1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confronting a Brother

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, Apr 6, 2007.

1. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

For the past year Baptist Board has been an incredible help to my Christian growth. I have recieved advice that literally shaped my theological foundations, I have had beliefs challenged, and then I changed. An indellable impact has been made, and I thank God for using something so small as an internet message board to further my sanctification! :godisgood:

So, I have another question, and it's a bit touchy, and I am sure I will recieve conflicting information and conflicting interpretations of the scripture that talks of this issue.

Someone is overtaken in sin, another professing Christian, what do we do? Do we confront them and expound to them their sinfulness? Do we overlook the sin? What if this person is a member of your church, does this change the situation?

This is a very pertinent topic, considering in most of our churchs there are members who live in habitiual sin and they habitually defy God. What do we do?

-Andy

2. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Hey Andy. This is a very good and relevant question. There seems to be a lack of church discipline in our church today.
    I think we need to take church discipline seriously today. I feel the whole body of believers are affected by the conduct of our membership.
    Before confronting your brother in Christ, you need to be sure of your own walk with the Lord. We need to examine the log in our own eye before telling our brother about the speck in his. This is vitally important. If we can not come to our brother who is in sin, without habitual sin in our own lives, then we need to work on our own walk first.
    Having examined ourselves, then we should approach the brother alone, privately. If he listens then all is well, if he repents. If not then take two or three witnesses. If he then does not repent, take him before your church. Matt 18
    Hope this helps you brother. Above all, love him.

3. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Thanks reformedbeliever. :)

Is there any other scriptures that talk about this process? That is, of church discipline or confronting a Christian?

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Acts 5, where Paul gigs the church for winking at an illicit relationship beween a man and his father's wife. Paul says disfellowship him, don't even associate with him.

5. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

Acts 5 is Ananias and Sapphira. I think you meant I Corinthians 5?

6. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Mat 18:15 "If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother.
    Mat 18:16 "But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED.
    Mat 18:17 "If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.
    Mat 18:18 "Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.
    Mat 18:19 "Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven.
    Mat 18:20 "For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."

Although a lot of people use this Scripture wrongly, as in two or more agreeing in prayer God will grant it. This is about confronting the erring Brother, not agreeing in Prayer. I have heard untold Preachers teach this section of Scripture as agreement in prayer.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I did and thanks for catching the mistake.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Gal. 6:1-5, "Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; [each one] looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But each one must examine his own work, and then he will have reason for boasting in regard to himself alone, and not in regard to another. For each one will bear his own load."