1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Congressman Wants to Move Income Tax Day

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Sherrie, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Congressman Wants to Move Income Tax Day
    By David Brody, Washington, D.C., correspondent

There is a proposal in Congress to change tax day — to the day before you vote.

A member of the U.S. House of Representatives wants to move the date for when your taxes must be filed. Instead of April 15, Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, R-Md., wants to place Income Tax Day right before the national elections in November.

His scenario: You file your taxes and have to pay thousands of dollars to the federal government on the first Monday in November. The next day, you vote. Bartlett thinks by moving the day, voters will be more engaged in the process.

"I think that they might vote a little differently," he said. "I think Americans might make different choices if they have the price of government in their minds when they cast their ballots."

According to this philosophy, if you vote for a president who has raised your taxes, why wait for the bill to come in months later? It may be out of your mind at that point, explained Dan Clifton, with Americans for Tax Reform.

"When we go to the ballot box we are voting for services and the cost for those services that are going to be provided to us by the politicians and as of right now, it's nearly six months removed away from those taxpayers," Clifton said.

Bartlett said there's another reason for the change: Americans need to realize that the tax burden in this country is way too high.

"The Bible says it's more blessed to give than to receive," Bartlett said. "(But) I have yet to talk to the first American who had a good warm feeling on April 15 because most of the taxes the government had forcibly taken from them was used on philanthropic things."

Bartlett promised he could get more 100 cosponsors for the bill. Whether he can get a majority in the House may prove to be another matter.

Bartlett introduced the idea for a tax day change in the last session of Congress but it didn't go anywhere. He thinks the chances are now much better.

2. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

I like the idea.

I think others, like car dealerships (BRING YOUR REFUND IN TODAY AND DRIVE A NEW CAR AWAY!!), finance companies (SHOW US YOUR RETURN, WE GOT MONEY TO BURN!), and WalMart (WE WANT ALL YOUR TAX REFUND MONEY!!!!! BIG SALE ON CHEAP CHINESE JUNK!) would love to extend their sales pitches another 6 months or so, too.

3. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

I also like the idea.

4. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

[ May 26, 2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: 3907 ]

5. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

I'm not very learned in the way government works as far as passing laws and such, but I would think that Congress would have the ability to make such a change.

I think it would commercialize Christmas even more than ever...People would file in November and receive their refunds just in time for the "Month of Madness" that is called December.

But, it would give those who have to send in money a little more time to save it up.

6. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

I think everyone in America should pay their fare share. What would really be nice is for every red blooded American who would pay, is to wait until Apr 15th and everyone send in their forms all at the same time to the same taxing center. What a wonderful time they would have. They could just wade through the forms and pick out any that they wanted to check. I think it is time for tea, anyone interested?

Thanks -----Bart

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I'd like to nominate the

[​IMG] 12th of NEVER! [​IMG]

I would like a national sales tax. If you can afford to spend it, you can afford to be taxed on it. If you're too poor to spend, you shouldn't have to pay....

Diane

8. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

I agree, Diane.

Too few people are carrying too much of the tax burden right now.

It riles me to see someone who only works long enough to get two or three paychecks per job, file their taxes and get a $4000 refund ($3800 of which they never paid in -- it comes out of our pocket). The EIC is an incentive to not work.

9. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

How wonderful is the Word of God as it is always applicable to our every care and comfort.

Mal. 3:5 James 5:3-4

Praise the Lord!

Thanks -----Bart

10. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I believe a 12 or 15% flat tax across the board would be the best bet. If everyone paid their fair share I bet 10% across the board would be plenty.

11. Charlesga

Charlesga New Member

I totally agree! A national sales tax is the best plan!

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Oh... I disagree, J Barner!

10% to a family making $20,000 could be catastrophic! But to a family making $100,000. the $10,000 would be a missed vacation or a Chevrolet instead of a Hummer.

I firmly believe we should pay a national sales tax and those who can afford to spend can afford to pay.

Diane
    Republican Extraordinaire

13. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

Agreed. Of course, I also firmly believe that most things our government currently handles should be handled privately, and with private funds, but for the things that, if I had my way, would be left, national sales tax is the way I'd like to go.

Not that I think we have to wait till the government gets out of all that it should get out of before such a tax is implemented!

14. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

Yes, a national sales tax would really be more fair. If you don't use it, you shouldn't be taxed for it!
    I'd like to see payroll withholding done away with, too. [​IMG]