1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Computer Virus Alert

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Barnabas H., Jan 27, 2004.

1. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The virus--known as MyDoom, Novarg and as a variant of the Mimail virus by different antivirus companies--arrives in an in-box with one of several different random subject lines, such as "Mail Delivery System," "Test" or "Mail Transaction Failed." The body of the e-mail contains an executable file and a statement such as: "The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary attachment."

Read more: http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-5147605.html?tag=nefd_lede

2. Pete

Pete New Member

Had it turn up in my inbox twice tonight. Anti-virus program caught it easily enough.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I got 8 last night! I also got a Hi My Sweet Nancy.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

gotone copy that I killed in Mailwasher.

Had to look for an update - McAfee didn't send me an update automatically.

5. David Mark

David Mark New Member

I really like my DELETE key.

Poof, bye bye, see ya later, nice try, you're outta here and so on and so forth.

:D :D :D :D :D

Dave.

6. BM

BM New Member

Oh me oh my Barnabas, :( I think I just opened up one of those e-mails today. should always go to the Baptist Board first thing huh? Any ideas on what to do now or what will happen to me :rolleyes:

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

MyDoom sedns out e-mails to people in your Outlook or Outlook express address book. It also may be used to give hackers access to your files. If you do not have anti-virus software now is the time to get it. It will remove the virus.

8. BM

BM New Member

Thanks for your advice,I don't have anti-virus software, but your right I do need to get it. Also I didn't open any attachment so maybe I will be o.k. I am so new to all this computer stuff, but learning.

9. Lil Sister

Lil Sister New Member

UGH! We got that nasty thing & it grabbed hold of our computer faster than you can say "Jack Robinson"! My husband wrestled with it yesterday & today (it "came back" on us); and we are hoping & praying it's gone.
    However! We just got some e-mail back because it had a virus attached, and 3 e-mail that our group wouldn't allow in because they had virus' attached!
    I hope no one thinks I'm nuts (wouldn't be the first time, anyway), but I'm praying for the Lord's help, wisdom and protection for our computer. We use it for ministry & work...so for us it's far more than a "toy".

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Lil Sister,

It fine that you are praying for wisdom, but there are a couple of things you can do.

NEVER open an attachment unless you are CERTAIN about what it is, even if you know who it is from.

Download an email screener like Mailwasher which lets you look at all your emails before they are downloaded to your computer. You can delete them there if you see a suspicious attachment.

Get a good anti-virus software and update it weekly.

11. Lil Sister

Lil Sister New Member

God answers prayer for wisdom through our brethren, too! ;) In praying for wisdom, I meant being wise enough to realize when something is a scam (SPAM e-mail w/ worms attached, for instance); not some mystical gnostic knowledge coming on us! :eek:
    Yes, we have a virus protection, and, except for the first one that caught us by surprise (and infected our computer), have been deleting the messages that carry it--both from our mailbox & even from our deleted box!
    You'd think these people had something better to do with their time, than cause a lot of people trouble.