1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Conditional Election

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

My belief is shaped by scripture. If I were only exposed to certain Reformed proof texts and teaching, I would very likely believe just as you do.

I did not develop my beliefs from reading creeds like the Westminster Confession of Faith or Calvin's Institutes. As a young Christian I did not know better and pretty much believed what I was told. But as the years went by and I did more personal study, I noticed much scripture that did not agree with Original Sin and other common doctrine. I would study these scriptures carefully and ask God to help me understand correct doctrine. Over the years my beliefs changed.

Now, if you could show me scripture that absolutely supports Original Sin or Calvinism, I would believe it. Scripture is my authority.

That said, I have looked at the scriptures presented as proof texts for these doctrines and do not believe they support OS or Calvinism at all. You would have to come up with something new and pretty special to change my views now. I don't see it happening.

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Not even close.

Your beliefs are shaped by your misinterpretations and misapplications of Scripture.

You've been shown these things incessantly and yet continue upon your unsustainable path.

#142 preacher4truth, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2013
  3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By your understanding thereof. No one is disputing that. What is being disputed is the role your will plays therein.

You could no sooner believe other than you do than you could believe in Santa Claus. You either understand and believe what you hear, or you do not.

Your will is not free.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

The lost are under the spirit of bondage, yet some who claim salvation claim this isn't so, and that their will was free.

Not to mention they were also allegedly, according to their own testimony, which is contrary to His, not of those mentioned in Romans 3, and were instead seeking God, doing good &c.

Yeah sure. Something is amiss.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

I believed differently in the past, because I had been taught to believe a certain way. Later, when I knew more of the scriptures I changed my belief.

My will is to understand scripture for what it says. If it was my will to maintain a particular theology, I could choose to reject scripture that refutes it. You should understand exactly what I am saying.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your belief was changed, yes, but you didn't change it.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Believe whatever you want.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Although we agree on sovereignty and grace, that high theological perch you are sitting on is called pride. You act like you have the ability to see inside Winman and how the Lord is working in his life. He is a child of God like the rest of us, and because he does not agree with you does not have one thing to do with that fact. Each of us is a work in the making by the Holy Spirit.

#148 saturneptune, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Speaking of Santa Claus, why don't you get rid of that avatar.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's your motto, yes, but it's a false one.

Truth is self-existing and self-evident. It is perceived, not decided. It's like saying you decided that the sky is blue.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know water is wet and fire will burn, and that's what is being discussed.

Don't you have some marbles to stack somewhere?

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, I will stack them if you will take them and play a game or two in the intersection. As far as your perch goes, pride comes before a fall.