1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Compromisers Promoted At Bob Jones University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by foxrev, Oct 13, 2004.

1. aefting

aefting New Member

[​IMG]

This is the only picture I could find on the web. Perhaps this style is not what you are talking about. [​IMG]

Andy

2. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

My daughter wanted to check out BJU this April against my better judgment. Here are the rule changes we discovered.

Students don't have to get up at 6:55 A.M. when the bell sounds if they don't have a class. [Horror- what slothfulness!]

Girls could wear athletic sweat pants when they ran [Stunned shock - what imodesty and gender bending]

Those were the only changes I could discern from my time there in the early 80s.

As usual, the students we talked with for the most part put up with the foolishness of BJU. They knew the rules were stupid, but adapted and survived, just as I did.

My duaghter, however, who has worked since 14, been an A student, and a wonderful Christian who has been exposed to freedom and thinking for herself, made the right decision. Not BJU!

They still treat their students like immature children. Any self-respecting, successful, responsible Christian high school student who isn't forced to pick their college by their parents, will almost always see the shortcomings of a BJU environment and go elsewhere. Thank God for good kids and wise parents.

Oh, one other change. I was asked not to reenroll for my last semester because I wanted to attend Dallas Theological Seminary. However, BJIV, with his father's blessing, was allowed to attend Notre Dame. Now that's hypocrisy!

However, if BJIII is really making the changes he is being accused of, I would welcome them. There may be hope for BJU yet!

3. aefting

aefting New Member

Now this type of BJU bashing is more like it! :rolleyes:

See, foxrev, it can't be as bad as you say!

Andy

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Andy,

Yea! [​IMG]

5. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

Stephen is wearing wire rimmed glasses and does not have a clearly defined part on the right side of his head. And I'm not totally sure, but that shiny gold thing over his left shoulder kind of looks like a football helmet. If those aren't three clear examples of Neo Evangelicalism, I don't know what is.

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

His glasses are clearly "modernistic." He may very well be a liberal.

7. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Andy: this is an OLD picture of Stephen. His hair is now spiked/cut short, sideburns down low and wearing low profile glasses. Yes there is nothing intrinsically evil in those things. However, it is the current "HIP" look that is a fad.

Paul 33: You have hit the nail on the head. Another aspect of the compromise advocated at BJU. BJ III said that Notre Dame is not a "Catholic Institution!" Yeah right.

If Jerry Falwells kid's had attended Notre Dame, BJ III would have launched a dozen nuclear warheads at Lynchburg, VA. It is OK for Bob Jones to do whatever they like because, after all, they are "Bob Jones University, the 'Fortress of Faith.'"

However, it is a shame you never accepted the commonly accepted lifestyle of personal separation that God calls us to. Conformity without the heart is hypocrisy.

8. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

Man, I am so far out of it. Must be getting old. Here I thought all along that long shaggy hair was evil and now I find out having it cut short is the real indicator of worldliness. Regardless, this is clearly an indication that Stephen is trying to be the next Justin Timberlake. I'm recoiling in horror right now.

You know, what's really sad here is that there are some really substantive issues that are problems for BJU, such as cooperation with charismatic Jack Hayford's Kings College and Seminary through TRACS accreditation. Unfortunately, you have managed to miss all of them. It's unfortunate that your ridiculous attacks give BJU fodder to marginalize the valid, well-reasoned critiques others offer.

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This guy has to be kidding. There is no way that he is being serious about this.

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Bob Jones U.P. has redone their homeschooling material in the last few years to include working mothers, women and girls wearing slacks, using people of all races in their stories, etc. I found nothing wrong with stay at home moms but applaud them for 'keeping up with the times' since so many women ARE working now.

Bob Jones is the only home school material that I know of that puts 50 cents of every dollar spent on their home school material into a college scholarship for my child. [​IMG]

I went to Tift Baptist Women's College, had to go to chapel or got into BIG trouble, had to wear dresses to all classes, had to clean my room and make my bed before leaving the room, couldn't date my freshman year except on weekends and the boys had to be approved.... I lived.

Diane

11. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Siegfried. Please go back to the original post I made. The mention of Stephen was a support of the lowering of standards at the University.

My first post indicated that BJU is indeed promoting New Evangelicals. In mentioning the TRACS, you have supported my original argument. Thank you!

