1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Community vs. "Priesthood of the believer"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rhetorician, May 26, 2006.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who have an ear:

Before I assert anything or ask my question I want to make one thing perfectly clear: I am a staunch Baptist and believe in the "priesthood of the believer."

However, I have had the priviledge to spend a great deal of time with what I believe to be real believers from other, even liberal, denominations. They seem to have a much greater sense of "community" than we do. And what generates this deeper sense of intimacty and fellowship in worship I do not know or understand? They even seem to be connected to us (Baptists) more than we are connected to them!

One of my ongoing theories of reflection and study is this: Since the Baptists enjoyed some of their greatest growth in American in general and on the frontier of America in particular; it is my contention that this individual spirit has fostered a "me first" and "me only" theology when it comes to the Baptist's "Priesthood of the Believer" theology (mentality).

I contend that the focus in the USA Constitution has had dramatic results in this area of Baptist theology. It has been so acute that when the "Man of God" speaks from good exegesis, homiletics, and application of the Word of God, many of our people just respond; "that's just your opinion preacher!" I believe the scripture means "X, Y, and Z." Who are you to tell me anything anyway? I am my own priest! Don't we Baptist believe in the priesthood of the believer?

They seen to equate the priesthood apart from any oversight of the church or the church leadership. Why?

I know many of them are unregenerate, please do not bring that into the present discussion!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatdayathinkofthat?

sdg!

rd

2. timothy27

timothy27 New Member

I would say it is because the preacher is preachin something they do not want to hear. So if they do not agree with it they can just pull the "you don't know me" card, and act like the sermon does not apply to them.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    tim 2 7,

It seems you are correct. But, is there not something much deeper that may call for more consideration and critical thought?

sdg!

rd

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Your theory about the pioneering spirit having an effect on the Baptist viewpoint of today made sense at first. And I still think it has some validity. But I believe the pioneering spirit did not foster a selfish attitude so much as it fostered the need to watch out for each other. (Different than the need to RELY on each other)

In our recent history we have seen more of an attitude of questioning authority. This is almost seen as a virtue among many. So I think we have really let the world's thinking affect us too much.

The world's attitude of "If it feels good it IS good" becomes in the church "If it seems right to me than it must be Biblical."
    And the world's "question authority" becomes the church's "Pastor doesn't know what he's talking about."

As for community, those who are in a work together with a goal that they see as bigger than themselves will have more of a sense of community.

Is church solely a place where you go to receive?

Or do you see your church as a group of people who you work with for a common cause?

5. timothy27

timothy27 New Member

I have had a view of the church as being a place where everyone knows everything about everybody. If you are all one body then one members afflictions should afect the entire body. That way the entire church is there for support. Wouldn't it be great if you KNEW you could trust every member of your church with your struggles, and that they would help you rely on CHrist to get through those struggles.

You should be an extension of your church, and the church should be an extension of you.

I feel the same as Bapmom does about today's societal views about what is and is not okay. It does not help that our so-called "Role models" promote heretical teachings that can seem attractive to the youth of today or even a struggling believer in general no matter what age. The promotion of Kabbalah and Scientology by people who society regards as the spokepersons for morality in America.