1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Comparing the NIV to the ESV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by hawg_427, Oct 9, 2008.

1. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I have and use the KJV, NAS, NKJV and was wondering someones viewpoint comparing the NIV vs the ESV. The Church my Wife and I go to use the NIV but our Pastor thinks the ESV is a great translation also. What do you think.

Thanks in Advance,
    Hawg

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My pastor is a KJV guy - it's what he's used for the over 40 years he's been in the ministry.

But he took my hubby's ESV home and he found it to be really good on those passages that can be tough. He'll use the NIV at times but I think he just may go to the ESV for his new main Bible. We'll see if we can find one in a larger print, in a nice leather with a single column that's not a phone book. :)

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Why not a phone book, it just might have a direct line to the Lord in it?:laugh:

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Why not try the TNIV?

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd put the ESV or Holman up against any edition of the NIV as a clearer translation of God's Word. And translations are designed to put the message of God into language the "ploughboys" can understand.

It is like using an AV1611 and then reading a NKJV. Night, then daylight.

In my church most use the NASB (not a favorite of mine, like the 1901 ASV was) because it was the translation they grew up with. It is hard to wean someone from a "beloved" translation, even if not one of the better ones.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The HCSB can be compared with the NIV favorably.But to pit the ESV against the NIV, the former would lose based on the ploughboy principle.The ESV is clear in certain spots;but it still clings to ancient phraselogy and general awkwardnessfor the most part.It is quite unlike natural English speaking.That's why I can't understand its billing as a 21st century production.It was released then;but its language is dated and cumbersome.Give me the NIV --or better yet TNIV, rather than the ESV.

7. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I have been really hard on the NIV for years but it is the translation that is in the pews of the church I Pastor. Since being called to this church early this year, (I'll have my anniversary here soon in fact), I have given the NIV a chance in study and I have come to prefer it over the ESV, which I had been using primarily since its release, largely because of John Piper's endorsement did I go to it a few years ago.

Much of the language is cumbersome in the ESV, although Crossway is putting out some REALLY well made Bibles and the ESV Study Bible appears to be a great tool...

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad that you've come around to the NIV vs. the ESV.Just try the TNIV,ok?It's even better in some passages which you probably took issue with in the past.

I'm all for the ESV Study Bible.It'll be interesting to see how it will do head-to-head with the NLTse Study Bible.

Crossway is indeed marketing their product(s) very well.

Have a happy anniversary whenever that will be.May the Lord bless your work mightily.

9. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

My church recently switched their pew Bibles from the NIV to the ESV because our new hymnals's Bible passages are in the ESV. My pastor personally prefers the NKJV. The ESV is a good translation, but it's more formal than the NIV.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I pick a translation to read through each year, and I'm considering the ESV Study Bible for '09.