1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

confused about Calvin

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalm40.17, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

If the Spirit didn't "CONVICT/CONVINCE" YOU of your sins, and YOU "REPENTED", and "ASK" Jesus to save you,

You've never been saved

I'd like to know how a person can be saved and not know how it happened???????????

Many are called, the "SEED" is sowed "everywhere", but "few are chosen",

where the seed lands, "Rocks, Thorns, good ground", determine if the seed grows or not,

no effectual calling places the blame on the "SEED" being faultly for not growing.

Why am I not surprised you don't understand the parables???

It does if they are all guilty of the same crime (sin) and an offer been made to pay all the "fines".

God's no respecter of persons, we're all sinners, the pardon is offer to "ALL". (none perish)

Yep, that's why Jesus died for the sins of the "Whole world", so the "Whole world".. MIGHT BE.. saved.

When God gave the law, he become "obligated" to abide by the law, Jesus ask for a "reprieve" from the law of death for sin, but God wouldn't grant it to him.

Mt 26:39 O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me:

You really do have a lot to learn about "law".

You forgot the third option, man's "ignorant/misinterpretation" of scripture.

It doesn't work like that, you have to have "FAITH", "BELIEVE", in Jesus before God will save,

"BELIEF/UNBELIEF" will be the Justifing/condemning charges in Judgment,

"Belief", the fines been paid, "Unbelief", the fine is still owe.

Yep, that's the Debate in a "Nutshell", being "good" doesn't pay the "wages of sin", only death satisfies the requirements of the "law", being "good", keeping all the commandments, won't save.

Ro 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon

all men to condemnation;

even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon

all men unto justification

of life.

How many were made sinner, how many is the free gift offer too??

Your "rose color glasses" are affecting your "reading comprehension"??? [​IMG]

Do you have the "option" to believe, not believe what I post here, don't all people, so what makes you think no one has the "option" to believe, not believe the gospel when they hear it???

Now do you understand why, "Many are called, few are chosen"??

What was the significant of Jesus spending "two days" with the "woman at the well"??

BTW, that's a simple question.

Heb 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Is it possible that you might still be a "milk drinker", not as "wise" as you profess???
    :eek: :D [​IMG]

2. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Pervertion of scripture pure preversion. No offer was made to pay but paid in fall it was.

john.

3. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

John

all men to condemnation;

of life.

How many were made sinner, how many is the free gift offer too??

Are you debating me or the scriptures??

"ALL" is still "ALL", no matter how you "Slice it".

I did not write the above,

"believe it or not". [​IMG] [​IMG]

Your "rose color glasses" are also affecting your "reading comprehension"??? :D

4. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Made sinners we were. Free will we haven't.

Why should it be called a free gift if we were made sinners? Answer required.

Exactly. All were made sinners. Condemned by another's choice.

If I came into your classroom and took all your class mates Smarties yet give yours back to you would that be a free gift Me4Him? Yes or no?

That is a lie. No offer was made to pay for my sin but it was paid in full without my consent.

My post: Pervertion of scripture pure preversion. No offer was made to pay but paid in fall it was. Show me where I am promised that Jesus will die for my sins if I accept the offer.

Your reply is nothing to do with the point is it? Why make a point as a reply if the point is not the point? You are a deceiver.

Since he winds you into a frenzy I think I shall start using Mr Calvin's explanations. Good baptists might like to look away now. Your free will is your God. You are your God. DT 5:8 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 10 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

How much does my daughter's fetus know about his salvation due to his grandfathers faith? (I lived to see my first grandchild and I have his scan on my desktop and I am overjoyed.)
    This is why Mr Calvin believed all the saints offspring must be baptised, they are members of the body of Christ. Not might be, not will be but are members of the Body. :cool:

You give the game away mate you are relying on your feelings again. :cool:

Explain this process using scripture.

john.

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Spirit didn't "CONVICT/CONVINCE" YOU of your sins, and YOU "REPENTED", and "ASK" Jesus to save you,

You've never been saved</font>[/QUOTE]
    That is NOT a matter of debate. God has prescribed the method used for salvation. We are saved by GRACE through faith.

The question isn't if repentance and belief are necessary. The question is why do some say yes while others continue on the road to destruction... whether they've ever heard the gospel or not.

I say that those who say yes do so because God elected them then in time freed them through the miracle of spiritual resurrection/regeneration.

You apparently believe that they do so because they are somehow wiser or smarter than those who didn't accept Christ. But again, this view simply doesn't account for scripture. It contradicts the scripturally described condition of man and has no answer for why God rightly condemns those who didn't get their "equal opportunity" to believe.

