1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Concealed Carry

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by superdave, Aug 24, 2005.

1. superdave

superdave New Member

Anyone fellow boarders out there with a license for handgun concealed carry? A bunch of states have this. I am going to be taking the classes and getting a permit to carry next month.

I have a Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub-compact in S&W 40 cal. Very concealable, but a sweet handgun with lots of features and very well made. Beats the pants off the Glock's I have fired and has much more solid metal internal components for about $150 less.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

We ahve that here, but neither of us have a l;icense, my husbad only owns a20 gague shotgun, and a something (lol)riffle. I ahven't shot a gun since I was a kid when dad showed us how to shoot his, and I don't even remember what it was.

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've had one before in Georgia.

Took the training in Montana.

We have concealed carry here in Missouri but I just haven't wanted to retake the course in order to get a permit.

We also have a vehicle carry law which allows us to carry a loaded handgun in the passenger area of the vehicle so that takes care of a lot of us.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have one as a former cop. Sometimes I pack; usually I don't.

5. west

west New Member

I have had one for over 30 years .I never carry a gun other then the woods .The reason I got one way back then and keep it up is .I go for hikes alot and carry something .I have been carrying a Taurus Model 85 Ultra Lite 2 in BB .38 sp .I have carried over the years so many different ones but carring that one now .I have 44 mag's and 357's and 22's etc...I my be getting a SP IOI Ruger with a 2 in bb in a 357 pretty soon and will carry that sometimes in the woods .The older I get the lighter the guns .That Taurus is a pretty nice little gun !

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife & I both took the course for CC in S.C., but neither of us have actually carried.

I wanted the permit simply for the possibility that I may want to carry at sometime in the future, and I'd be prepared.

I have a Taurus .45, Colt .38, Colt .32, and a Hi-standard .22!

I honestly think that if I decided to actually carry, I'd get something along the line of a Keltec 380, or 9MM primarily for the physical size, although I have considered the smaller Taurus .357's.

For my wife it would probably be the Keltec .32 or the 380

Hear, hear!!!

7. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I have my own as well. I used to "pack" when we lived in Alabama, but never got the license in MS. We can carry a loaded weapon in our veicles as well.

8. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I have a ccl. And I carry as often as I can. I am an ex-police officer, and I actually had to shoot in self defense and the defense of my fellow officers when I was on the job.

Yesterday, two wal-mart employees were shot dead in the parking lot in Arazona, and today there was another incident at a wal-mart in Albaqurque NM. When I was a cop, a soldier entered a restraurant and killed several people. One minute they were having a nice meal, the next they were dead.

My point, if you have a ccl carry when you can. But only if you are proficient with your weapon. You never know when you will wish you had carried.

I recomend 40s&w. The man I had to shoot, I shot right in the chest with a 38+p, and altough he gave up at that point, I think the purp could have still shot us with his shotgun if he had had the desire. 40cal is as small as I am willing to go.

9. steveo

steveo New Member

I'm thinking about it too.
    I have never owned a hand gun, so I would have to figure out what to Get ;)

10. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Just By coincidence. In the news.

The incident that I mentioned happened in Albaqurque at a Wal-Mart yesterday, involved a man with a ccl. An estranged husband began to stabb his ex in Wal-Mart. The citize with the ccl, pulled his weapon and fired on the assailent killing him and ending the stabbing. The woman is in criticle conditoin.

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had to shoot once in my police career, at a holdup man who came out the back door of a store when officers entered the front. He fired at me and another officer; we were behind some steel dumpsters. I returned fire, hitting him in the right hip from about 30 feet, breaking it. The impact made him fall, but he still had his roscoe, but at that time, other officers came around the corner carrying rifles, & the perp decided it was the better part of valor to take his chances in court. He never made it to court, he died because he didn't take care of his wound in jail & he developed septicemia.

I later found his robbery had been stymied by the store owner who pulled a gat, which he tried to fire with the safety on, and the surprised robber fled to the stock room & stayed till the police arrived, thinking they'd all come through the front door & he could simply waltz out the back door. I reckon he waited for the fuzz to arrive, thinking they wouldn't cover the rear...I dunno..he wouldn't tell anyone & took the secret to the grave.

People, take the advice of this former cop...IF YOU'RE GONNA PACK, MAKE SURE YOU'RE PROFICIENT WITH YOUR HEAT! Practice at least once a month, and know the workings of your piece forward & backward. TAKE AN APPROVED HANDGUN COURSE! This helps prevent accidental shootings, and promotes success rates if ya DO hafta shoot someone.

12. steveo

steveo New Member

By the way, are pastors allowed to have a gun at church in an instance where they are by themselves at night?

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Wyoming, one may carry a handgun (even into a bank or jewelry store) as long as it is NOT concealed.

Take it back - schools get really uptight when I walk in with my .577 Enfield rifle or .44 Colt pistol to give Civil War demonstrations to history classes . . . :rolleyes:

14. superdave

superdave New Member

In MI, anyone who has a CCW can carry in a Church facility as long as they have the approval of the Senior Pastor. That I assume means the senior pastor can approve himself? I believe you are supposed to have a letter on church letterhead.

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, Dr.Bob...If ya could git ahold of one'a dem BRASS NAPOLEONS & wheel it into the school yard...