1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Common pastoral errors

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by npetreley, Aug 11, 2006.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I was going to start this thread from a different perspective. Maybe that will emerge anyway. But I figure it's easier to just address the errors alone.

My question is: What errors do you hear very commonly preached from the pulpit?

Here's one I hear very frequently (not from every pulpit, but enough such that I wonder why it's so common). During communion (Lord's supper, whatever you want to call it), I frequenly hear preachers read from 1 Corinthians 11, and then say something like, "Examine yourselves. If you have any unconfessed sin, you shouldn't partake of the Lord's supper."

Here are the problems with that:

1. When Paul tells people to examine themselves it has nothing whatsoever to do with unconfessed sin. It is referring to their behavior and attitude toward the Lord's supper. Some were getting drunk, others were eating without waiting, allowing others to go hungry, etc. They were showing ignorance and disrespect for the purpose and meaning of the Lord's supper, and disrespect for one another (a lack of love for one another).

2. I challenge anyone to claim with total honesty that they have no unconfessed sin in their lives. I'm not talking about something you did in 3rd grade. I'm talking about any sin whatsoever. I think if people really want to misinterpret the scripture as meaning you shouldn't take the Lord's supper if you have any unconfessed sin, then nobody would qualify.

Any idea where this error originated? It's in the commentary in the Ryrie Bible, but I can't imagine everyone got it from the Ryrie Bible.

What errors do you often hear?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you that this is not about unconfessed sin. It is often interpreted that way because of the word "unworthily". But this word is actually an adverb and cannot be interpreted in such a way. You are correct in your understanding of this passage.

However, im quite sure there will be those who will be willing to "Go to the matresses" over this issue. it can stir up quite a hornets nest.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

:laugh: :laugh:

I think it's "go to the mats." Fighting is on the mats (or I guess wrestling and stuff like that is), not on mattresses (unless it's a pillow fight! :smilewinkgrin: )

4. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What about the error that Malachi 3:8-10 implies that if Christians don't give 10% of their gross (or net or whatever) income to a local church (of which every believer must be a card-carrying member) then they are "robbing God"?
    Deuteronomy 14 and many other passages are perfectly clear about what a Biblical tithe was, who it was for, when it was collected, and what was done with it, but most pastors don't seem to mention that at all.

5. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I think that this error has been taught in so many churches for so long, that many pastors do not even know it is an error.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I totally agree. Partaking unworthily means "not discerning the Lord's body," as the context shows.

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Anyone want to speculate on why these errors and others are perpetuated? Is it that some pastors just repeat what they were taught, or heard in other churches?

Here's a trickier question. Suppose you approach a pastor about an error like this but he sticks to his guns. Would that be grounds for finding a new church?

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is a question that will get one into trouble regardless of the answer. I guess it depends on the error as far as breaking with a church. It would have to be a pretty serious one. For instance, over and over, the sermon has been preached that the wine in Jesus first miracle in John at the wedding party was non-alcoholic. Reading the context of the verses, I do not agree with that at all. Is that an issue to look for a new church over? Of course not.

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The reason I might seek a new church is because it would be telling (to me, anyway) if the pastor didn't care about or refused to acknowledge what scripture really said. I'm not talking about disputable errors, but clear ones.

It isn't that this particular error (unconfessed sins) is so serious - the question is, do you really want to be led by a pastor who stubbornly refuses to submit to the truth in scripture? Wouldn't it be likely that this attitude would affect other things he taught?

Anyway, that's why I might be inclined to seek another church.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Absolutely!!! To "discern" the Lord's body--is to set acclaim that He is uniquely seperated from sinners---He stands alone in His power---but at the same time He stands among us as us with us!! He is so much unlike me--its pitiful to know He'd even want to be around me!!! But I'm amazed that He does!!! What is Amazing grace?? Amazing grace is that He would even condencend to save a sinner like me!!!

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Here is one I have heard, growing up in Mississippi, the term Paul uses for marriage, not to be "unequally yoked" as a reason for one race not marrying another. To me when I read that verse, it means believer to unbeliever. Now, it may be true that interracial marriages are an easy road to travel, but there is nothing Biblical about the concept. And please, no verses about the purity of the Jews.

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Yeah, I've heard that quoted as if it was talking about people who have a different level of passion for the Lord, too. While that may lead to problems in a marriage, it isn't what the text is talking about. It's believers to unbelievers, as you said.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Go to the matresses" is a term from the God Father movies. It means to go to war. Not as in a military conflict but between gangs or mobs.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I didn't know you had to confess your sins one by one, I thought the confession is that you are a sinner?

Many sins we commit we never realize is a "sin". It's like you can offend another without realizing you offended them.

15. Burrito Breath

Burrito Breath New Member

Pastor meestake; chokin durin communion

Anudder beeg meestake is when pastor try to speak 2 quickly after dry swallow of cracker.

I say keep a leetle blu nun nearby to hep wash it down. Stop heem from blowin chunks; if u know what I meen.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Here is another one that bugs me. Someone had a thread on this a few weeks ago. It is unBiblical to dance. Where did that come from?

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is an indictment that the pastors view is an unreasonable one and refuses to do what he sees is so obvious.

But the truth is reasonable people can disagree on a great many things. I would not assume he is off on any other thing just because he holds this view. Do not forget that your pastor is your God given spiritual authority. Do not be so quick to dismiss him.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

True, you may have trouble finding one you agree with 100%...

19. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Today, I consider, many pastors preaching on tithing of Malachi 3:8-10, to telling to the congregation, tithing is a command, must giving exactly 10% from their income work, or they robbed God, their preaching is error.

BUT. I am no doubt, many pastors are aware of tithing are not apply to us of today. And it was apply to the priests and laws during Old Testament period. But, they don't mind about it, they need money from congregation. Many pastors are greedy for money, continue to teaching or preaching on tithing to the congregation.

Apostle Paul never teach on tithing anywhere in his epsitles. Neither Jesus teaches on tithes to us during in his ministry in the four gospel books. Apostle Paul told them, that we should be cheerful giver, not complain. Bible doesn't saying how much we giving. God interesting in our heart and right attitude willing to giving much as we desire with joyful heart. God will blessing us.

I know there is another many errors as what pastors preaching today. I rather not debate with you on many issues. Many of you already know of my real beliefs. Because many of you already read mine posts throughout years at baptistboard.

Many pastors are not perfect They are try best as they can. But, we should be aware that, pastors shall receive greater condemnation from God at the judgment day than regular or average Christians. Because they are risk taking duty for being leading the flock in the right or wrong direction. Being pastor is not funny task or duty.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Oh, sorry, Revmitchell. :eek: Guess you can tell I didn't see those movies!

It does sound funny, at least to me, to say "go to the mattresses" for gang wars, though. Well, I learned something! :thumbs: