1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Commercials and Christianity

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by drfuss, Dec 1, 2006.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

With Christmas coming, commercials to get us to buy material things will increase. In trying to sell things, the first objective is to make you unhappy with what you have so you will want to but what they are selling.

Does our constant exposure to commercials tend to make us unhappy?

Is it the Christian thing to do to make people unhappy with the material things they have now?

Is it the Christian thing to do to try to convince people that material things will make them happy and satisfied?

A few years ago, a guest Wednesday night speaker introduced himself indicating his profession was to develop commercials and sales techniques. He jokingly said some people think that his profession and being a Christain is a contradiction. Do you think this is a contradiction?

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I wouldn't say that all advertising is evil. But I think that what the world perceives as effective advertising is. It is definitely designed to cause people to covet. Personally I find myself much more contented since I stopped filling my head with television.

3. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I still watch telvision, but I generally surf the other channels during commercials because I realize that most commercials are a bad influence.