1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Communion and Substitutionary Atonement

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by hamricba, May 8, 2005.

1. hamricba

hamricba New Member

I was wondering... had been studying the SBC controversy and noticed there are some who want to insist that the substitutionary atonement of Christ is an unnecessary doctrine....

Whether or not you believe that, I am wondering how one could represent communion accurately without this view of an atonement? "This is my body which is broken for you..." "The cup of the new covenant for the forgiveness of sins..(paraphrased)"

Anyone versed enough on this subject to offer a potential explanation? My fear is that for some of these people they hold the belief that they did not need Jesus to die for their sin.

I am very much against communion services that pity Jesus in all this. The New Testament is very clear He laid down his life willingly for a great purpose- to bring us to God.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of this "controversy", perhaps heresy. Could you provide a reference?

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not familiar with the above controversy. However I would say that anyone who would attempt to remove the importance of the atonement from Christianity (in any way) should not be teaching/preaching in our denomination.

Martin.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't heard of the controversy. Do you have any resources/links? I'd like to find out about this.

5. hamricba

hamricba New Member

I am not talking about any recent statements, but it seemed like in the 1980's there were still a lot of liberal profs at SBC seminaries and some of them did not hold the sub. atonement view. Just curious how in the world a person would reconcile communion without that view (which I believe is thoroughly Biblical).