I have not mentioned other things myself. Good night, I have been bludgeoned as it is for mentioning TWO events!

Is there more? Indeed. That is the point of my writing here. Go find them! I am not here to attack BJU. I am here to sound an alarm that something is wrong with BJ III. That something is seen by only those in close proximity to him. However, there is an allegiance that goes beyond obedience to the Bible that is demanded of the Administration by BJ III. NONE dare -in the inner circle at BJU- question BJ III's decisions!

Even close friends of the family have done so and BJ III explodes. He does not want BJU to be a conservative-fundamentalist, separatist institution anymore but rather a moderate-fundamentalist school. Please pardon that term "Fundamentalist" as BJ III says it is "onerous" and we need to replace it!

[ October 18, 2004, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: foxrev ]

12. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Originally posted by dianetavegia:
    Bob Jones is the only home school material that I know of that puts 50 cents of every dollar spent on their home school material into a college scholarship for my child.

Save your money and child. By the time your child grows up, BJU will be headed way farther to the left than it is already!

I went to Tift Baptist Women's College, had to go to chapel or got into BIG trouble, had to wear dresses to all classes, had to clean my room and make my bed before leaving the room, couldn't date my freshman year except on weekends and the boys had to be approved.... I lived.

Sounds like that is needed all the more today! Youths need more discipline now in their lives than ever before! Unfortunately, there is not a place like that today.

13. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Siegfried Says:
    You know, what's really sad here is that there are some really substantive issues that are problems for BJU, such as cooperation with charismatic Jack Hayford's Kings College and Seminary through TRACS accreditation.

BJ III says that Biblical Separation does not apply to Hayford since this is an "Education" need and not a doctrinal one. So what do we tell him then?

14. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Stated by Siegfried:
    Man, I am so far out of it. Must be getting old. Here I thought all along that long shaggy hair was evil and now I find out having it cut short is the real indicator of worldliness.

Indeed. You are making a call on something you have not seen personally.

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

foxrev,

If things are as you say concerning BJIII, I can only praise the Lord that he is seeing the light!

If you only knew how ridiculous you sound, you would . . .

BJU has a long way of moving from where they are just to become "normal" in their expression of Biblical truth. It can't happen soon enough!

16. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I only wish it were true.

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Yep, evil like the bright blue mohawk haircut, 7 or 8 earrings on the boy on row 2 every Sunday at church. :mad:

Matt. 15:10 When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them, "Hear and understand: 11 Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man." 12 Then His disciples came and said to Him, "Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?" 13 But He answered and said, "Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. 14 Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch." 15 Then Peter answered and said to Him, "Explain this parable to us." 16 So Jesus said, "Are you also still without understanding? 17 Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and is eliminated? 18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. 20 These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man."

18. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

My recommendation is that you stay out of the discussion until you choose to focus on substantive issues and not make yourself look ridiculous talking about the shape of someone's glasses. Your kind of argumentation is not helping your cause. I'm really not trying to attack you here, just hoping to help you stop sounding like a lunatic and marginalizing yourself.

19. foxrev

foxrev New Member

You both have no clue about the Holiness of God by which He has called us to live: Romans 12:1&2 make very clear that we are to present our lives DEAD TO SELF, and NOT conformed to this world! I Peter 1 makes very clear that God has called us to live a Holy life. God goes on to say that we are strangers and pilgrims in this world.

To dress like the sodomites, rock music group, and other perverts is clearly dishonoring to GOD!

Many compromisers LOVE to throw the old "Legalist" line at Christians who try to live a Holy Life inward AND outward. However, you have missed the point of the Lord Jesus! The Pharisees were indeed legalists because they believed that the outward look determined entrance into Heaven. That is legalism, Salvation by works. I am good, therefore I am going to Heaven or, I do this or that OR I do not do this or that, therefore I am going to Heaven.

Your position of saying, "well, the Bible does not say specifically that it is wrong to smoke, drink or dye my hair, so I can do it" is actually a new form of legalism! You demand a law. However, it is already given. We do not dress and look like the World. I John 2:15-17 makes clear that the desire to look like, follow after the unsaved godless crowd is a proof that the "Love of the Father is not in him." Why would any child of God who loves the Lord want to follow the world? It is not possible!

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Foxrev: I wish you were able to recognize hyperbole or satire when you see it.