1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Comprimise, Convictions?????

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by baptisttg, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Paid,
    Every single post I go to YOU have to be the brainiac!! What is up with you?

You need to remember that with all your intellegence and assumed education, God gave you these abilities and opportunities for your extensive education. There is no room for you to boast so why don't you settle down and stop rolling over people. If you are too smart to discuss regular issues with the Body of Christ in a meaningful way instead of always in the attack mode, then why don't you try a Mensa site or something a little more on your level.

You are an irritant and prohibit constructive discussion!

2. kennethc

kennethc New Member

I have met few 'writers' or english majors who could even remotely tolerate 'regular' english on 'regular issues'. The see everyone elses writing or speech as something they need to grade or correct. I do not have a Queen, and could care less about her english. [​IMG]

I guess that is why I admire "Dr." Bob, his education does not put him so high he cannot talk to me to at my own level...

... you know, like God did when he came to talk to us lowly sinners in our own everyday language.

Did he ever really answer the question BTW?

I am ex-military. I would die for God, country, and family - and almost have - a few times (in each catagory). I would not die for my language however, it is only a tool, like a car. If you understood this post, it did its job. There are several posts here I do not understand, so those who posted did not use the tool correctly.

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Does this bother you? What is it to you? Are you jealous? Are you itching to put me in my place? Your post seems to be a typical knee-jerk jealous reaction even though I cannot see why you would be jealous of anything that I've done. Somehow I have irritated you without intending to. Take it easy and enjoy the board.
    So, why are you more interested in discussing me than ideas? Do you understand the difference between people and issues?

Someone aptly said:
    Small minds talk about people,
    average minds talk about events,
    but great minds talk about ideas.

I enjoy debating ideas. It makes me think and I try to stand valiant for truth.

BTW, I have never said that I was brainy or educated. Only once did I refer to my qualifications when someone questioned them. I simply told the areas I have studied. So, what makes you think I am brainy or particularly well educated. Yes, I did attend college as have a good number of others on this board. I have never mentioned or boasted of my degrees.

I am very laid back about myself. My mother taught me to never forget my origins. I haven't.

So, you're grasping at straws, buddy. Take the challenge, do your homework, and blast my posts out of the water but don't question my character, patriotism, sanity, orthodoxy, or integrity.

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Too bad that you're not married! I recommend it for everyone. It's wonderful.
    Dr. Bob is a good communicator in a few words. However, I do try to put the hay down where the cows can get. I put in the hayrack, not on the barn floor where they walk on it. You put good for nothing wheat straw on the floor. But, the cows do have to raise their heads to pull down the hay. It does take a little effort.
    Yeah, but they really didn't hear and understand Jesus because they were dull of hearing. That's what Jesus said.
    Would you publically repudiate God to save your life?

Would you publically repudiate believers' baptism by immersion to save your life?

Let's take a real example. Suppose you were a teacher at XYZ High School when two shooters came in the classroom with guns. They say that they're going to kill all the Christians. What would you say when they asked you? This happened at Columbine.

How do you know that you wouldn't blink and rationalize it away? My family needs me--God expects me to take care of them--I can be a witness for Christ if I am alive but not if I am dead--I must remain alive and protect these students--God needs me--my family needs me--God wants me to stay alive...........

How do you know until you are there?
    Peter denied Christ....the other disciples fled...Judas betrayed Him.....martyrs recanted and were strangled at the stake....pastors cooperated with the Nazis....so, how doe you know?

5. kennethc

kennethc New Member

I will not go into detail, this isn't a cop out, but I am a disabled ex-military member, to state that again. I have had the opportunities you discussed, and always rested faithful in the knowledge my Father would provide, and that I have about 500k in life insurance.

More than once are the opportunities my wife has almost had to collect.

You?

6. kennethc

kennethc New Member

I have made many concessions in my life, but to date, to be more specific, no, I have not denounced or hidden my being married, my country, or my God - not even under blows, by knife or gun, or other coercion.

I suppose that could change in the future, but I don't see it. My children are almost grown, my wife, well, she understands.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Standards are absolutes (doctrine/teaching) of the Bible. Black and white. You may disagree but it does not change the standard.

Examples: Bible is inspired inerrant Word of God. Jesus is God the Son. Virgin born, sinless, vicarious atonement, bodily resurrection, second coming. Black and white.

These have been attacked and maligned. Many have been rejected by liberal theology. But they are not changed and not changeable.

