1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

COMMON GROUND COFFEE HOUSE #33

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by I Am Blessed 24, Jan 27, 2004.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

School is rarely called off where we live. The low tonight will be -22, and the high tomorrow -15, with the windchill not getting above -41 in either case. My wife gets some extra income by delivering the paper in the mornings. She was out this morning in those temperatures. It took her two hours to deliver 115 papers. She didn't freeze, but she was cold by the time she returned. Warm clothing and expect the worst attitude (but hope for the best). It all comes with the territory.
    DHK

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Yikes! Now THAT is cold! I cannot even imagine that cold. It's down to 38° now but our Nick played outside today with just two long sleeved shirts on. It was low 50's here.

My tummy is all better. I ate some supper. Must have been just not eating all day.
    [​IMG]

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Diane: Glad you're feeling better! What is Jim's job situation now?

DHK: The only reason school was cancelled for tomorrow was because there are so many kids who walk to school without proper clothing and they could get frostbite. Normal temp for this time of year around here is 34ºF.

I delivered early morning papers for 4 years. I know I used to freeze in the winter and it was always still dark when I got back home! And, of course, that early in the morning no one had their walks shoveled and the snow plows hadn't been out yet either...

[​IMG]

4. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

I KNEW I liked Texas for a reason!!! I really am just blown away by the temps several of you are experiencing!

It has been cold here (for us), but NOTHING like the temps I am seeing some of you reporting. And, so far this year, we have had no ice storms. That is usually what we get if we get anything...ice, no snow...just a thin layer of ice which sends everybody into apoplexy. I really just can't fathom temps below zero, NOT accounting for the wind chill...brrrrrr...makes me cold just to think about it!

Yea!!!!!! I am off tomorrow!!!! [​IMG] Have a dentist appt. in the morning, nothing serious, but will just take up some of my time off! After that, I will do my running around, and then I'm in until Sunday!!! [​IMG]

Really not much planned, which is EXACTLY the way I like it!! I will read and just generally relax!! I, of course, will watch the Super Bowl even though I really don't care who wins...I guess I will pull for the Panthers just because us southerners have to stick together! [​IMG]

CJ

5. I Am Blessed 24

Hey CJ! I've missed you!

I am going to enjoy staying inside where it's warm tomorrow and cleaning house! Well, staying inside where it's warm anyway. :rolleyes:

I am going to bake a ham to get the heat from the oven. We will eat it Saturday too. I had planned on doing some running, but not when the windchill is going to be -25ºF!!!!

Although, I DID go to the store this morning after I stood at the corner when temp was -5º! :confused:

I may not even get dressed tomorrow! I've got a lot of 'fuzzies' that I wear around the house. Hubby will be working so I will have the house all to myself (nice sometimes)!

§ue (Is it Spring yet?)

6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Next week the groundhog will tell us if we can expect six more weeks of winter!

Those kids who get time off from school because it is so cold - will soon find out that they will lose spring vacation - because they had too many days off in the winter - then they'll be angry!

Dan - I used to hope for days off from school!

7. I Am Blessed 24

Hey Dan!

Tomorrow is the only day school has been closed here. They will just have to go one day longer at the end of the school year. I'd rather stand at the corner then than now! :D

Well, I think it is time for this one to head for slumberland! I will be up early whether I have to work or not!

Enjoy a restful night's sleep my friends.

[​IMG]

§ue [​IMG]

8. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

It's me again!

I finished my 10 hour OSHA course - now I will get a card - which proves that I've been trained. Ain't I lucky?

Jan went to a pain clinic today. The doctor was a D.O. (Doctor of Osteopath)and he manipulated her back, neck, and hips. She feels better than she has in years. She will also be going to therapy!

Dan- busy day!

Also filled out income tax returns!

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of busy-ness today, but home now and going to start therapy on the feet. Actually look forward to it, as it "ties me up" for 45 minutes on each foot/leg and then hands.

Can't answer the phone, can't get up, just sit with doritos and the remote. It don't get no better than that for a man! :rolleyes:

10. I Am Blessed 24

Wellllllll, I don't think I will be up quite as early in the morning! I forgot what midnight looked like!

My son, Vern, sent me the monthly devotional 'newletter' that he writes and has me type up and snail mail to prison inmates (most are new converts). I also send a lot via email. So those of you on here who have asked to recieve it will be getting it tomorrow.

Anyway, I was just going to get it started tonight and finish it tomorrow. But once I got started I typed the whole four pages!

I am REALLY going to bed now! I don't know how you night owls do this every night! :eek:

§ue (glad there is no work tomorrow)

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I, too, am heading UP to bed . . oh, wrong thread.

