1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Conforming or Transforming? Perfection of Progression?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 8, 2015.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should we strive for spiritual perfection or spiritual progression? When Paul says, "...be not conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of our minds" what does that mean?

For me, the word transforms is in the present tense, and it indicates a progressive action that is moving us forward in the work of being sanctified, or being set apart from the flesh and the world! And that we do this not in our power, but in the p[ower of Christ, to tear down the strongholds that have hold of parts of our life! 1 Cor. 10:4, (NLT) "We use God's mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments."

So, what do you see Paul saying here? Is it possible for a believer to achieve perfection in this life? Or is that perfection something we move towards in steps as we walk toward the narrow gate?

Romans, 12:1-3 (NIV), "Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.…"

2 Corinthians 6:7 "By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness …"
    Romans 6:13 "Neither yield you your members as instruments of unrighteousness …"
    Romans 13:12 "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast …"
    Ephesians 6:13-18 "Why take to you the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand."
    1 Thessalonians 5:8 "But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate …"