1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Compatilbilistic vs Libertarian Freedom of the Will

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Jacob, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Jacob

Jacob Member

I was listening to a Christian Radio program last night and the host was contrasting these terms but I'm still not clear on what they mean.

Could someone please help define them and explain the differences?

Thanks.

Jacob

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Jacob

Jacob Member

Thanks. That did help somewhat; although it seemed more like it was written by a secular philosopher - a definition from a Christian world view perspective would be helpful.

So, do 5 pt Calvinists hold do Compatibilistic Free will or could a Calvinist hold to Libertarian Free Will? I doubt they would admit to Determinism or Fatalism. (Or would they?).

Jacob

[ December 20, 2002, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Jacob ]

4. russell55

russell55 New Member

Most Calvinists hold to compatiblism--God's sovereignty over men's choices and men's free choices coexist.

Hypercalvinists are not compatibilists, nor are Arminians, but hypercalvinists are determinists, while Arminians are libertarian.

5. Sularis

Sularis Member

Thats a very good link

Id be careful Russel - a lot of discussion on this board leads me to believe that there is nary a Calvinist on this board that isn't "HYPER"

Id think Id go semi-compatiblism

6. Jacob

Jacob Member

Initially I was somewhat confused when some of the Calvinists on this board said they believed in Free Will. I'd never heard that before from a Calvinist. Now I understand that the term carries a much different meaning for a Calvinst than it does for a non-Calvinist.

Jacob.