Women wearing slacks? Which English translation? What constitutes a valid divorce/remarriage? Those are NOT black and white. Many may support them (or not) and they are preference areas. Salvation by grace sans rite/ritual/relition? Black and white.

Simple. Hope that answers the question.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, as long as I'm here, just thought I'd let everyone know that I was harsh (see page 1) on paidagogos, assuming he was attacking my friend Dave Gibbs. We disagree, but I was more than disagreeable with paid, jabbing at him.

For that I apologized privately to him and want all to be aware that words have meaning and words matter.

9. kennethc

kennethc New Member

Agreed. Then there is also the danger of a friendly, in jest jab being taken seriously. Who can always tell your motivation in a post? [​IMG]

Me, well, I was just playin' - I assumed the previous poster was too, but maybe not. That was the reason for the joking 'razz'.

10. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I like to think that I would stand pat but Peter thought he was ready to die for the Lord too. He wasn't at that point. Human being are fickle and changeable. I, too, have stared down the business end of guns. I was angry and didn't back down. However, I have no idea of what I would do after a few months of torture. Right now, I'd say that I'd stand.

11. kennethc

kennethc New Member

It can be interesting to have a conversation without saying anything, let me be more specific...

...in a place where Americans and Christians are not liked. I have suffered abuse because I was an American, and more, because of my dog-tags (Baptist), which I didn't deny. I don't know what you are refering to, but I don't mean somebody held me up, or got mad at me at a bar (which I have also often been through) and stuck a gun in my face. These are what I call 'normal' situations (at least in my life) where you are pretty sure they guy isn't going to actually shot. I don't know if that is what you are talking about or not. I was lucky enough to be in the presence of known murders. I was convinced death would be the outcome.

However, that is the past, and people do change, and 'months of torture' affects all differently. I conceed that point. No one really knows what they would do in the most extreme situations, like that of the Donner party for instance. Would you starve to death while watching others eat? At what point would you cease to care about the source of the food? I am led to believe starvation causes physical effects on the brain - would you be physical capable of caring about your convictions? I have not been in a situation where I have been driven 'mad' with pain, and acted wholly out of self preservation (the point of torture). And I would think this point would be differenct for different people, and I agree those people probably don't even who they are.

Off topic though.

I agree, a standard is just that - a fixed measurement by which others compare. God and His Word our ours.

A conviction is a strongly held principle. How strong you hold it is not a function of will. Some may deny their convictions openly, or compromise them, while still holding them. Many Christians believe and have problems with, for instance, addictions. Do they have a lack of conviction? Or a lack of will? Or is it that they have a 'medical pre-disposition' that another Christian who overcomes does not have?

A principle is something specific you believe in strongly, but not neccesarily at the same level as a conviction. I can be swayed more easily on a principle than a 'conviction'. I may not visibly show my principles, but my convictions should dictate my actions as much as possible.

all just my .02 of course [​IMG]

12. Amity

Amity Guest

I was reading a sermon a while back by Dr. Sam Gipp [​IMG] (please read on, even if you don't like Dr. Gipp) on convictions. There are several kinds. Also, you sometimes will gain more convictions as you grow in your life of faith.

A natural conviction is something you know is wrong, just because. You may not know it's in the Bible, but you know it's wrong. Like, homosexuality. We know it's a sin, but even before you could find that in your Bible, you knew it was wrong.....or lying or murder......it's a natural conviction to abstain from such things.

For me, dressing conservatively would fall into this category. Before I knew where to pin down in the Bible where it says I should be modest in the way I dress....I already knew that I should dress appropriately and as a lady.

A Spiritual conviction is something you are convicted of by the Holy Spirit, even if you would have done something else. Like in Acts 16 when Paul wanted to go preach to the churches in Asia......and God said, nope! you're going to Macedonia. So, he went and preached in Macedonia. That's a Spiritual conviction.

A Spiritual conviction I had recently, was in my old church. The new pastor is all screwed up in doctrine. I was all prepared in my head to go off on her (yes, her) :rolleyes: and beat her over the head with my Bible and show her that there IS a Hell, you DO need to be saved to enter Heaven, we DO NOT worship the same god of the Muslims......but, when I got to her face to face.......God shut me up. I couldn't speak.....I exchanged some pleasantries about the weather, and left. God convicted me to keep my mouth shut and walk away......a battle with her would do nothing.....This pastor has 3 master's degrees......and 10 years of "preaching" under her belt. if she doesn't accept the truth by now, some 28 year old pee wee with a big ole King James Bible in her face isn't gonna do any better for her! That was a Spiritual conviction.

