1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Competition with Prosthetic Devices During the Olympics

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Benjamin, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/double-amputee-pistorius-set-run-olympics-16712364

I am a huge proponent of the development of prosthetic devices to replace lost limbs. But should the users of these devices be allowed to compete against natural able-bodied athletes?

I’ll say this: I like the awareness it brings to these devices and it is an exciting and motivating adventure for those who wish to compete against natural able-bodied athletes. But the devoted athlete with natural limbs must now go up against mechanical devices?

There is obviously the question of many unfair advantages being freely given to those who use these devices.

As technology advances I suspect it will become clear in the near future that the users of prosthetic devices can dominate the field. What then?

If such completion is allowed is to take place, and up until the point in time it becomes more apparent of the need to recognize that these differences should be categorized I think top athletes would be deeply resentful of having to give up their Olympic metal to someone who had an unfair advantage.

I just wonder how long it will take to separate the athletes according to their types of movement structures being natural or mechanical. I also feel for those who have to sacrifice all their hard work and give way to a loss to someone with an unfair advantage?

Personally, I think it better these questions should be addressed now, before these problems arise. I think it currently often boils down to an argument involving of accusations of discrimination when one is against letting those with prosthetic devices compete in open competition.

For now, I thinking, fine let them run, BUT in fairness the first time one of the users of prosthetic devices takes away a metal from a natural able-bodied athlete these issues will have to/should be addressed in a more fair way. It will be interesting to see how things develop because of the current decision to allow thise type of open competition in the Olympics.