But PRAISING GOD because we got www.phr.net up and running today! The wife's clinic site was never a real "store", but at least now we have some products listed, along with what she does.

For 35 years I have been the "bread winner" as pastor and college professor. It is odd, now, with my physical challenges, to have HER be the "man of the house" and HER ministry bring in the money to pay the rent.

Humbling. We've always been a "team" and treated all money as "our" money. But it still is hard.

Hopefully this web site will generate interest and income.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, www.grif.net - MY website, is also up and running again, after many on/off (UP/DOWN) months after being hacked.

Lots of sick humor, Bible study, etc.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Good morning all!! [​IMG]

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Sleepyhead. I was up 19 hours ago. [​IMG]
    Gina

15. I Am Blessed 24

Good Morning Dr.B., Roger, and Gina!

Well, I was hoping to sleep in a little since I was up until 1:00AM, but...

Dr.B.: Glad your web sites are up and running.

Gina: What are you doing; having a "stay-awake" marathon???

Temp is -7ºF this morning with a windchill of -25ºF. It is going to get UP to 11ºF today! Wow! Time to go sunbathing. :rolleyes:

I am so happy I don't have to stand on the corner today! [​IMG]

I think I need a cup of 'real' coffee this morning. Brain is awake (I think), but my eyes are not.

[​IMG]
    §ue

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Too cold up there, Sue, for the Baptist Board Cajuns---Blackbird and Granny G.!!! Coldiest I've ever been was 5 F!!(We were in Memphis at the time---and one of Ninety Nine's Alberta Clippers came through!!!) And that was so "Booger Cold!" I couldn't stand it!!!

But it won't be long before the "Sac-a-Lat" will be spawning and bitin'!!! Blackbird done know dat fo' sur'!!! And da' taste good in de deep fat fry--outside cooker!!!

Your Southern Baptist preachin', fish eatin' buddy,
    Blackbird

17. I Am Blessed 24

Morning Blackbird!

I had Catfish for supper one night this week and it was goooooood! Didn't have to use no 'stink bait' to catch him either...just went to the store! [​IMG]

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Wow, Gina, you ARE a night owl!

Dr. Bob, hope you slept really well! I've got a list of things to order off phr.net just as soon as we get a paycheck. Dr. Theresa recommended some antigens and a couple of other things to help Nick's body fight the reaction to mosquitoes naturally without all those killer meds the allergist tried to get me to give him. Say NO to steriods!

Morning Sue, and I'm so glad you don't have to stand on that corner in THIS weather.

Blackbird.... you know, when we first moved to Connecticut I was terrified I'd freeze. It's a different kind of cold up there. Here, it drops to 30° and we're cold because we still have the humidity but a dry cold is not as bone chilling as a wet southern chill. I never minded the cold and snow up north. We had a snowblower that was on treads. It was self propelled and did a swatch about 30" at a time. We'd just clear the driveway and wrap around sidewalks a couple of times during each snowfall instead of waiting until it stopped. We lived on the corner and the law was your sidewalks had to be cleared within so many hours of the last snowflake. The snowplows would come down East Main St. and throw their load right onto the sidewalk that ran the length of our property. If it ever began to thaw and refroze, we'd have a skating rink!

Roger.... 9:00 is the interview. Jim is quite nervous. He's NEVER nervous. I think there's so much pressure to get this job that he's worried. I've tried reassuring him and just told him he only has to present himself as he is and the job will be his. Remember him in prayer this morning, please! I'll update as soon as he calls me.

I don't think I forgot anyone. Let's keep the noise down so everyone can sleep in!
    [​IMG]

19. I Am Blessed 24

Good Morning Diane!

You are an early bird this morning! I will be waiting to hear some good news from you later this morning! [​IMG]

I was going to write Dr. Theresa about a natural remedy for a problem, but decided against it after Dr. B. told me to just hang myself. :(

I have my semi-annual doctor's appointment in March. I will just ask about it then...

§ue (doesn't like to bother anyone) [​IMG]

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Diane---Praying for Jim this morning---usually one can tell within the first minute or so into the interview whether the job is theirs or not!!

Employer to Jim: "Ummmmmmm! We like ya and all! You really sing well!!! But we've got a bunch more contestants to hear and all!!!"

Jim to employer:"Yea, Right!!!!"

Jim will be fine!!!

PS---do you still have the snowblower?? Blackbird wants to "soup" it up and make somethin' out of it that Cajun's in south Louisiana would use!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Your Southern Baptist preachin', snowblowin' buddy,
    Blackbird