An intellectual conviction is something you see as right or honorable, but it's not Biblical. There's usually nothing wrong with these types of convictions, but they are personal, between you and God, and it wouldn't be considered a sin if you didn't do them. And it wouldn't be something you would discontinue fellowshipping with someone else because they don't share that conviction. For example, if you are convicted not to shop in a grocery store that sells alcohol, that would be an intellectual conviction. I am convicted to use the King James Bible in my studies. I do not stop fellowshipping with others for only the reason being that they use other versions.

A Biblical conviction is something you didn't believe, but then you read the truth in your Bible, then you believed it. That's a Biblical conviction. I'd like to share two of my recent Biblical convictions.

I grew up in a church denomination that didn't really discuss doctrine that much. Like going to a country club kind of. I knew I was missing something. Then I started reading my Bible.....REALLY reading......and now that I can't seem to put it down....I keep reading, and keep learning, and I have a new Biblical conviction that I have come to realize in the last year or so. Since I am saved, I am always saved.....I do not have to do good works to maintain my salvation, nor do I have to be born again, and again, and again, from when I was backslidden....I came running back to my Saviour's arms, but backsliding does not mean I was then condemned to hell again....for Jesus paid the price once for me.....and I only have to accept that gift once. (we do good works because we are saved, not to get saved). He will NEVER let ANYONE pluck me out of His hand!!! Amen!

My other Biblical conviction was that my infant "baptism" was not scriptural, and I was recently baptized by immersion in obedience to Jesus as an outward showing of my faith.

In Christian love.
    Amity

13. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:eek: Amity,I respect your comments above.They sound fairly reasonable and give account to the fact that God will lead and protect the child of God in what he/she should or shouldn't believe and practice.....but....I do feel led to offer one bit of advice for your protection and edification.IF the church you are going too has a woman pastor you would be best advised to find another church no matter how many degrees this woman has.The Bible doesn't give ANY woman the authority to "pastor" ANY church or usurp authority over any man.A thorough study of 1 Timothy Chapter 3 would be in your best interest.It is IMPOSSIBLE for any man....or woman to stand in the pulpit and preach the Word of God without doing it authoritatively...and that same Word of God forbids the woman from usurping authority over the man.Not trying to be sexist.....just scriptural.Back up a page or so and read 1 Timothy 2:7-15 for more on this.God bless you as you search the scriptures and may the blessed Holy Spirit lead you as you do.I know the position I just took is not necessarily popular these days but it is right according to the Word of God in plain english.The sad thing is that many times these days woman take up places they should not because the men are too wimpy to stand up and take the place God intends them to.I guess it is just another sign of the times we are living in.We have a woman teaching a mixed Adult sunday school class in our church and though she is a good,gracious woman I don't feel comfortable with that either so I don't attend that class.I personally think that is shakey ground spiritually speaking.I have discussed the matter with my pastor who told me that he grants her the authority to do it...but I have chosen not to make an issue of it even though I'm still not comfortable with it.For me...the matter of women NOT preaching/teaching IS a conviction.That is my thoughts on the subject.

God Bless You,
    Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Ummm,Greg?

Just FYI and in defense of Amity, she said her "old" church. "A Spiritual conviction I had recently, was in my old church."
    Thereby defining the fact that she is no longer there. The remainder of her comments also make clear that she is no longer of that particular denominational persuasion. Neverhtheless, I do heartily agree with your comments as to the subject.

"Jes' wann be a he'p to ye"!

In HIS service;
    Jim

15. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:rolleyes: OOOPS! Thanks Jim for correcting me on that.Amity...I apologize for not reading your post more carefully.I will stand on the advise I offered but apparently you were wise enough just based on your knowledge of God's Word to move on when you were confronted by that.God Bless You! I guess I just got a case of "tunnel vision" when I saw that "woman preacher"thing.It has always irked me....almost as much as the homosexuals trying to justify their lifestyle....but that is another thread. :rolleyes:

Greg Sr. [​IMG]

16. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

No problem Greg.
    That is one conviction I would die for. i.e. defending a woman! My wife would KILL me if it were the wrong woman! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously, the question was asked if one would die for their convictions. I am willing to die for mine. Whether I would or not, cannot be determined in advance. One must be put in that situation to know for sure. But I AM willing.

Hope that makes sense. Believers baptism? Yep. Salvation by faith alone? Yep. The pure word of God? Yep. These are basic as far as I am concerned. And if there are others I have not thought of, I am confidant that God will enable me to stand in the day of my trial.

In HIS service;
    Jim