1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Common Sense and Theological Knowledge

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Jul 16, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Not going to mention any names, but theological degrees and knowledge, real or fake, is, in some cases, inversely proportional to common sense. When we all signed up for this board, we agreed to certain rules, and much latitude is given, as we have all gone right up to that edge of crossing over.

We are not allowed to say "you are not saved," but get by all the time with "Calvinism/Arminianism is another Gospel." How about "what you believe is heresy."

Whether or not we agree with the moderators and administrators, we are here as a privilege, not a right. The infraction I got some time back was deserved. Sure it made me angry at first, because I took the bait hook, line and sinker. However, their position alone deserves respect.

One of the rules of common sense is that you do not bite the hand that feeds you.

2. Herald

Herald New Member

As someone who serves as a moderator on another board, let me say that I agree with you 100%.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the most misused "proverbs" which is really a misaplication of 1 Corinthians 8:1 is "knowledge puffs up." That is taking not even a verse, but a part of a verse to sustain a "dumbing down" of acquiring knowledge and wisdom.

If anything the Scriptures put the acquisition of wisdom and knowledge as very important - especially as it relates to the believer.

In the Psalms, there is such verses as, "I will hide Thy word..."

In the Proverbs 4:5 "Acquire wisdom ! Acquire understanding ! Do not forget nor turn away from the words of my mouth"

Christ said, the Holy Spirit will teach the believer all things.

So, what is the practical lesson Paul is attempting to get accross in 1 Corinthians? Not that knowledge in itself is wrong, but the wrong USE of knowledge is wrong.
    8 Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that “We all possess knowledge.” But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. 2 Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know. 3 But whoever loves God is known by God.
    Common sense is expressing knowledge in terms that value the other person and in such have the heart of love.

It is so very easy to respond out of the flesh, and, more than a few times, one should wait on responding in a thread - sometimes leaving it for a while - that the power of the keyboard is not used to scornfully mock a believer who holds a contending view.

On a personal note:
    There is very few times that I purposely confronted a poster with hurtful words, but when I do so, it is purely from the heart of drawing that person into a understanding that demeaning and scorn do not edify. If I failed in that task it is because I lacked the skill to communicate my heart's tenderness which is no fault but my own.

Believers are to be known by their life of love.

Believers are to study to show themselves properly equipped to contend for the faith.

Preachers are to preach so that the believers get to the point they no longer need a preacher because they have been schooled and educated in the things of Scriptures.

Knowledge that "puffs up" is the knowing that is expressed in unloving characterizations.

A common sense Psalm (126)
    5 Those who sow with tears
    will reap with songs of joy.
    6 Those who go out weeping,
    carrying seed to sow,
    will return with songs of joy,
    carrying sheaves with them.

I would be ashamed to know that because of posting with an unChristlike attitude of scorn and ridicule, some "guest" would attribute such things as pride and arrogance and it be used to hinder the work of the Holy Spirit in their life.

Common sense obliges love be the supreme motivator in the heart of the believer.

Common sense obliges knowledge to be submissive to love.

Common sense would drive each member of the BB to their knees if a member succumbed to disease, sin, or shipwreck because the Love of God shed in our hearts compels us to truly care not only for your view, but for you.

And to the guests who "drop in and read," welcome, come on in, enjoy the fellowship and gain edification as the Holy Spirit points out areas of agreement with what is posted.

Love uses iron to sharpen iron. Did not Paul confront Peter when he did wrong because he had a wrong view?

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've been busy this summer and have been missing some posting time around here, though I have noted a markedly different temper for the board as a whole. This comes and goes for these things. So, I earnestly don't know what all this means.

Basically, I'd just challenge all of us with this observation: truth knowledge and Godly wisdom always produces humility and charity...not hubris.

People who claim degrees and are arrogant or are overtly condescending towards others often have not gotten much out of their education. They have some insecurities and a need to feel superior to others. Ultimately, scholarship and education should result in increased humility and a genuine desire for discourse. Too often some use it as a launching pad to justify their proclivities. And all too often those who claim a certain level of credential actually lack that level all together. :)