1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Consequence of "all" in 2 Peter 3:16

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by franklinmonroe, Sep 29, 2008.

1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Often 2 Peter 3:16 is used as a prooftext to support the inspired authority of the Pauline writings. Peter describes all of Paul's epistles as being tantamount to "other scriptures" (KJV) --
    As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.​
    We usually understand "the other scriptures" to be a referrence to the ancient Hebrew canon (OT). Almost certainly Simon Peter composes his second book after Paul has finished his apostolic writings. If the above verse authoritatively declares that all of Paul's letters are 'scripture', then are these letters described below 'scriptures'? 1 Corintians 5:9 & Colossians 4:16 (KJV) --
    I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the [epistle] from Laodicea.​
    How should we reconcile these mentions of Pauline epsitles which are not preserved to the present day? Can we adequately argue that there actually were no other epistles which are not known to us? Or, does 2 Peter 3:16 somehow not really extend inspiration to all of Paul's works?

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Maybe it was in these other Pauline epistles "these things" were not mentioned that Peter spoke about!?!?

I believe Peter was making mention of some specific things.

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Thanks, Sal. Everyone else must agree with you, since there have been no other responses.

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

See? I'm getting more popular all the time!:wavey: (that's my Sarah Palin smiley)