1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Comments on this article welcome

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by grahame, Feb 13, 2008.

1. grahame

grahame New Member

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20080211_the_war_against_tolerance/
    Being British I don't know these people and so would like to know what folk here think of this article.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Personally, I think there is much truth in it. I watch "Little Mosque On The Prairie" on CBC and think that is closer to the truth. Most every kind of people wants peace.

Jewish historians say they did better under Islam than under pre 19th century Christianity.

3. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I don't agree with the premise that this is a set-up by 'the Christian right'.

I do believe much of this is as hateful to Christians as it may be to Muslims. Just because some group (i.e. Focus) has recognized a person does not mean all Christians have given endorsement or consent: But the article generallizes to have us seeing it this way. Futhermore, it does not mean that the group (Focus on the Family, et al) has power over the content of the speach or power over the authority of another institution to chose its own speakers and the subject and purpose to which they speak.

If these speakers speak without enumeration, perhaps they speak from the conviction of their own experience which is a legitimate point of view whether or not its valid (meaning correct and unbiased). If they speak for enumeration.... and reported one has written a book (did I read that right?) then there maybe material gain involved. What none can know from this article is whether or not there is a hidden coercsion on these speakers created, perhaps, from their background and previous allegiances and associations.

Half truths are disinformation, but, isn't it an effective way of hitting us in the gut and drawing a response? And the overall impression I'm getting from this article is discrediting Christianity or equating 'the Christian right' with Muslim extremists. Perhaps it seems like some legitmacy when people hijack the name of religion to support actions which betray those principles; But there is little concept in the mind of the general public to consider the deception of 'agent provacateurs' which enter easily into any sheepfold... dressed like sheep but howling like wolves with a different behavior and purpose to discrediting the group. And there are many just as willing or more so to discredit Christianity as there are to discredit Muslims.

The author, himself, states
    This is EXACTLY the point. He calls them 'frauds' yet identifies them as 'Christians' and of the 'Christian right'.

#3 windcatcher, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If Dobson has his foul fingers in it, I don't doubt it is a set up.

5. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

They are not frauds. Walid Shoebat, one of the three former Muslims responded;

Walid was born in September of 1960 in the town of Beit Sahour -Bethlehem, not a Christian Lebanese Phalangist as his detractors have alleged. In 1977 Walid was caught distributing Palestinian flags and was arrested and held for about two weeks. He was recruited by Mahmud Al-Mughrabi a known bomb-maker while being held. In 1977 Walid and his friends planted a bomb on the roof of a bank.

Regarding his conversion to Christianity, he says, "My family offered me an ultimatum—come to Bethlehem Court and denounce my Christian faith, or loose my land…. I have full documentation—sale deed and land survey."

LINK

As for Chris Hedges, the writer of the piece, well he routinely supports Palestinian terrorists. He has asserted that suicide bombers who blow up civilians are driven to it by despair, and are "affirming themselves through death". He praises spirituality, but then criticizes every organized religion except Islam. Hedges has said that singing "God Bless America" leads to tyranny, and said "it's very dangerous and it has to be stopped." He has stated that "Social despair has led tens of millions of Americans into the arms of Christian right demagogues who promise miracles and magic",

So we know where he is coming from.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

I suppose no ex-Christians have been shunned for joining another religion.

7. grahame

grahame New Member

I also know a Muslim who can confirm that he is genuine.

8. grahame

grahame New Member

Nope. We're all pefect.:saint: :tonofbricks: :laugh:

9. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

That is very interesting. It would be a good thing if your Muslim friend's story got out. Might be dangerous for him to speak though.

10. grahame

grahame New Member

I don't think he would be, because he mentioned it in the presence of other Muslims. I think it is because he lived in the same place as him once. He just mentioned it casually. He didn't know the other two "jokers" though, as he put it.