1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Concerns of a former charismatic

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Emily, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Tam,

You have a real problem here with this prayer language theology. Especially if you are going to use Romans 8:26--It says the Spirit intercedes--It does not say He gives us the words. It says "with groanings that CANNOT be uttered". If it cannot be uttered then it cannot be uttered.

If one chooses to use a "prayer language" that is their perogative, but don't misuse Scripture to validate this clearly modern Pentecostal/Charismatic practice.
    Keep in in context, or it means nothing.

Bro Tony

2. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Bro Tony,

You are free to interpret that scripture any way that you feel is correct. And I have a right to do the same.

When we get to heaven, it probably won't be important anyway.

Tam

3. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Tam,

You are correct that we are free to interpret Scripture anyway we want. That is not really the issue. In proper biblical interpretation context is vital. The Scripture does not say what I want it to say or what you want it to say--It says what it says.

Your approach allows for anything and everything because context does not matter you are able to make the Scripture say whatever you want--thus making it no scripture at all. I would encourage you to read and consider 2 Peter 1:20, but then if context means nothing to you why bother. You can just write your own scripture.

Bro Tony

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If we are free to interpret the Scripture whatever we want then:
    1. we are free to denty the literal resurrection such as the J.W.'s do, saying it is in spirit only.
    2. We are free to proclaim "God is Dead," by accepting a "God is Dead," theology proclaimed by Bishop Sheen (I believe he is an Anglican).
    3. We are free to allegorize any part of the Bible we wish to allow it make anything we want to.

But is that our goal. If we really believe the Bible as we say we do, then we will endeavour to find out what the truth of the Bible is, and obey it. This is not a "my interpretation/your interpretation issue. It is what does the Bible say on this subject? Are you willing to be obedient to the Scriptures where the Scriptures are clear. We are not talking of a debatable issue like what half of the tribulation period will the two winesses of Revelation 11 be prophesying? This is a serious issue with dire consequences. It is not a simple matter of slouging it of and saying, "well that it is your interpretation." That is inexcusable.
    DHK

5. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

Bro Tony and DHK,

Sometimes I think we are speaking two different languages even though we all are talking english.

The scripture clearly says what it says. It doesn't day anything except the words it says.

"God will never use that scripture in any other way to show anything else."

I don't think it matters what I say, because you must have the last word, because I don't see it like you do. And also because I am a woman, then at least in the eyes of DHK I must be wrong.

Working for Jesus,

Tam,

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

I am going to be taking a little R&R & TLC on April 7th. I will be gone for anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks.

During that time, you can get your guns loaded (spiritually speaking) so that when I get back, you can blow me out of the water!!! ROFLOL

I do really enjoy discussing scripture with all of you.

I will be back to give you some one to pick on
    soon.

God bless all of you.

Working for Jesus,

Tam,

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Tam,

Have a great time away. I cannot speak for DHK because I don't know him, but your being a woman has no impact on how I view your posts or your theological views. I happen to believe in this case that there is no clear Scriptural teachings concerning "prayer language" and that Rom 8:26 says nothing at all about p.l.

I am on this board to hear, discuss and sometimes debate different topics. My goal in my personal life is to be a biblical christian. I assume that is yours also. I genuinely hope you have a great time away and maybe we can deal with other issues when you return.

Bro Tony

8. atestring

atestring New Member

When We get to heaven what lots of things wil not matter but since we are not in heaven it is important to obey Jude 20 building up ourselves in our most holy faith praying in the Holy Ghost.
    This is very similar to 1 Corinthians that says I will pray in the Spirit and with my understanding also ( there seems to be a distinction) I will sing
    1. in the Sirit
    2. with my understanding also

Keep Praying Tam,
    God Bless you