical advances, and theological advances can all render a commentary outdated.

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

So, so, true!