1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Common law membership

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church has such a rigorous membership process that we don't really have that problem, because in order to become a member, you have to be pretty committed just to get through the process. That weeds out the pew sitters and disappearing acts.

But we do have a process that removes people from the rolls after six months unexplained absence (after offering them counselling, of course). After that, they're free to reapply for membership, although I can't imagine why they'd want to, if they were so indifferent that they didn't even show up for six months.

In our church, you must submit your testimony, be baptised or be a candidate for baptism, and be mentored by one of our elders. If you're a recent convert, then you must also take a new believers' class. If you're a long time Christian, but are a prospective new member, then we strongly encourage you to take a new members class, but it isn't required.

2. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Maybe it wasn't the commitment they moved 500 miles away from but the church?

If they moved that far away maybe they just didn't see the need to try and remain underthat membership.

I can see why some people have enough of a church's membership and its mean spirited members
    to leave and not tell anyone they were leaving.

Been there, done that. They are still as mean as ever and 8 years later they still talk about us. What's so depressing is they still do people the very same way and wonder why their attedence is down while other churches are up.

Christians are supposed to be the nicest people on earth, but instead they are provoked to wrath and then condemned for reacting to the provocation.

Why is it so many are ready to condemn people for wanting to leave an abusive situation???

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

so you think people want to get away from churches so bad they'll move 500 miles away? yeah, right. thats crazy, but what else to expect.

In t he real world, people do move you know. Especially when they have family living away from them, like children and grandchildren.

this doesn't even apply to my quote. so apparently your lost here on this topic.

again has nothing to do with my quote.

and this has what to do with this topic or my quote?

the topic is not abusive churches, nor does it have anything to do with my quote, once again.

so it's apparently your opinion people leave churches only because the church is abusive and the people mean, and has nothiong to do with God or life circumstances, like moving to be with their family.

When people move away and never bother to move their membership and are not members of any church it is not the church, but as I said their sad commitment to God and His church.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Donna, are you getting the idea that you are being argued with simply for the sake of argument?

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

yes, this seems to be his normal habit, if it doesn't say it he'll add it and act like you said it.
    and he talks about how unchristian other are.

#45 donnA, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
  6. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

I wonder how many discouraged, wounded Christians your church has buried alive?

Nice cut there calling them indifferent

Sounds just like micormanagement. Has anyone ever accused you of being a legalist?

The church is to be a hospital for the soul, and emergency room for the spiritually wounded. You make it sound like its a boot camp where only the fittest can survive!

Don't get me wrong, I fully support accountability, but if one isn't as faithful as we expect they are encouraged to become more faithful, but not cut off!

Only those faithful in theur stewardship are allowed to serve in any position. I count myself as one very undeserving to hold the position I hold. The sad thing is poeple with the same mentaility also think I should not be doing the service I have done nowfor over 5 years. They have gone as far as to speak to the pastor against what I have been doing and even he sent people in the "investigate" and bring their report back to him:laugh:

What a joke! The ran their little new converts class and they graduated all them. The only ones "moved up" are just as mean and critical as they are.

At least now that tie has been broken these very same ones are starting to realise it.:godisgood:

The ones we have left are sensitive to others and especially to the Lord. Are they faithful? Not as we would like. Do we then chastise the and bring them under church discipline? No, we preach like a wild man and get right in their faces encouraging them to do right.

IT WORKS!!!!!:thumbsup:

7. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

How far is Waco, Texas from Atlanta, Ga?

Bro. Powers did just that

Moved several times growing up and we never even attended church

I was simply making statements about wha you said and you always take things to a personal level. Isn't that self-centerdness?

Why do you judge them so harshly to say this? All I've seen is just how abusive your reprot of them really is
    Never said they ONLY leave under these circumstances.

Maybe the preaching/teaching needs to be set towards accountability morethan expectability?

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

seems in your opinion people never leave church unless it's someone elses fault, and not theirs. a common response to sin.
    how about the topic of this thread.

9. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

It only seems that way to you and people like you.

I haven't even started to speak of those who have left for the WRONG reasons.

It's not looked upon as ignorance to ask questions unless the answer has been given at least three times.

