1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Comments on leadership books

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by thjplgvp, Oct 24, 2006.

1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I posted this in the books section but got no responses so I thought I would try it here.

I am reading Management a Biblical Approach by Myron Rush and I am finding it very interesting. I have also read Spiritual Leadership J Oswald Sanders and two of Maxwell's books as well.

I would be interested in reading more on this topic of leadership. Would you be willing to comment and add those books you believe might be helpful.

Thjplgvp

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Although he is not considered very acceptable by a lot of baptists, i did get a LOT out of "Courageous Leadership" by Bill Hybels.
    I've got a copy of "Spiritual Leadership" too, i need to get around to reading that ASAP.
    As for a secular resource, i heard a lot of good things about a recent biography (about 3-4 years old) of John Adams.

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Thanks Bobby,

I will look into the Hybel book.

Thjplgvp

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

John Maxwell does almost as good of a job as Jesus, Paul, and Peter in the Word.

;)

IMHO. The Word is still a must have resource.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Hybel's book is very good. Sanders is very good.

The Disciple Making Pastor by Bill Hull is very good.
    Leading from the Inside Out by Samuel Rima is good.

Maxwell's stuff is pretty cliche. I have read a lot of it, and found it pretty typical of motivational stuff, with little theology. I wouldnt' recommend him.

Read Jack Welch, Donald Trump (Art of the Deal), Lee Iacocca. These are men who have actually lead.

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oswald Sanders is good. In my view, though, pastoral leadership is worlds apart from the leadership most in the secular world practices. I believe that the pastor should be a servant-leader (Mark 9:35 & 10:44, 1 Cor. 9:19, etc.), so I wouldn't recommend 99% of secular books on leadership. I seriously doubt if Donald Trump or Lee Iacocca believes leaders should be servants, for example.

Having said that, here is an excellent book on the character of the leader from somewhat of a servant-leadership viewpoint by a retired USAF Colonel, Jeff O'Leary: The Centurian Principles. Caveat#1--I wish he had left out Joan of Arc!) Caveat #2--The author is a Christian, but the book is not from a Biblical viewpoint per se.

Here are a couple of good ones I read last year for a pastoral leadership class:
    Well-Intentioned Dragons: Ministering to Problem People in the Church, by Marshall Shelley
    Liberating Ministry from the Success Syndrome, by Kent and Barbara Hughes

7. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

The Training of the Twelve by A.B. Bruce

The Servant by James C. Hunter

Guided by Grace by Paul Chappell

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Excellent book! Should be required reading for pastors and anyone in ministry.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Excellent. I'd add:
    - Brothers, We Are Not Professionals by John Piper
    - Rethinking the Successful Church by Samuel Rima
    - Pastoral Leadership by Robert Dale
    - The Dynamics of Church Leadership by Aubrey Malphurs (in fact, read a lot of Malphurs. Advanced Strategic Planning is also good). When I teach seminars on Pastoral Leadership, I rely a lot on Malphurs since he's fairly practical.
    - Mastering the Pastoral Role by Paul Cedar, Kent Hughes, and Ben Patterson
    I don't know too many that approach Sanders's Spiritual Leadership though.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Amen to that. While not strictly a book on leadership, I also add If I Were Starting My Ministry Again by John Drescher. Probably the best book I read on ministry and most practical. It's a little book of about 90 pages. I read it yearly. That and Making Sense of the Ministry by the Wiersbes. Good for someone right out of seminary.

11. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Leadership books

Thank you so much Gentlemen for your thoughts, insights and in put. Many of these books will soon be on a new shelf in my library, hopefully with highlighted sections throughout. :smilewinkgrin:

A book that I did not list but one I believe would be very helpful to those interested is the "Subtle power of spiritual abuse" by David Johnson. There is a couple of areas where the writer seems to have dove off the deep end but over all it is a powerful book that causes one to look at himself as pastor in relation to the power/authority given him by God.

Keep suggesting and I will keep reading. :laugh:

Thjplgvp

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have read some of Maxwell's stuff. Low theology--I guess he is gearing to the general public.

It's okay, makes interesting bathroom reading.

13. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Hello again,

I just finished Well intentioned Dragons and found it a great read (one four hour setting). I found his real life examples interesting and took note that in most instances there was not only a premonition of a problem but that the difficulty was between people who knew each other rather well. I particularly noted that where one meets to solve a problem has much to do with portraying neutrality, humility or authority.

I especially took note of one comment on page 47 dealing with the emotional level of confrontation and the strong sense that drives a person to approach a real or perceived problem. "If a person is argued into submission or politicallysubdued in one area but the underlying emotional need isn't met, he'll simply create another headache somewhere else."

In another word stay with dragon until you know not sense the issue is dead and no longer a threat.

At this point I would still place it third on the list behind Spiritual Leadership and Management a Biblical Approach. I would say that in my opinion if one enjoyed Well Intentioned Dragons he would also enjoy The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse which gives one an inverse look of might provoke the well intentioned Dragons.

I just started "If I were starting my ministry again", a tiny book on probably not more than 40 pages in a real book format. I will give my thoughts on it in a couple of days.

thjplgvp

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Way to go, thjplgvp. You read the thing straight through? Amazing.:thumbs:

I learned a lot from that one, too.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

For several years I was involved in turning bad situations around. One thing I found that always worked, was a careful observation of the leadership Jesus demonstrated. If one spends time reading through the gospels and is careful to see how Jesus dealt with people he will see many sides of the same person and great leadership skills exhibited.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! :jesus:

17. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

If I Were Starting My Ministry Again by John Drescher

Tom, I have to admit I was not very impressed when the book came in the mail and I ended up putting it in the bathrooom for a 'read as you go' excercise. It has been two plus weeks and I have to say that it has been a great read there is an incrdible amount of wisdom tied up in those little pages of itty bitty words (picca). :smilewinkgrin: I just hate small books and the print is so small I have to leave reading glasses in the rest room. :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for putting it on your list of books to read.

thjplgvp
    thjplgvp

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for the ideas, guys! I'm thinking Christmas gifts for the man who is hard to shop for (DH). He loves books and these look like great ones!!

19. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I finished reading this book this morning and I wish to thank the one who put it on the list.

The Dynamics of Church Leadership By Aubrey Malphurs
    Published by Baker 1999

First the book is written as a mentor speaking with his student and is therefore a book written in a dialog format. None-the-less I found it very informative as it relates to the structure of leadership with in the local New Testament church. After finishing a book I often thumb back through it in order to see how many highlights I made and in this book there were many.

Two chapters that were particularly helpful to me are as follows.

Chapter 3 answering the core ministry questions
    Chapter 4 relating to the congregation, staff and board

In chapter four under the heading of ‘the three dimensions of the church’ he writes the following concerning what tends to take place when a church does not have a known, communicated and identifiable cause.

“When there is no cause, the church has no direction. The soldiers are fighting hard but don’t know why. They ask, ‘What’s this war about anyway?’ The leadership responds, ‘We don’t know either but we’ve been fighting as long as we can remember.’ Over time, their efforts diminish and many eventually cease altogether.”

I would consider this a good book for any pastor who wants a few insights that will help him in the overall leadership of his church.

thjplgvp

20. Fred Moritz

Fred Moritz New Member

Leadership Books

I just finished reading Al Kaltman's Genius of Robert E. Lee and I liked it. You can get it at abebooks. An old one but worth reading if you can find a used copy is David L. Hocking, Be A Leader People Follow.