They can't. Like you said, repentance and saving faith are necessary for salvation and a person never does these things without knowing it.... the question is why do they do it?

It doesn't say all are calle or that the seed is sowed everywhere. This is speaking of the gospel call IMO. And we know for a fact that the gospel was not heard by many in hell today during their natural lives.
    Yes... and you stumble all over that. It doesn't say that "few choose"... it says few are "chosen". This verse very succinctly says what I have been saying. There is a general call... but "few" are chosen or receive the effectual call.

And the seed controls none of those things nor does it control where it is placed. That is the sower's sovereign domain.

This parable is about people hearing the gospel... it does not address the sinfulness or corruption of the seed.

Quite to the contrary. You read the words then arbitrarily redefine them to mean what you want them to.

God's no respecter of persons, we're all sinners, the pardon is offer to "ALL". (none perish) </font>[/QUOTE] So you are a universalist? If you are, just say so and I'll stop dealing with you altogether.

I won't debate theology with people who don't believe the gospel... and the gospel includes the condemnation of man.

God is not a respector of persons. That's true. However if He waited on that person to demonstrate that the were good and wise enough to believe then that would make Him a respector of persons. Their salvation would be according to their own merit and not according to His grace.

When God gave the law, he become "obligated" to abide by the law, Jesus ask for a "reprieve" from the law of death for sin, but God wouldn't grant it to him.</font>[/QUOTE]There is no law that makes it unrighteous or unjust for God to condemn those who rebel in sin.

It is the law of "ME" that you are trying to apply here... not the Law of God.

Apparently you do since you think it is unjust to condemn the guilty... but you also have something to learn about grace since you think it is something people deserve a shot at.

You forgot the third option, man's "ignorant/misinterpretation" of scripture.</font>[/QUOTE] No. That was covered in the fact that your statement was unbiblical and blasphemous.

It doesn't work like that, you have to have "FAITH", "BELIEVE", in Jesus before God will save, </font>[/QUOTE] And you must be elect and regenerated before you will have faith or believe.

IOW's if YOUR sovereign human choice deserves God's respect then you merit salvation... but if you aren't as good as those and choose poorly then you go to hell.

You have made God's plan and sovereignty the slave to man's goodness.

Yep, that's the Debate in a "Nutshell", being "good" doesn't pay the "wages of sin", only death satisfies the requirements of the "law", being "good", keeping all the commandments, won't save. </font>[/QUOTE] Who is good according to you? I know who is good according to Romans 3.

all men to condemnation;

of life.

How many were made sinner, how many is the free gift offer too??</font>[/QUOTE]
    All you have done here is show your willingness to strip scripture out of the context of the whole of scripture. The result is that you make scripture conflict with scripture rather than accepting what both scriptures say and adjusting your beliefs accordingly.

Once again, if your argument has any merit then it teaches universalism. However, if you recognize that the free gift is not applied to "all men" then you still have to answer the question why some do and some don't...

Your answer is man's goodness determines it. My answer is that God's goodness determines it.

Yes. Yes. I didn't say that no one has the "option" to believe... and....

All sinful, carnal, dead in sin men reject the gospel when they hear it. That's their nature. The freely do so. God doesn't "force" them to... they want to.

OTOH, choosing the "option" to believe is contingent upon God first changing one's nature from death to life.

Yes but you apparently don't. Called still means called and chosen still means chosen. All of your blather didn't change the definitions of the words nor the fact that the Holy Spirit gave us those revelations.

You answer it first... as well as the other questions you have cowardly evaded then I will answer more of your questions.

The funny thing is that you seem to instinctively know that your answers will not hold up to scripture or scrutiny... but rather than change them you attack me, Johnp, Calvin, or evade hard questions or provide arguments that result in interpretations that conflict with direct scriptural statements. Not surprisingly, you also find it necessary to change the meanings of words.

Not using an alternate legitimate meaning as in the fact that "world" or "all" does not always mean every individual specifically. You claim that "chosen" actually means you chose.

Yes. Is it possible that this could be true of you?

I think the latter is more likely since a) scripture led me away from your position, b) my arguments are consistent with the various relevant scriptures and I am willing to change if shown they are not as opposed to you who creates contradictions between scriptures by your interpretations, c) your use of straw men arguments and persistent attempts to tell us what we believe, d) your misuse of scripture, e) your denial of the meanings of words when convenient, f) your disrespect for the sovereignty of God, and g) your elevation and exaltation of man... even giving him credit for the decisive act that saves him.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

This thread has gone beyond the usual 20 page limitation---if you wish to continue with discussion please form another thread

Thanks!

Bro. David