1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Condoms replacing Bibles in hotel rooms

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Magnetic Poles, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe New Member

Condoms aren't bad just because some people use them for premarital sex. It's good to show kids what they are, and how to use them properly. This is what we did with our son, he is now 16. I also blew some up, and we played with them hitting these large colorful balloons back and fourth across the room.

#21 Joe, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2007
  2. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I would avoid hotels anyway because of all the bedbug hype...

3. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

on the argument though...a kid would most likely find a condom laying around the streets or even the grounds of the public school/playground he walks on before he learns what they are in a cornerstore...that's how I found out at least...

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

You know, any child old enough to know what is in the box already knows what they are. Besides, sexuality is not something to avoid talking about with your kids. Natural teaching moment occur. Perhaps this could be something that is one of those moments. I don't believe in the "wait until they hit puberty, and THINK they know it all, then dump a load of info on them" method. I rather prefer give then information as they grow up at a level they can understand. This embarrassment over a natural part of God's creation is nuts.

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Sexual topics are adult topics and rob children of their inocence if given to early. It is abusive to expose children to sexual issues to early.

6. readmore

readmore New Member

Kids will learn it somewhere, whether you teach them or not. If their only education is what other kids at school tell them, or what they see from TV and movies, they will have a warped view of the topic, at best. Better the parent doles out age appropriate education throughout the child's life and imparts a God-honoring view of the gift that God gave them.

7. Magnetic Poles

What "innocence" are you robbing them of? What is abusive about children knowing on an age-appropriate level, about reproduction? Bet they know a lot more than you give credit for. I also repeat...any person old enough to ask about the box on the counter is old enough to get a proper answer. The "innocent" very young ones won't notice and won't care.

I guess your pastor shouldn't preach on marital relationships either, as kids might hear.

And people wonder why teens get pregnant! Ignorance is not innocence.

#27 Magnetic Poles, Nov 22, 2007
  8. Magnetic Poles

Amen Brother!

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

When I saw the opening post and who the originator was I was immediately suspicious. The first thing that I thought of was:

[​IMG]

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I am the Pastor. And when I preach on issues such as these children are not in the sanctuary.

"Kids will learn it somewhere" "Kids will have sex" Both are used as axcuses by the liberal left to indoctrinate our children way to early about adult issues. With all the "education" liberals forcve on our children teeen pregnancy is on the rise not the other way around. All this does is serve to peak a larger intrest on the subject. this is abuse of our children.

11. Magnetic Poles

Now, why are you calling me a troll, brother? It is a legitimate story from Newsweek? You have some axe to grind with me??

I always participate and post legitimate news and views. You can disagree with me, but seriously, name calling is beneath you (I think). :rolleyes:

#31 Magnetic Poles, Nov 22, 2007
  12. Magnetic Poles

Well Pastor, you need some facts. Teen pregnancy rates are NOT rising...they have been steadily DECLINING. Guess those dang "liberal" are doing some good.

From CLICK HERE

The web page also cites sources for all footnotes.
    -----
    Adolescent Pregnancy and Childbearing in the United States

Also available in [PDF] format.

Since 1991, U.S. teenage pregnancy, abortion, and birth rates have declined steadily in every age and racial/ethnic group.[1,2,3] Teenage birth rates declined in every state as well as in the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands.[4] Research indicates that sexually active teens are becoming more effective users of contraception and that more teens are choosing to remain abstinent during early and middle adolescence.[5] Nevertheless, the United States continues to have higher rates of teen pregnancy, birth, and abortion than other industrialized nations.[6,7] Teens ages 18 and 19 account for as much as 66 percent of U.S. teen births.[8] Most teenage mothers come from socially and/or economically disadvantaged backgrounds; adolescent motherhood often compounds this disadvantage.[9,10]
    Teen Pregnancy Rates Decreased among Sexually Active Teens.

• Each year, approximately 750,000 to 850,000 teenage women in the United States experience pregnancy.[10,11] Seventy-four to 95 percent of teen pregnancies are unintended.[12,13]
    • In 1999, the estimated U.S. teen pregnancy rate was 87 pregnancies per 1,000 females ages 15 to 19—a drop of 25 percent from the 1990 rate of 116.[14,15] [Note: 1999 is the most recent year for which published pregnancy data is available.]
    • Some researchers attribute 75 percent of the decline in U.S. teen pregnancy rates to better contraceptive use among sexually experienced teens and 25 percent of the decrease to increased abstinence; others credit the two factors about equally.[5,15]
    Teen Birth Rates Fell among Teens in All Age Groups.

• Among all teens ages 15 to 19, the U.S. birth rate declined by 30 percent between 1991 and 2002, from 62 per 1,000 women in 1991 to a record low of 43 in 2002.[16]
    • By comparison, the birth rate in France was 10 per 1,000 women ages 15 to 19; in Canada, it was 25; and in Britain, 28.[6] [Data are the most recent available.]
    • Among youth under age 15, the U.S. birth rate declined by 50 percent, from 1.4 per 1,000 women in 1991 to 0.7 in 2002.[2,16]
    • Among teens ages 15 to 17, the U.S. birth rate declined 40 percent from 39 per 1,000 in 1991 to 23 in 2002.[16]
    • Among teens ages 18 to 19, the U.S. birth rate declined 23 percent from 94 per 1,000 in 1991 to 73 in 2002.[16]
    • The number of children born to U.S. teens also decreased between 1991 and 2002. Women under age 20 had 532,000 births in 1991[2] compared to 432,000 births in 2002,[16] a 19 percent decline.
    Teen Birth Rates Fell among Teens in All Racial/Ethnic Groups.

