1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Congratulations Dr. Maurice Robinson!

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jun 8, 2014.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Maurice Robinson, scholar of textual criticism and professor at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, has been honored in two ways in recent days.

1. He has been named research professor at SEBTS, letting him work on some major projects in the area of Byzantine priority textual criticism, including a textual commentary on the Byzantine text. (Can't wait!) Here's the announcement: http://www.sebts.edu/headlines/articles/Spring2014MariceRobinson.aspx

2. He was presented with a festschrift (a volume of essays in honor of him and his work) at his office by Dr. David Alan Black, Pastor Abidan Shah and my son, Dr. Paul Himes. The book will be available shortly on Amazon, and is entitled, Digging for the Truth - Collected Essays regarding the Byzantine Text of the Greek New Testament; A Festschrift in Honor of Maurice A. Robinson. There will be a more public presentation in the fall in chapel at SEBTS. Here is Paul's blog about the presentation: http://paroikosmissionarykid.blogspot.jp/2014/06/festschrift-for-textual-scholar-dr.html.

Congratulations big time, Dr. Robinson!

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I can get a copy of the festschrift, I hope to review it here on the BB. I think it will be an excellent addition to the literature. In particular I'm looking forward to reading the contribution by Timothy Friberg (who with his wife Barbara and Neva Mille have produced an excellent analytical lexicon). Another I'm looking forward to is the essay by Dr. James A. Borland. (Does that name sound familiar, BB denizens?) :type:

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noticed you "forgot" to mention the chapter by John R. Himes entitled “A Translator Takes a Linguistic Look at Mark’s Gospel.” Congrats, dude!

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is euquV/euqewV?

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    = Immediately

A frequently used word in Mark's gospel.

Rob

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As in?:

10 And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens rent asunder, and the Spirit as a dove descending upon him:
    12 And straightway the Spirit driveth him forth into the wilderness.
    18 And straightway they left the nets, and followed him.
    20 And straightway he called them: and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants, and went after him.
    21 And they go into Capernaum; and straightway on the sabbath day he entered into the synagogue and taught.
    23 And straightway there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out,
    28 And the report of him went out straightway everywhere into all the region of Galilee round about.
    29 And straightway, when they were come out of the synagogue, they came into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John.
    30 Now Simon`s wife`s mother lay sick of a fever; and straightway they tell him of her:
    42 And straightway the leprosy departed from him, and he was made clean.
    43 And he strictly charged him, and straightway sent him out, Mk 1 ASV

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL - yep

I forgot to consider the audience. :tongue3:

Rob

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As usual, I like Pink on this:

"A characteristic term which occurs with great frequency in Mark's Gospel is the Greek word Eutheos," which is variously translated "straight away, immediately" etc. Notice a few of the occurrences of this word in the first chapter alone: "And straight away coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him" (v. 10). "And immediately the Spirit drove Him into the wilderness" (v. 12). "And when He had gone a little further, He saw James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, who also were in the ship mending their nets, And straight away He called them" (vv. 19,20). "And they went into Capernaum; and straight away on the sabbath day He entered into the synagogue, and taught" (v. 21). "And immediately when they were come out of the synagogue, they entered into the house of Simon" (v. 29). "And He came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up, and immediately the fever left her" (v. 31). "And He straight away charged him, and immediately sent him away" (v. 43).

In all, this word is found no less than forty times in Mark’s Gospel. It is a most suggestive and expressive term, bringing out the perfections of God’s Servant by showing us how He served. There was no tardiness about Christ’s service, but "straight away" He was ever about His "Father’s business." There was no delay, but "immediately" He performed the work given Him to do. This word tells of the promptitude of His service and the urgency of His mission. There was no holding back, no reluctance, no slackness, but a blessed "immediateness" about all His work. We should all learn from this perfect example which He has left us."

Mark: The Gospel of Immediacy?, A.W. Pink

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So he will be doing something sililiar to what Dr Metzger did for textual commentary on CT Greek edition?

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, man. Somehow someone let me participate in the project, and I was honored to honor Dr. Robinson, and had a blast doing it!

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is correct (assuming you meant to write "similar" and not "sillier" :smilewinkgrin:).

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    fat fingers, small smart phone!

13. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It sounded like it was described as a digital version though. "This edition will be published in a Bible software program and will serve New Testament scholarship." Hopefully a paper version will come out too.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Robinson has done a lot in the digital arena, so maybe the textual commentary will be too. I'd enjoy having a book in my hand too, though.

15. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Textual criticism is one of the exceptions in my preference for a "book-in-hand" hardback.

These books are usually full of references and various sources.
    Digital research there is exponentially quicker and easier for looking up other sources.

I'll have a number of panels open, Greek or Hebrew texts some manuscripts, as well as a lexicon or two.

I like to examine the apparatus and look at the original source of the documents if they're available.

I sure hope Logos is offered the chance to publish it without delay.

Rob

16. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Congratulations and major kudos to the good Doctor!

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both formats would make me happy! :thumbsup:

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was glad to see your Dad has an essay in the book. Looking forward to reading it.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "

isn't that 'stuff usually reserved for Bibleworks/Accordance forst though?

20. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Congratulations on your publication, John! For myself, I can't wait for the volume to become available on the USA Amazon site! I've read a number of the essays but not in final form. I read my dad's before he presented it at a meeting a few years ago.