1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Common law membership

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Our old church was smaller then our current church and everyone knew who the members were, everyone made it a point to be that acquainted with everyone else, it's the only way you know who your visitors are.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if the church records are lost, and no one has a distinct memory of the exact meeting decades ago when you were voted in as a member, you could still be a member of the church?

Why?

Just because you say you became a member, have done what a member does for so long, and so many others know you to be a member? Is that really enough?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Is that what I said? No it isn't.
    So you mean to tell me you have no idea who the members of your church are? This is how little you know about the people in your church that you have no idea whose a member there? This is all the involvement in the lives of the members of your church that you have that you have no idea whose a member there? This is all the involvement you have with your church that you have no idea whose a member there?
    I guess we're just a closer knit bunch of christians then most are I supose. Because we know each other.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course I have a very good idea of who the members of my church are. Some I can remember voting on, others were members before I was even born. For the latter, I know they are members by reputation: I have never personally inspected the church minutes from decades ago, but I know by their and others' words and and actions that they are indeed members.:thumbs:

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our church has a regular attendance of 800. I don't even know everybody but I do know the vast majority. I don't know who are and who are not members because we don't wear a special bracelet or not to show we are. My own two daughters are not yet members. They want to join but must take the new members class and have not had the opportunity just yet due to work. But I see a group of 100 people that I know dearly, I don't separate them into members and non-members. I just know them as friends and brothers and sisters in Christ. :)

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are getting off subject. It doesn't matter if you only know 100 out of 800 members or 3 of of 15 members. ''
    Or how big is too big. So I have started a new thread on that.

The point is: should we officially vote individuals into our church membership, or is just regular attendance sufficient to be thought of as a member?

and now back to our regular scheduled OP

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be a member, you must have some sort of covenant relationship with the assembly. Without that relationship there can be no church discipline and you really don't have a church; you have a series of Gospel meetings.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about this:
    Reformed Baptist Church Constitution http://ncbf.net/

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Looks like a matter of semantics to me. They have no formal membership, but they have informal members, and actual requirements to meet before one can be an "informal" member.

Sorta like the story I heard about Abe Lincoln, who asked someone, if a cow has four legs, and you designate the tail as a leg, how many legs does it now have.

"Five."

"No, you still have four," Lincoln said. "Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it so."

I wonder if that church has a list of its informal members.

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lack of formal membership would be the least of my objections to that covenant, which is about the least Baptistic governing document I've ever seen.

Even Augustine had to be elected by the congregation before he could be consecrated as bishop.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

there you go, proves my point

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

I did say the activemembership was 150. (which I specified because I knew your church was much larger) If you had only 150 woudn't you know who was who?

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're point is that the essence of membership rests in a legislative decree. His point is that membership rests in the heart.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

nope sorry, my point was, smaller churches, like the 150 active membership know each other and know whose a member and whose not. That was my pont.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and by a member you mean one that was voted on and who is on the role. The others are attempting to tell you that membership is something other than a role, and that members would be known by their hearts if a fire destroyed the church documents.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

no it was said if you didn't have the documents you wouldn't know your members. I said we'd know ours.

17. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you fellowship people who aren't members?

By the way, anybody seen Paul Wassona lately?

18. Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many believed and were added to the church... Sounds like two events.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

In this area I know of no Baptist church that screens potential members. A person can come on noting more then a statement of faith and be accepted. While there may be some that offer a new member class I don't know of any in the area (100 mile radius) that requires it for membership.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.