1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Communion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DavidGA, Jan 11, 2006.

1. buckster75

buckster75 Member

The ones who call them sacraments, I don't believe, can give you any Scripture Tom because as I take it LS is not a sacrament.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Jim Bublitz, who runs the blog "Old Truth" has interesting quotes from George Whitefield and C. H. Spurgeon that speaks to the subject we've been discussing.

It's at

That Romanian pastor I mentioned in an earlier post who requires two years of discipling before full membership privileges is in good company.

Tom Butler

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Apparently we've exhausted this line of discussion for the moment, so let me open a new line. Do you favor wine or grape juice? I mean fermented wine. And for the bread, do you use unleavened bread, or will saltine crackers do?

On the wine or grape juice issue, I can take either side and give you a good argument. In my church many years ago, we had a retired pastor who walked out when we observed the Lord's Supper because we used grape juice instead of wine.

After giving your preference, then I'd like to know what your church practices in this area.

Tom Butler

4. mnw

mnw New Member

I would always use grape juice and unleavened bread. Though I would not be dogmatic about the bread, it is just a symbol. My decision about the wine vs. juice is from the alcohol matter.

I did go to a Brethren Fellowship once where they had a single cup and the wine was made by an old French gentleman who attended. [​IMG] It was different.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Brother Tom:
    Personally I would have no problem using real wine, but, if it causes a local church congregation discomfort and causes disunity in the church, stay with the grape juice. It is a symbol, and either edifies the soul.

6. buckster75

buckster75 Member

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

buckster,
    re: wine and minors, it's a good question. Let's ask those whose congegations use real wine. How do you handle it?

I did check out the BMA Library article. I appreciated the way he outlined fairly the different views before stating his support for closed communion.l

TB

8. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Gee Tom, did we need to ask that question on another thread?

9. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

The Lord's supper has been ABUSED over the last 20 years or so. The Lord's Supper in Baptist churches used to be served to MEMBERS ONLY, but now is served to all who wish to partake.In other words, OPEN communion. This is not scriptural at all.

Also communion should be observed as a SOLEMN time of prayer and reflection on what Christ has done for us in his sacrifice upon the cross. Also one should examine one's own soul at this time and CONFESS any sin to God that one may not have repented of BEFORE partaking of the bread and wine(grape juice), It is a time for self examination as well. One should NOT partake of the Lord's Supper unworthily.

Concerts are nice and enjoyable, as well as pot luck dinners. But when observing the Lord's Supper, this time should be exclusive and not shared with other events during the assembly of the saints.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

buckster,
    you've been posting here much longer than I, and if you believe the question of wine or grape juice in the Lord's Supper should be in a separate thread, I bow to your experience. I was mainly trying to keep the "communion" thread alive. I'll raise the question in a new thread, and thanks for the advice
    Tom B.

11. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, I had forgotten about this thread. One thing I would suggest is that this is not as serious a problem in churches that do not practice pseudo-gospel easy believism techniques, although your post brings up an interesting perspective we probably wouldn't even think of here in America -- spies trying to infiltrate the church.

But to your questions. IF we accept a person's profession as geniune, I can see no scriptural reason to delay baptism. John turned some away, as I remember, for that reason. But the primary example is immediate baptisms. If you will look at this link, I won't try to repost much of what I've already said in another forum -- The "Urgency" of Baptism. I think on the other issue -- time elapse before church membership -- there might be more "wiggle room", although it seems to me that it comes back to whether we recognize them as a true convert. One applicable case is that of Paul trying to join the disciples at Jerusalem. He had come from Damascus and the Jerusalem folks weren't sure about him -- perhaps even thought him a spy? Once Barnabas convinced them he was a true disciple, they immediately received him.