1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Computer Bible Study

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Deacon, Jan 9, 2011.

?
  1. It’s the only way I study

5.0%
  2. It’s my primary way to study

45.0%
  3. It’s a big part of my study

30.0%
  4. It’s plays a minor part in my study

10.0%
  5. I generally don’t use digital bible study

10.0%
  6. Other / What's a computer?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I use it daily

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How dependent are you on the digitalized word of God?

Digital study might include:

• Computerized bible study (bible study programs)
    • Mobile web, iphone or (equivalent)
    • ipad/Kindle/Nook

Rob

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not depend on it as in it is the only thing I can do, just my situation allows me to have a netbook with me with tons of resources so why bother getting up and down looking for books :tongue3:

I don't do paper anymore :smilewinkgrin:

3. RevGKG

RevGKG Member

While I do the majority of my study electronically, I still like the feel of a book in my hand.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must admit I cannot read paper books very well, I suffered through it in school but when reading on screen came along my reading increased dramatically. I only recently began reading for pleasure. Have been doing tons of it with an ereader.

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'm fully immersed in electronic Bible study. I LOVE books and read about 3 a week, but I love my computer for Bible study even more!

Note that I prefer to READ my Bible in book form.

I currently have in the neighborhood of 1500 volumes on my hard drive, from the Fathers of the Church through the most modern theological publications. Being able to search the depth and breadth of the history of Christendom for key words, Bible verses, phrases, or topics is awesome. I can do searches that would take a trained scholar a lifetime, and report back in a few minutes, including original language work.

Just imagine searching for every verb that has the name Jesus around it within 5 words in the Greek, then studying the action surrounding Jesus. Simple search and some time spend reading and right-clicking verb forms for proper context.

One problem I see with electronic study is the age of many of the works that are readily available for low cost. People end up turning to sources that were outdated a century ago because they are free to reproduce. Like any decent scholarship, one must stay reasonably current, and that costs money even if in electronic form.

6. CF1

CF1 New Member

I use electronic when I'm running late and don't get time for devotions in the morning. I jump on during my lunch break (which varies in time of day from day to day) and I have devotions on line with ESV Online.org It's a great resource!

7. billwald

billwald New Member