1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Conservatism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by monk, Mar 30, 2009.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

To my understanding the thread topic dealt with theology of belief not theology of praxis. Just my understanding.

We can be happy to address the theology of praxis in another thread or here if the author of the thread says its okay.

I agree there is certainly an aspect of praxis that is part of our belief and that the Christian pursuit is not purely academic. I just don't know if the parameters of this thread extend there.:thumbsup:

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You forgot number 5. Tax cuts. Every true conservative advocates tax cuts as the cure for anything.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The word for believe is a verb not a noun in the NT. Yet American theology is too often static and accompaniedc with nouns. A theology without the practical is not a theology that God blesses. It is just an empty creedal intellectual theology. James does a good job of addressing that. Henry Blackaby addressed the issue a few years ago when he spoke about having conservative theology and living like practical atheists. I am convinced we are seeing more and more practical atheists among "conservatives". That is really liberalism looking like a conservative chameleon.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I've been trying to nail this down for a couple of years. Every time I try to have the discussion with others, it seems someone has an axe to grind, one way or another.

Yes, that's my experience too.

In SBC circles, this doesn't seem to hold true. You can't be a "conservative" without being an full-blown inerrantist. If you merely hold the Bible to be infallible or dare to point out textual issues in books like 2 Samuel, you're considered a "moderate" or "liberal" by self-described "conservatives." But that may just be a prevailing political ethic, not a theological position.

Could be, but I haven't run into a lot of emphasis on verbal plenary inspiration except in a few country churches in Central Texas where they speak of the Bible like it fell directly from the sky into the hands of the King James publishers. :laugh: But they weren't ugly about it and did not condemn you if you had a different opinion.

Hmm... In my experience, both self-described conservatives and even a large number of fundamentalists give quite a bit of lip service to strict gender roles, but in practice are much more relaxed in the day-to-day aspects of home life.

This may be a regional trait. I haven't seem much of this in Texas.

I think this is probably quite accurate.

I see this in self-described conservatives too. Even those that do not fit any of the other distinctives you've mentioned here.

I'm certainly not either.

I have a lot of curiosity regarding the differences. I suspect a lot of fundamentalists call themselves conservatives because the word "fundamentalist" (rightly or wrongly) has gained a negative connotation. But the term "conservative" seems very nebulous to me. For instance, there's a clear historic background to fundamentalism, with a worthy heritage of staking a claim to the fundamentals of scripture against a "modern" view driven by scientism and the influence of German rationalism. While I personally break company with fundamentalism regarding dispensationalism and the excesses of leading influences such as J. Frank Norris, I understand and can appreciate their stand, even if I don't agree with some of it.

What's the historic background to theological conservatism? Is it simply an attempt to step away from the theological and practical excesses of fundamentalism, or is it rooted in something more definitive?

#24 Baptist Believer, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think it is more of a political and somewhat theological way of reacting to the moderates. There is clear evidence that some have followed a political footbal to stay safe among their friends to keep from stirring the pot and keep their jobs. Among some of the conservatives in the SBC is an effort to protect one another and to secure jobs for their friends such as what Patterson attempted with Claude Thomas when Thomas left the church where he was pastoring because of pressure from the church.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would prefer to keep SBC politics out of the discussion because there are many who are not SBC who consider themselves conservative. Certainly there are those who use the "conservative" label as a smoke screen or political tool, but there are also numerous folks who call themselves conservative who are not involved in underhanded things and are living and working conscientiously as serious humble Christians.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not see Jesus as conservative, liberal or moderate. He was what He should be at the moment. He did as we should when we are led by the Spirit.