Common Sense: The Great Political Diversion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KenH, Sep 10, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH
    Expand Collapse

The Great Political Diversion

Publication Date: Monday, September 10, 2007

The rush is on. It's picked up steam and is about to roll over us. Presidential Campaign 2008 has crunched into high gear.

We are going to be hearing a lot of politics for the next thirteen months. A lot of policy. A lot of rhetoric. A lot of rumination about that nearly mythical substance, "character."

And it will mean a whole lot less than it seems.

Why? It's a diversion. The presidential race is not where we, the everyday citizens, can have the most influence.

Where we can do the most good is closer to home. With our fellow citizens, our local politicians, who might actually listen to us.

And by using our initiative rights, even if that's only in our local township, we can get more than heard — we can make changes. For the good.

The federal level? That's where most of our attention goes. But it's tough, competing against the big players, the corporation heads, the union bosses, the well-paid lobbyists. The puffed-up professional politicians, who seem to listen to them, not us. Nope, the big players have mostly sewn up national politics. Oh, we can send some money to the candidates we like — say, Republican Ron Paul or Democrat Mike Gravel (you know, the guy who threw a rock in the lake) — but actual influence? I think there's more at the local level.

So don't let the presidential race become a diversion. I see more real solutions coming from you in your community than coming from our next president.

This is Common Sense. I'm Paul Jacob.

- www.samadamsalliance.org/common_sense/id.2786/sense_detail.asp

2. Cutter

Cutter
    Expand Collapse

Common sense is a misnomer since now common sense has become so uncommon.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

3. KenH

KenH
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you on that, Cutter.