1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Computer Help Needed

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by jch-singer, Jul 17, 2006.

1. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

Has anyone ever heard a computer make a noise like when you turn on or off the TV, and then every thing will ice over and you have to hold the button in on the computer just to get it to go off?:type:

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Where exactly is the noise coming from?
    My speakers make noise on my computer when I get a cell phone call.
    But the computer locking up is another thing. What OS are you running? WHat model of computer etc?

3. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

The noise is comeing from the computer it's self, not the speakers or anything. And if I turn it off and then turn it back on then it will not give me the windows is starting up and loading thing that I get every time I turn it on, as you can tell I know very little about computers.:laugh::laugh: :laugh:

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

But does it start up after that point?

This is sweird problem.

I assume from your post you use Windows, but do you know what version?
    98, ME or XP perhaps?

5. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

I think we have Windows 98, and if I keep trying to turn it back on then sometimes it will come back on but then it does it again.:type:

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume that the sound you speak of is the frying sound that the tv makes when the high voltage comes to the picture tube.

A frying noise and your description of the switch problem would possibly indicate that the switch or one of the power connections or the power supply has a loose connection and you are hearing some arching.

If this is the case it would probably be best if you don't use it, and be sure to unplug it. Loose connections where arching is happening can cause fires.

If it isn't that frying sound if you could give us more information it would be good.

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Ice over? Hmmm... you've provided a nice challenge to try and diagnose what the problem is.

Dale had a couple of good, basic questions.

But, let's turn those around and start at the basics. What make and model of computer do you have? Is it an HP, Compaq, Dell, other? If you are completely unsure about what OS you're using, try these steps to determine it.

1. Click Start
    2. Click Settings
    3. Click Control Panel
    4. Double-click System

Somewhere around the top right hand part of the resulting window, you should see the OS you're running, i.e. Windows 95, Windows 98, etc.

BTW, if you have to hold the on/off button in order to turn the computer off, that is probably by design. Newer computers have this feature so that you don't accidentally bump the button and turn the computer off. Sometimes, Windows has a problem restarting after abruptly losing power. You don't want to make Windows more unstable than it already is. :smilewinkgrin: