1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confessions of a Ron Paul Junkie

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, May 25, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Umm...I wouldn't call it "real good." It's long and tedious. I actually like Ron Paul, but this video was somewhat annoying.

Take off the rose-colored glasses, good sir! :)

3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So they trot out a pretty air head, to say nothing, and to castigate Rush, Hannity, et al. Not only not good, but not good at all.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    She is pretty. She is smart. She said similar things about Limbaugh and Hannity that I have said on the local radio talk show. Her video is good. Her video is REAL GOOD.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is either idiotic or disingenuous or supports one of the political pygmies running against Ron Paul for the GOP nomination or some other presidential candidate.

I don't see any evidence that "they" had anything to do with this. It isn't even on the Ron Paul website. You must be confusing Ron Paul with one of the political pygmies he is running against for the GOP nomination. They are the ones who trot people out and think that they passes for substantive policy proclamations.

Believe me, hillclimber1, you have no business calling anyone else an airhead.

#4 KenH, May 26, 2007
    Last edited: May 26, 2007
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baloney. It's not even five minutes long. And it's the most entertaining video I have ever seen on YouTube.

But my thinking on politics hasn't been corrupted by the mainstream conservative media such as Limbaugh, Hannity, and Ingraham.

6. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

OK Ken. I am what I am, and will live with it. Comfortably

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I have to agree with Stefan. The "bubbly blonde" routine was obviously put on. "Like, um, Ron Paul's like a drug, or some junk?" I kinda wanted to reach in and slap her.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really don't understand this attitude toward nice looking women that any time they discuss something serious that they get called airheads or bubbly or some other put down.

I think that some of you need to examine your hearts and make sure that you are not infected with a strain of misogyny. I am not saying you are misogynic but, man, some of you need to learn to give your fellow human beings the benefit of the doubt once in a while.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's showing people how to be a Christian, James. Congratulations.

Yeah, we don't want anyone making videos where they proclaim that they are proud to an American, proud of the constitution, proud of the American way of life, etc.

10. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

To be very good, perhaps put someone in the video with some factual information, not just platitudes and a "Look, I'm cute and see how I can enunciate clearly, yet say nothing, and stab the only voices left that represent conservative values".

A poorly conceived and executed campaign spot.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Point out the things that Rachel stated that aren't true.

2) Rachel said more in substance in her brief video than you have said, hillclimber1, in all of your posts in this forum combined.

3) Who? Limbaugh? Hannity? O'Reilly? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I have more conservativism in the tip of my little finger than any other those three have in their whole bodies.

4) It is isn't a Ron Paul campaign spot. And individual created it. Someone who actually cares about the United States. You can learn a lot from Rachel, hillclimber1. You should watch the video at least three times a day for the next week.

12. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Who do you believe "they" are? As I understand it, this is from her personal channel and she is expressing her individual views.

From a Christian perspective there is much I would disagree on with Ms. Mills about. However, she is an intelligent individual and is far more aware of the Constitution then many of the alleged Conservative males on this board and she's in the arena (have you run for office?) doing what she can to preserve liberty.

To call her an air head does not exhibit any thing resembling intelligence.

"Fight fair. Don't name-call, don't resort to ad-hominem remarks..." - Rachel Mills​

13. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Ok, I want see all those who have criticized this girl and do a spot on YOUTUBE and let see what kind of air head you might sound like,
    Believe it or not young girls like Rachel do talk in this fashion and are not air heads, listen to your own daughters sometimes or young girls in your Church ( I am sure that they would appreciate that you think of them as air heads). So this young lady was fortunate to be born cute and pretty so I guess in others opinions only ugly people are smart.
    This girl is the real deal and has brought forth some interesting questions about the fair and balanced and very biased conservative neocon news media.
    It is odd that both the liberal media and the conservative media do not do much coverage on this man ( Ron Paul) but not so odd when you consider that both libs and conservatives neocons have their own agenda to push and truth has no place in that agenda.

14. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She could have done it better in 2:30. The "junkie" angle wasn't that interesting to me. It felt like a television ad that dragged on too long, especially for the first couple of minutes.

Are there some good points? Yes. Could it have been presented better? Yes.

"We're freaks about the Constitution!" Come on. "Crazy about that way of life" Seriously?

The last half is far better than the first half. The references to Hannity and Limbaugh were rock-solid. She needed to be a little quicker on the sarcasm, though, because it felt a bit drawn-out.

------
    A few responses though:

1) My political thinking has not been corrupted by the newsbots. I recognize that they all have their agendas, and I sometimes openly mock them when I watch them. On other occasions, I agree with them. I vehemently disagree with them on the Ron Paul 9/11 fiasco, and I strongly oppose their frequently-belligerent posturing.

2) Just because someone doesn't think the video is "real good" doesn't mean that they are somehow politically blind or anti-Ron Paul. I like Ron Paul, but I think that this video needed some "polish." On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 6.5. It raises some significant issues, but it wasted a lot of time on the "it's like a drug!" bit. Also, her delivery needs some work. She paused too much at times, and this reduced the "punch" of the material.

There are two options for the delivery. If she is attempting to use a "ditsy" presentation for comedic effect, she needs to exaggerate a bit more to make it obvious. Otherwise, it just seems as if she is genuinely "ditsy."

If she is attempting to present more seriously, then she needs to improve her timing so that it doesn't give the impression that she is "ditsy."

I believe that this woman is intelligent, and my qualms about the video have nothing to do with her intellect. Proper delivery, though, is essential for effective video presentations.

15. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

I agree with your points StefanM but we must also remember that this lady is not a professional broadcaster and keeping that in mind it is understandable that she would talk in the manner that she is accustomed to.

16. Bro. James Reed

If I did, I would expect to be mocked as well.

I hate the way many people in my age group and younger speak. They can show a serious lack of intelligence, whether purposefully or not. She comes off as an over-privileged surfer-type. I'm not from Southern Cali, so that doesn't go over really big with me.

I don't have anything personal against her. Just as an observation, from a Ron Paul supporter such as myself, the video did not do anything to motivate me. Most of my reaction while watching was to shake my head and wonder.

I don't care if she is Miss America. She needs to drop the act, which is what it was, and stick to talking like a human being. The drug references were a little creepy as well.

True enough, but delivery has a lot to do with whether people will actually listen to you or not. If someone is speaking like a Valley girl, can we really be expected to take her seriously?

I agree. He is written off by most groups. Although, he does seem to be the new hero of Bill Maher.

The substance of what she had to say was pretty good, but getting to the facts of the matter was the hard part. Had this been an "ad" in favor of Giuliani or McCain, I think you all would be criticizing it just as we are.

17. Bro. James Reed

Oh, come on, Ken. You never thought that about the Republican mouthpieces when they're spouting off the same old neo-con lines?

I wouldn't actually hit her. I just meant she needed a little common sense "knocked" into her.

I don't care if she makes all the videos she wants about Ron Paul. I'm just saying, if I weren't already a Ron Paul supporter, this girl would have done nothing to motivate me to become one.

I think most people are put off by the whole druggie/surfer mentality she put on.

I do not believe that is the way she truly speaks. Surely, the whole thing was an act, notwithstanding the points she made about Ron Paul, of course. She should have kept the good points in and left out the "like, he's, like, a drug" speech. Very annoying.

18. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

"Like, that's just totally way out there and, like, just so un-cool and stuff."

19. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is why I would not have a problem with someone saying..."This video is really good for YouTube" or "As a non-professional, she did very well."

Out of the average YouTube videos, she gets about a 8.5.

In general (including YouTube and professionals), she gets about a 6.5.

20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....or just blanketly ignored. It's called misogyny.

I just watched this clip to see what all the fuss was about. I watched it twice looking for the goofy little airhead whose words meant nothing and who is nothing more than a mere irritant and unfit to represent the Republican party with her words.

I didn't see that particular girl. I saw, instead, an articulate young women expressing her views better than some adults I know.

I don't say that she was good because I adhere to her beliefs. I'm not a Ron Paul proponent or opponent. I honestly don't know which Republican to support.

I don't say that the clip was good because she is a girl and I am a woman. There are plenty of young women and grown women that I would like to CENSOR their words and actions and quite frankly, get into the boxing ring with. :BangHead: (Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears, Nancy Pelosi, Rosie O'Donnell....)

Well, maybe I couldn't take Rosie down, I would have the rest of them crying for their mamas in about 30 seconds! :laugh:

I simply thought she did a good job because she was organized in her thoughts, presented herself well, and made me think a little bit.

Well, HC1, first of all she is not a race horse, so "they" couldn't "trot her out" anywhere.

Secondly,.....oh forget it.

:saint:

Try as I might, James, I just couldn't see any signs of stupidity in this girl, feigned or otherwise.

She didn't remind me in the least of the Olsen twins and Jessica Simpson with their "deer in the headlight" look and their inability to carry on a conversation.

I may not have appreciated every word that came out of her mouth, but she pulled off a coherent speech.

First of all, I like Hannity. I think he does represent conservatives.. I'm not sure about about all of his values. But he doesn't speak for all conservatives.

However, Rush Limbaugh, in my humble opinion, doesn't represent the concept of "values" at all. He isn't a moral person. And I have heard him make jokes about women that are inappropriate and humiliating. He is Mr. Misogyny incarnated.

Actually, what she said was, "They say we're just Internet freaks, but maybe we're just freaks......freaks about the Constitution, freaks about......."

I listened to her the second time because of this very comment. I didn't hear the "Valley Girl" speech.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not saying that we should nominate this girl for sainthood or make her the poster child for public speaking or the mascot for the Republican party. I don't even agree with a couple of things she said.

I'm just saying that is was a very good video presentation of an amateurish young person expressing her views in an intelligent manner.

#20 Scarlett O., May 27, 2007
    Last edited: May 27, 2007