1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Common pastoral errors

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by npetreley, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

I believe you are right. Why do you suppose God commands us to preach the gospel to all nations? Is it just to save those in the mean time before his coming?

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Speaking of altar calls, exactly where is the altar in a Baptist church? I have looked hard, but the closest I have come to identifying its location is somewhere around the Lord's Supper table.

3. Jeep Dragon

Jeep Dragon Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's usually that little step that the pastor steps on to get to the pulpet.
    It seems that people like to use Old Testament objects and terms for New Testament traditions.

tithe = 10% of increase of one's harvest = 10% of one's monetary income
    offering = a burnt sacrifice = money put in an "offering" plate
    altar = a stone platform for buring offerings = a platform to pray on in church

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Maybe the pastor is under the mistaken impression that God only hangs out at the steps near the podium, and if you want to get closer to God, you have to go up to the steps.

5. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Galatians 5:3 - Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law.

I wonder if "circumcised" could be replaced with "compelled to tithe" and the same application made?

Scary thought, but both are cases of trying to apply Old Testament Law to christians incorrectly.

Les