#49 paul wassona, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
  10. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Local cowboy church (baptist) is common law membership.

If you are committed to Jesus, it shows in your life and deeds and you don't need the judgement of a bunch of people.

If you aren't committed to Jesus, that will show also. No matter how tight your church membership or positions you hold.

But I admit, I grew up Landmark and it is hard for those so inclined to grasp the idea of THE CHURCH rather than the local name on a piece of paper group.

As to submitting to authority, that works itself out naturally. Those committed to Jesus lead by example and folks generally follow them. Those that come in expecting to be somehow rulers folks submit to are sent back to the Bible to find out what Jesus said about leadership.

#50 nodak, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010
  11. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

gOOD OST ANDMY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Supose that a couple enters into a valid common law marriage in Pennsylvania, then later moves to Kentucky, which requires a formal marriage ceremony in front of an authorized religious or civil authority, a license, a blood test, and such. Will Kentucky recognize the validity of the couple's common law marriage? Yes." source

In certain states, a common law marriage arises when a couple "have declared their commitment and consent to be married. In most states, they must also live together and publicly hold themselves out to be husband and wife. Interestingly, although most people believe that, in order to be married under the common law, two people must live together for a certain period of time, such is not actually the case in most states." source

"In states that recognize common law marriage, it is a completely legitimate form of marriage. this means that, if the parties wish to end their relationship, they must do so through conventional means, i.e., divorce or annulment." source

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

these are peopel shacking up, nothing more. and it's off topic. this topic has been discussed many times here, with a few christians supporting shacking up. i suggest you find one of those threads or start a new one.

I did find when investigating this same topic, several times for this board. that it requires the two be liars. they must tell everyone they are married, they can not suggest to anyone they do not have a marriage license, they must tell epople they are legally married, for a certain length of time, before they are considered married by common law, menaing they must be liars first. is this a christian thing? nope.
    and common law marriage is not legal in ky.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was going to suggest that Salty choose his labels better. He is erroneously assuming that common law marriage is synonomous with cohabitation.

All marriages are common law marriages.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thread is about church membership, not shacking up. The title was simply an anology. Many attend church, saying they are part of it, but not making a full commitment.

Salty

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then call it cohabitation, don't call it common law. Common law marriage requires the exchange of vows.

17. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Not really Aaron, even though I share your sentiments.

Georgia used to allow commom law marriages as binding, my sister was "married" this way without any exchange of vows. All they did was "shack up" 5 years and that sealed it according to Ga law. Georgia doesn't recognise these any more
    and a license is required by law.

Their "sealing it" was simply filling out a form at the health department in our county. It was then sent to a judge for signing. They received no certificate or exchanged any vows, but it was recorded by the county.

Every state is different concerning this. The analogy doesn't do justice to what is being asked.

Our policy is all about position, membership and being active in ministry. We want all the help we can get. We only allow a low level in participation in ministry to those who don't formerly commit to membership and in good standing, yet not holding any position but to sit in the pew and visit,clean, mow grass, etc.

I meant to add they went through a court divorce and he was supposed to pay child support for a son which he never did. this "low life" died in prison a few years ago of hepititus B & C, LOST!

#57 paul wassona, Feb 24, 2010
  18. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No vows have to be exchanged, at least in some states.

The law in Virginia:

#58 Crabtownboy, Feb 24, 2010
  19. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None.

Well, if they don't show up for six months, don't respond to people reaching out to them, don't answer the phone, don't respond to counselling, what else are we to make of them? You make it sound as if we say "Well, we haven't seen Bob and Betty in a while. Guess we'd better cross them off the list." It isn't like that at all.

Not in regard to following Biblical instruction on church membership.

Hang on while I look for that verse...

I'm sure people said the same thing to Paul when he wrote Hebrews 5:11-14.

And how long do you allow them to be unfaithful before you speak up?

Really? Have you ever been called a legalist?

Still looking for that verse about the church being a "hospital for the soul, and emergency room for the spiritually wounded". Not coming up with anything.

20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...says the guy who just implied that I'm a legalist and that our church "buries" "discouraged, wounded Christians".

Funny how you neglected to ask me about the "other side of the coin", isn't it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.