1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Comparing Study Bibles

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truthseeker, who can read our responses but is unable to post messages asked me:
    As I am about as far from the right person to review either of these, thought I'd ask YOU ALL to comment. If you've used either, give the pro and con and help this dear friend.

Thanks.

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Because D.A. Waites accuaracy has been questionable in the past, I am not sure I would want to use the Defined KJV, especially because he inlcudes Pete Ruckman's tree of good Bibles and (word we can not use here) Bibles, which is of course ridiculous.

I have a friend who uses the Defined KJV, but he is influnced by the likes of Strouse a big Waite supporter.

I have never used the KJV Study Bible, but I have know those that do and they have been pleased with it.

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to have the KJV Study Bible by Nelson and I really liked it. It had excellent notes, maps, charts and other good helps in studying the Bible. As far as I can tell, the Defined KJV just has a dictionary of archaic words in it (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

4. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Two good reviews of the DKJB are here and here.

5. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I've had several Defined King James Bibles. I enjoyed them, especially since then I was KJV-only at the time.

It has some helpful definitions that help on words that a lot of English readers wouldn't get due to the "antiquity" of the KJV.

I bought my mom one a while back. She still uses it and enjoys it as well. The others I had I gave away to friends that needed a Bible.

Since I haven't used the other study Bible of which you refer to, I don't know how to compare them.

Waite's KJV has some things in the back about new versions. I now obviously don't agree with them, but I suppose if one is KJV-only, he'll feel right at home using that Bible.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good reviews showing how poor it is.

7. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which KJV STUDY BIBLE is the person asking about?
    There is also a KJV STUDY BIBLE published by
    Zondervan in 2002 that has the text of the 1873 edition of the KJV edited by Scrivener.

One poster already provided a link to some of my comments about Waite's DEFINED KJB:

www.dtl.org/versions/article/dkjb.htm

8. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Good reviews showing how poor it is.

Er, yeah. I should have said "well written" reviews.

9. Charles E Smith

Charles E Smith New Member

The King James Study Bible was orginally known as The Liberty Annotated Study Bible. Most of the editors,if not all were on the faculty of Liberty University in the mid 80's. I had a copy and liked the notes but the Americanization of the spellings bugged me so I sold it. If you want a study bible though and dont want to shell out the big bucks for a genuine leather Ryrie I would recommend it.

The Zondervan one that another poster mentioned is basiclly the NIV Study Bible notes with a KJV text. You can get one quite cheap on christianbook.com I guess that KJVP and KJVO are still mad at Zondervan about the NIV so they didn't buy it :mad:

10. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a copy of the LIBERTY ANNOTATED STUDY BIBLE. It does have some updated spellings, some the same as in the edition of the KJV published by the American Bible Society. It also has "Joshua" instead of "Jesus" at Acts 7:45
    in agreement with the ABS KJV edition and the RICE REFERENCE BIBLE.

11. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think some clarification is needed here. There are two bibles that go by the name, "King James Sutdy Bible".

1. Nelson's King James Study Bible, publishing by Nelson. This was previously referred to as The Liberty Annotated Bible.

2. KJV Study Bible by Zondervan. As it was pointed out, it uses the 1873 KJV text and the same notes that the NIV Study Bible uses.

Both of them are good, with my preference being the one published by Zondervan.

The Defined King James Bible is not along the same lines as either of the two above. It does not contain notes (ie. study notes) within the text, but rather alternatives to old english words which have changed meaning. The DKJB does have written articles towards the end of the bible, but they are not included in the text and are more KJVOnly type propaganda than study aids.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A year or two ago at least one of the KJVO folks gave the Defined KJV a thumbs down.

I don't remember why, he/they called it a compromise I think?

Try the archives with a scan for "defined".

HankD

13. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Yes, several KJVOs don't like Waite's study Bible or his ministry. They're just biting and devouring one another.

14. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I used to use the Nelson King James Study Bible, but I abandoned it when I discovered its notes were pro-predestination. That leaning I could not agree with in any way, shape or form. I have had no contact with the Defined KJV, so I cannot honestly give an opinion here. I would have to say I prefer the Matthew Henry Study Bible or the Ryrie Study Bible for my own personal use...

15. Charles E Smith

Charles E Smith New Member

That surprises me. the KJSB was edited by Liberty University and Liberty isn't Calvinist. I prefer the Ryrie for my daily reading but like the King James Study Bible's notes