• Between 1991 and 2002, U.S. birth rates among 15- to 19-year-old women declined in all racial/ethnic groups, although rates for African American and Hispanic teens continued to be higher than the rates for other groups.[2,16]
    • African Americans ages 15 to 19 experienced the steepest decline in birth rates—42 percent—from 118 per 1,000 women in 1991 to 68 in 2002. Among African Americans ages 15 to 17, birth rates dropped by 52 percent between 1991 and 2002.[16]
    • The birth rate for native American teens ages 15 to 19 dropped 36 percent from 84 per 1,000 women in 1991 to 54 in 2002.[16]
    • Among non-Hispanic white women ages 15 to 19, the birth rate declined 34 percent from 43 per 1,000 women in 1991 to 29 in 2002.[16]
    • The birth rate for Asian or Pacific Islander teens ages 15 to 19 dropped 33 percent from 27 per 1,000 women in 1991 to 18 in 2002.[16]
    • The birth rate for Hispanic teens ages 15 to 19 declined 20 percent from 105 per 1,000 women in 1991 to 83 in 2002.[16]
    The Teen Abortion Rate also Fell.

• Each year since 1992, teens accounted for 20 percent or less of all abortions in the United States.[3,16]
    • Since the late 1980s, the proportion of teen pregnancies ending in abortion has steadily declined. In 1999, 28 percent of pregnancies among 15- to 19-year-olds ended in abortion, down from 40 percent in 1990.[9,14]
    • Among 15- to 19-year-old females, the abortion rate declined by 39 percent between 1990 and 1999, from 38 per 1,000 women to 25.[14]
    • The decline in U.S. teenage abortion rates partly reflects declining pregnancy rates. It may also reflect restrictive abortion laws, limited availability and accessibility of abortion providers, and decreased public funding.[17]
    • Between 1989 and 1995, less than one percent of babies born to never-married U.S. women were relinquished for adoption.[18]

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Keep in mind the biblical age of womanhood/manhood. It is our modern viewpoint who hopes a child wait until later in life. Heck, until recent times, the south had a different standard then the rest of us.

I have often pondered why God has puberty happen so early in life then I realized in some culters to include biblical, what we call a child is considered a man or woman. This makes the term "teen pregnancy" and association of the word "abuse" an opinion doesn't it?

However, so my comments are not taken out of text, none of this replaces waiting until marriage.

14. Magnetic Poles

Excellent points, Le Buick. Humans reach physical maturity much earlier than modern western civilization deems them to be adults. They have the same desires and drives and adults. Therefore it puts adolescents in a difficult position. They deserve education, support, and love...not condemnation and shame.

15. Joe

Joe New Member

It depends upon the child. We waited until age 15, but we also knew where our son was at each moment. We don't watch anything except pre-screened movies, and he hardly goes to anyone else's home unless they are good friends of ours. Never went to camps, or overnights. We do not patronize or go anywhere where alcohol is served. We are very protective. He was not ready prior, and it would have been wrong to teach him about sexual matters otherwise. I also had to be on it at school to prevent them from teaching those so called sex education classes, and the homosexual agenda.

He is 16, get's great grades, and works at a department store. No girlfriends yet, but he is pretty social. There is something to be said for not pushing sexual matters onto kids, even waiting past puberty. Yet with other kids, well, it is different. When they have a family who cares and watches out for them, it should be normal to wait until they are much older.

#35 Joe, Nov 22, 2007
  16. Magnetic Poles

Despite all that, he knows more than you think. Kids talk. Kids explore the changes happening within them. IMO, 16 is way way too late.

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Joe = Don't you think the body itself presented your son questions? Dreams, waking up noticing himself, sudden interest in the other sex etc... It seems you can let your son answer these questions on his own, learn from friends or you can make sure he has correct facts. It seems a bit naive to believe you can stop or delay somethng that is natural.

I'm not gunning at ya but it seems a bit dangerous and irresponsible to have someone out there with a "loaded cannon" and no education on safety and proper use.

18. Joe

Joe New Member

Le Buick,

We talked about the changes regarding puberty before it happened to him. But I don't think explaining the nitty gritty details of how to put a condom on was done until last year (he was 15). I only had a few condoms then he tells me he has extras :eek: So it was too late possibly, but then again, it was perfect since he hadn't used them yet. I was so disappointed he bought them but couldn't show it. He still has them, none have been used. Thank God. I see your and MP's point, I could have been too late.
    I say 14 1/2 years old seems about perfect to get into the real nitty gritty for most kids

#38 Joe, Nov 22, 2007
  19. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I agree. Liberal excuses.

We are to teach them abstinence until marriage.

20. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

No Timmy, you aren't "The pastor." You are a pastor who ministers to a local congregation. You don't decide what others, outside of your sphere of influence do or say or who they say it to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.